Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

I commend both those abilities but as an outside midfielder you need to be able to have that second preference in case you need to utilize it and I wouldn't be having this argument if it didn't appear to be something that could've assisted his game tonight.

All good ryno.
Would it be better if he could? Yep
Is it the end of the world? Nope, just play on the left wing

His team mates are very aware of this and will offer him support when needed.
All good to have a back up option but T-Bo takes it upon himself to in this aspect and Polec has the ability to emulate this part of his game, I believe he should work on his tank and his right foot. This isnt a 'Shit on Polec' thread, this is a general discussion of him and his game and I feel if he wants to be all that we expect now he needs to work on those features.

All good to have a back up option but T-Bo takes it upon himself to in this aspect and Polec has the ability to emulate this part of his game, I believe he should work on his tank and his right foot. This isnt a 'Shit on Polec' thread, this is a general discussion of him and his game and I feel if he wants to be all that we expect now he needs to work on those features.
I'm sure they're all working on it, it just requires confidence to put it to practice.

I actually think there is another warning for him in that article. I suspect we are taking the chance that some serious and public calling out of him will be a make or break situation.

I am going to trust our strong culture to pull this one through and we will see polec make an impact this year, but the club does appear to be setting strong ground rules for his progression.

Very early in the second quarter.

Polec tackles and earns a HTB free on the wing. Plays on and runs around onto his right, hits a leading Chad Wingard with a 30 metre kick off balance, from the outside of the left boot. And deliberately, too.

Just ****ing gorgeous.

The moral of the story is, who the hell needs two-sidedness when you can kick like that with your preferred foot?

Last edited:
Said this before for the bigfooty equivalent of tumbleweeds but honestly think this bloke is tracking towards a top 5 finish in our best and fairest at the moment, just having a great year.

Very early in the second quarter.

Polec tackles and earns a HTB free on the wing. Plays on and runs around onto his right, hits a leading Chad Wingard with a 30 metre kick off balance, from the outside of the left boot. And deliberately, too.

Just ******* gorgeous.

The moral of the story is, who the hell needs two-sidedness when you can kick like that with your preferred foot?
There was a time in the last? where he took a mark 80 out in our right forward pocket, Yeo was able to force him to go back and kick over the mark but he could've ran on and got it into our 50 quicker if he had a right. He only has to go on his non preferred once a game to have his opponent second guess themselves.

Having said that I love him, far exceeding my expectations early on.

Polec's ball use is first rate. Even his turn overs are within centimetres of hitting one of our blokes, generally there more interceptions than ill directed kicks. I think we all knew his kicking was elite but it's his contested game and composure that's blown me away. Just does not panic and makes the best decision with ball in hand in lighting quick time. An absolute asset.

Polec's ball use is first rate. Even his turn overs are within centimetres of hitting one of our blokes, generally there more interceptions than ill directed kicks. I think we all knew his kicking was elite but it's his contested game and composure that's blown me away. Just does not panic and makes the best decision with ball in hand in lighting quick time. An absolute asset.
Even when it looks like he'll get pinged from a hard tackle he manages to get a handball out & more often than not it's to a teammates advantage, that kick on his left when he should've used his right foot was crazy.

I agree he'll need to work on his right but he's supremely talented & still very young in football years so I don't think he'll have an issue working on what is a small deficiency in his game.

Is anyone else amazed by how well he's fitted in at the club in such a short period of time?

I knew the preseason form wasn't a fluke but didn't think he'd be averaging 23 touches, 5 marks & almost 5 inside 50's at 81% efficiency in the first 5 H&A games. All his career high stats have been at Port, he lead the disposals last night with a personal best 27.

I think he'll be a real x-factor in finals over the next few years, along with Bradbert & Wines he's the player most likely to relieve Boak of his weekly tag.

What a jet, just for comparison sakes was going to compare him with the spud we took that year in the draft but that wouldn't be fair on Jasquibs so here's one that shows he's not a bad recruit at all Polec vs Dangerfield

Here's something to consider, as a hypothetical: If you were an elite player, and you could get away with using your preferred leg for 90% of the time and so create a perceived weakness in opposition scouting...then when it came to finals, whip out the fact that you were just trolling and could actually use your non-preferred just as well...that would be something I could see Trollec doing. :D

Here's something to consider, as a hypothetical: If you were an elite player, and you could get away with using your preferred leg for 90% of the time and so create a perceived weakness in opposition scouting...then when it came to finals, whip out the fact that you were just trolling and could actually use your non-preferred just as well...that would be something I could see Trollec doing. :D
Could happen, can see a miracle Didak/Aker goal from his non preferred foot followed by a hand over his mouth 'how did I do that' celebration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember back in 2010 Polec was a pipe dream - no way in hell would he slide to our pick, yet here we are.

Still amazed that we landed him, not because we beat the tingles to get him, just that we got him. Massive coup for our club.

I remember back in 2010 Polec was a pipe dream - no way in hell would he slide to our pick, yet here we are.

Still amazed that we landed him, not because we beat the tingles to get him, just that we got him. Massive coup for our club.

Totes.

I hate to be all ITYS to the doubters, but seriously, opportunities like this are like gold dust falling from the sky.

His ability to put it on the inside or outside of his boot and put it to a teammate is phenomenal, in fact I have noticed other players have started to do the same thing (Wines ana Ebert comes to mind) and I think maybe he is teaching them at training which is adding a whole new dimension to our attack.

And we negotiated the deal so well. We still kept ourselves placed well enough to get who we wanted in the draft and Brisbane received fair compensation. That's how you do deals and keep doors open.

And we negotiated the deal so well. We still kept ourselves placed well enough to get who we wanted in the draft and Brisbane received fair compensation. That's how you do deals and keep doors open.

So glad we're not giving up picks unnecessarily or taking plodders from other clubs to get the deal done. Was a great trade.

To the power of a billion.

Brisbane would see us as good citizens who can be rational when it's time to deal. I'm not going to be churlish and say this may give us a route to the likes of Mayes in future years, but right now the Lions would be happy to get involved with a mutually beneficial 3-way trade in future years because of our glasnost.

The lad is blue chip quality, one stuff up kick aside he was pretty good again & hasn't really had a down game in a Port jumper yet.

I just love the run & carry he brings to the team with White. At times last year we'd have moments where players would look up & not see an option up field, now one or both of these guys along with Boak & Ebo run their asses off & we avoid getting bogged down.

Pure silk no wonder Gav rates him so highly.

So he did one of his jinkey off centre kicks again tonight.

Really loving this kid.

I love the way he can be running full pelt but is able to do a little dinky kick still without drilling it at the lead player. Great skill.

His pace and kicking get a lot of attention but his movement in packs and the cleanness of his hands including his marking are outstanding football qualities. And he's 188cm so gives us height around the ball as well.

His pace and kicking get a lot of attention but his movement in packs and the cleanness of his hands including his marking are outstanding football qualities. And he's 188cm so gives us height around the ball as well.

I loved that player in the third(?) quarter where he got a dodgy handball, was hemmed in by two Cats players and had no outlet options to kick or handball to, but he just thought '**** it' and sprinted in between and right through the two Cats players to get out of trouble, and then found a leading player about 80 metres further up the field than he was when he started.

On a similar note, how good was Aaron Young selling some candy to a superstar of the competition in Joel Selwood on the mark? A fringe player in only his 20th career game and first full game of the year taking on arguably a top 2 or 3 player in the AFL and making him look silly. And only a few minutes after Youngy was almost knocked unconscious. The confidence our team has right now is just ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jared Polec

Remove this Banner Ad

Back