Jason Carter

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing to think that if you play someone in their natural position they can come in and do a job, Carter should have been playing weeks ago allowing Cerra/Blakely to play more mid time. The squad depth is there we just never test it out!
Can't agree with most of that.

Carter looked decent, but I agree with the comment that he also looked a bit lost. No need to rush him.

Cerra and Blakely were critical players for us and that game gave their development a big tick. A couple of posters commented on Cerra's chase of Dangerfield. He needs the capacity to do that for the better part of 4 quarters but seems a pre-season or two away from that. For a young mid with decent disposal and decision making the HBF is an excellent stepping stone. Gives them the chance to learn and understand about the play, and to have a hand in controlling it when we go into transition. Both of those players had their defensive abilities questioned, and they are getting an education.

I love his speed and attack on the ball, looks influential in marking contests as well.

He looked a bit shy in a few instances where he was first to the ball, and would give a small handball off to another player in a similar position to him, which is understandable and that won't be in his game after a few more weeks in the side.

In the late stages of the match when we had possession, Dangerfield was trying to mark him but Carter just blew him away with his running and it created more space an alternate leading option.

There is such a strong correlation with the enthusiasm of youth and strong team performances, it forces other players into leadership roles and to lead by example in effort and attack.

Carter looked decent, but I agree with the comment that he also looked a bit lost. No need to rush him.

Cerra and Blakely were critical players for us and that game gave their development a big tick. A couple of posters commented on Cerra's chase of Dangerfield. He needs the capacity to do that for the better part of 4 quarters but seems a pre-season or two away from that. For a young mid with decent disposal and decision making the HBF is an excellent stepping stone. Gives them the chance to learn and understand about the play, and to have a hand in controlling it when we go into transition. Both of those players had their defensive abilities questioned, and they are getting an education.

So one win means that playing Cerra and Blakely out of position all season is a win? Yeah they were good yesterday but both have been borderline liabilities down back this season, we finally pick someone who is talented and most importantly a natural defender and you disagree? You know how young players like Carter become less lost? They play games of AFL. For a debutant against the top of the table team with the calibre of forwards yeah 100% did what was expected and did so in the postiion he will be playing in 2-3 years time! Amazing strategy playing young kids in the right position in a rebuild year.

Playing Cerra as a defender all season has been a complete waste of time and I still think he is quite comfortably our best and most talented youngster.

So one win means that playing Cerra and Blakely out of position all season is a win? Yeah they were good yesterday but both have been borderline liabilities down back this season, we finally pick someone who is talented and most importantly a natural defender and you disagree? You know how young players like Carter become less lost? They play games of AFL. For a debutant against the top of the table team with the calibre of forwards yeah 100% did what was expected and did so in the postiion he will be playing in 2-3 years time! Amazing strategy playing young kids in the right position in a rebuild year.

Playing Cerra as a defender all season has been a complete waste of time and I still think he is quite comfortably our best and most talented youngster.
Almost all midfielders are multi positional players now. And very few of them came to the club with the running capacity and physical ability to play inside mid. Cerra still doesn't look capable of doing that for a full game. In the meantime he does an apprenticeship.

Not sure what you are banging on about with Carter. He had a decent debut in the absence of 2 clear best 22 players. One day he may become best 22. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

What are you basing this assumption that Cerra’s tank is no good on? Did he look gassed at some point to you at the game?

Posters seem to throw that around like it’s a given, but I don’t see the evidence myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you basing this assumption that Cerra’s tank is no good on? Did he look gassed at some point to you at the game?

Posters seem to throw that around like it’s a given, but I don’t see the evidence myself

Agreed

Learning to push yourself to your physical limits is not the easiest skill, and is one that takes a little while for most AFL footballers to master. I just don't think Adam has fully acquired that skill yet...doesn't mean he doesn't have the tank...I think it's more mental.

Tbh, mostly on that he isn’t playing midfield when the club clearly see that as his role long term. He has only had one full preseason so it’s not a concern for me. How did he go in the 2km?

But as with Brayshaw the club/coach see them as mids when they are ready. But they have a bit of work to do to displace Fyfe,Walters, Mundy, Conca et al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, Cerra does not have the tank to play midfield. Pure and simple. He will be a midfielder in time. He is getting valuable experience at the moment and he will be better for it. Better to play him out of position and get games under his belt than playing midfield for Peel each week

Almost all midfielders are multi positional players now. And very few of them came to the club with the running capacity and physical ability to play inside mid. Cerra still doesn't look capable of doing that for a full game. In the meantime he does an apprenticeship.

Not sure what you are banging on about with Carter. He had a decent debut in the absence of 2 clear best 22 players. One day he may become best 22. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

People seem to forget that Fyfe wasn't played inside mid for the first two years - or if he did it was very rare. He played... you guessed it.. on the flank and wing. Mundy? Bell played forward early days for us and north until building into the midfield. There are many examples, starting as an inside mid, performing at a consistent level and staying there is not the norm. It is very much the exception.

I don't understand this 'we are playing them out of position' gripe early days. Not many players can pull off inside mid from year one.

Mate, Cerra does not have the tank to play midfield. Pure and simple. He will be a midfielder in time. He is getting valuable experience at the moment and he will be better for it. Better to play him out of position and get games under his belt than playing midfield for Peel each week

I can’t agree with that, and out of interest, how do you know he doesn’t have the tank to play midfield?

Amazing to think that if you play someone in their natural position they can come in and do a job, Carter should have been playing weeks ago allowing Cerra/Blakely to play more mid time. The squad depth is there we just never test it out!
That's a fair statement to make. Sometimes you don't know what you have until you play em

On T10(E3C6) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can’t agree with that, and out of interest, how do you know he doesn’t have the tank to play midfield?
His fitness base is no where near the level required of midfielders. I have watched every game this season and he does not have the run required for a midfielder just yet. Not saying he won’t, but he requires an off season where he builds his tank. Just my opinion so far on his season to date

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Carter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back