Jarryd Roughead needs to be read the riot act.

Remove this Banner Ad

I do believe that it wouldnt hurt if he watched a tape or 2 of Riewoldt and the like. and in doing so, gets to see him lead and lead and double back and lead again.
ROughead is not this sort of player.

What you're asking for is the equivalent of some in the preseason lamenting that he wasn't leading the pack in the sprints drills.

He's a workhorse.....a Clydesdale. Not a track horse.

His game on saturday night was fine. I did find myself asking who was on Rutten a few times as he came out of defence, but I beleive that has more to do with how we intend to set up when the opposition have the ball and how we're positioned, than to lay the blame solely at Roughead's feet.

I do believe that it wouldnt hurt if he watched a tape or 2 of Riewoldt and the like. and in doing so, gets to see him lead and lead and double back and lead again.

Isn't that what the St Kilda schoolgirl said ?

Seriously, Roughhead plays nothing like Riewoldt.

Why not get Buddy to watch tapes of of Koschitske, and Cyril can watch tapes of Raph Clarke, and see if they learn something. And Luke Hodge can take tips from that great defender, Zac dawson.

This site is just crazy sometimes.

If a lead is ignored you dont just give up and not lead again.
You gotta keep providing options, and if u are not fit enough to do so then why not?

I'm not asking him to be Riew, but a bit more of his work ethic wouldnt hurt when it comes to providing options.

Isn't that what the St Kilda schoolgirl said ?

Seriously, Roughhead plays nothing like Riewoldt.

Why not get Buddy to watch tapes of of Koschitske, and Cyril can watch tapes of Raph Clarke, and see if they learn something. And Luke Hodge can take tips from that great defender, Zac dawson.

This site is just crazy sometimes.

I'd rather he not learn how to put a rubber on another bloke, thankyou.

Ruffies endeavour , application and effort were and have always been spot on and gives his all week in week out.

The teams effort on the weekend can not be questioned. With that effort they will win more games then they lose. What they need to work on is execution.. get that spot on and they are unbeatable.:thumbsu:

You gotta keep providing options, and if u are not fit enough to do so then why not?

I'm not asking him to be Riew, but a bit more of his work ethic wouldnt hurt when it comes to providing options.

It depends if you can take your defender out with you. If they follow you out...stay out and let someone else use the space.

When they showed our efficiency ratio of 47% nearing the end of Third quarter it simply justified how much we butchered the ball. We handed the crows a number of goals - we simply kicked the ball to them whilst under minimal pressure.

To win at AAMI is tough enough. If our efficiency was up around the usual 70% in the third quarter, we most likely would have buried them. Instead, we gave them a way to get back in the game. Over and over again...

Very frustrating.

Roughy needs footballs equivalent of a 'complete makeover'. IMO, it's the way he carries himself which contributes to this perception of him being disinterested and slow.

During the next off-season he needs to holiday with Barry Hall or Jonathon Brown.

Agree.

He needs a concentrated dose of 'angry pills'.

He is built like a brick sh*t house but mopes around like a gentle giant.

He's too nice.

I personally think that our desperation to win and not lose is just not there, the Crows were very desperate not to lose at home on their 20th anniversary, and we just did not show enough desperation when the Crows were starting to get back in the game.
Buddy always try to do fancy kicks for goal and misses, Burgoyne even though how good he is turned it over at a crucial time, Bruce cost us a goal with a turn over, all in all it was a team effort that lost us the game because there was not enough players playing desperate footy when the game was there to be won..

I agree with you 100%. Given a little luck did play a part in Saturday's game with us hitting posts and unusual decisions from the umpires. This above still rings true and I believe has been the way since 08. Adelaide were desperate not to lose. So is Collingwood at the moment, maybe even Essendon I hate to say it. Hawks need to work out where has that desperate winning spirit gone that got us the 08 flag. I don;t see it at the moment. I did catch a glimpse of it in spades at the Carlton game last year. Just thoughts.

While on the topic, how sweet was that Suckling pass to Roughie?
I could watch that all day.

A few more of those could be the easiest improvement our team makes this year.

So Roughie last year has a year that alot of people judged him harshly on, and this year becomes Vice Captain. Personally I think the way performed in Round 1 as a team was average to say the least, but its round 1. Im so sick of seeing fickle fans every year bring out the noose so early in the season to hang some one, or find a new scape goat for an average performance.

Lets be honest, our team line up is easily one of the best in the leagues. Head to head with Adelaide our best footy is alot better then the crows (not to knock them but they have room for improvement which will come).

These threads are rubbish until round 5 imo. Were out for a big year this season, and calling for players heads after the first game is bullshit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you to a certain degree. In todays game, a player who has marked the footy outside of the fifty waiting to spot up the lead doesnt get the 30 seconds, a goal shot gets. They are rushed upon much quickly by the umps. You can not seriously expect a forward to lead hard a 20 metre run and try circle back for a 2nd lead as in most forward set ups the forwards lead, and clear space for the secondary leads usually provided by the smaller options or mids/flanks pushing back in to the forward line.

How do people feel Rough carried out the role of captain on the night?

Bingo.:thumbsu:

He is vice-captain of the club and has a duty to lead by example. On Saturday night, given the bloke's immense talent his game was average at best. The problem I have is that it was not a "one off." He has been largely ordinary for well over a year now with only the odd glimpse of anything better. Yes he scored two goals, but the bigger picture is that he only had 2 shots on goal all match despite pretty much playing inside the arc all night.

I love the guy but he needs to produce much more than he currently does. My reaction is not a knee-jerk one based on one loss. I have some genuine concerns over whether Rough will ever reach his full potential based on his output since the 2008 flag. Yes, he is not the only one in that boat (Birchall is another one who springs to mind) but he is the most important of our players who is performing well below par at present.

I reiterate, this is not a knee-jerk reaction. My observations are based on everything that has happened since the 2008 premiership. You can not just erase the recent past because a new season has started.

It depends if you can take your defender out with you. If they follow you out...stay out and let someone else use the space.
Or better still, get on your bike and get back in there to provide another option without the defender!!

Look, I live Roughy as much as the next Hawk, but from my vantage point deep in the fwd pocket I watch him very closely at every home game.
Time and time again I have watched him and wished that he had the ability to do what I am suggesting.

The reason I watch it is because I have heard both Derm and Carey suggest at different times that this is what Rough needs to bring to his game. I have watched and I agree.
Pair of knobs I know but they do know a thing or two about elite key fwd play.

Wowsers, you sure you were at that game? I thought he showed a lot more endeavour than what he was last year. I thought there was a bit of extra effort and based it on the fact he was given the captains badge so he wanted to lead by example.

No need to look for a scapegoat here, poor skills and running out of puff in the last quarter killed this game.

Just quietly, Cam Bruce needs to have a big one this week.

Where is Guerra?

Deja vu? This thread could be from any week over the last two seasons.

Surely no chance to be dropped now. He was out of form and injured last year, but that didnt see him dropped. Why would he be dropped now when he's been rewarded with the vice captaincy?

I take the absence of comments about his kicking, and suggestions he move to the backline, to be something of a positive.

thought he was starting to show some signs of form myself??

Kikcing certianly looked very good. the new action gets the two
:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Personally, and it pains me to say this but I would drop the big fella for a week to send a statement to both him and the team that any sort of poor work ethic will no longer be tolerated at Hawthorn.

A number of times on Saturday (I watched him closely form my seat at AAMI Stadium) Roughead just refused to chase and was caught several metres behind Ben Rutten. Twice in the last quarter this resulted in goals to Adelaide as Rutten took an uncontested mark across half-back and started the Crows attack.

Looking at Roughead, he is either unfit or does not work hard enough when we don't have the ball. It is unacceptable for his direct opponent to be taking uncontested marks due to the lack of pressure applied.

Roughy is simply not kicking enough goals to allow this side of his game to fall away. At this stage of his career he needs to be better than that.

You can not be serious? If you think Rough needs to be read the riot act, then,

Birchall - Hodge (No Brainer)
Renouf (absolute spud, useless!) - My 5 year old son.. But, Bailey, Johnson, Grimley, Lisle or Lowden
Osbourne - Cheney
Bateman - Smith
Ladson - Puopolo, Guerra
Whitecross - Murphy, Litherland
need to pull their fingers out of their ar.es. I would drop these blokes as they are lazy and look dis interested. I would rplace them with the blokes in bold.

Its about time Clarko makes a statement with these blokes. enough is enough!

Sick of people saying that Roughead should be dropped. Happened all the time last year. It may have been harsh to say so, but this is why it is idiotic:

1. Who would replace him? Whitecross? Lisle? There is no way the replacement is better than Roughhead's worst game. Opposition would be loving it if he was dropped.
2. Roughead kicked 50 goals in 2010, a "horrid" year. He also missed another 15 sitters from 20m and another 35 shots from harder spots. If his goal-kicking improves even 10%, he becomes one of the league's top 5 goal-kickers. Clearly, his efforts last year were good enough to get those opportunities.
3. Against Adelaide he actually looked quite good from the tv. He kicked 2 good goals, another one bounced back from the goal-line. That makes him one of the most effective forwards on the ground.
4. No, I was not there, but he could be forgiven for tiring in the last quarter. We spent 2.5 quarters putting great pressure on in the forward line and kept the ball in much better than last year (for that time).
5. Roughead is a confidence player, and running these threads helps nothing.

The fact was, we ran out of puff as a side. It is only round 1 and there is no need to panic.

I thought Roughy was ok to be honest and tried hard. I have seen him 10 times worse than that before.

If we had taken our chances the game should of been done and dusted by half time and we would be praising these guys.

Our pressure and effort early on was magic. If we can match that for 4 qtrs we will be unstoppable.

Keep the faith.....for a few weeks

We have a new game plan.
We have some new players.(bruce hale
We have some players returning from the wilderness. (sewell, ladson,

If we get it right this week MFC will be destroyed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarryd Roughead needs to be read the riot act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back