Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Having been around VAFA football for such a long time, I thought it was best if I name my best VAFA team from 1975. My apologies if I missed out on anyone.

The team is:

B: S.Lethlean (Old Xavs) M.Fletcher (Hamp.Rovs) D.Matthews (BT)

HB: B.Bourke (DLS) D.Landrigan (Old Xavs) A.Carbone (W'friars)

C: J.Bowen (Old Xavs) S.Anderson (Hamp.Rovs) R.Fuller (OS)

HF: B.Conti (NOB) M.Pitts (Beau) R.Barnes (Ormond)

F: A.Acreman (Old Ment) M.Crawford (Hamp.Rovs) T.MacGeorge (StbM)

R: M.Blood (Old Xavs-c) D.Artz (Hamp.Rovers) G.Hatfield (OT)

INT: M.Yeo (Old Carey) B.Murphy (Old Ment) P.Considine (NOB)
T.Fellows (Thomastown) L.Wintle (StBM) D.Cleary (Oak)

EMERG: T.Bromley (Oak) R.Booth (Monash Blues) B.Bourne (Ormond)

COACH: Barry Richardson (Old Xavs)
ASS.COACH: D.Scarlett (Hamp.Rovs)

UMPIRES: Mark Gibson & Steve McCarthy

Having been around VAFA football for such a long time, I thought it was best if I name my best VAFA team from 1975. My apologies if I missed out on anyone.

The team is:

Only 5 Hampton reps Jase? Seems a bit unfair, I'd have Chris Sharp from Bentleigh at FF, would have thousands of goals had Bentleigh had an A or B grade midfield.

Glenn Hatfield is sure to raise some eyebrows, in more ways than one.

Come on Jason, you are kidding yourself with the Hampton players. Not one would make any team of the decade, let alone your team. What about Michael Green from Old Xavs, a better player than Blood. Robert Gross from Marcellin and SKOB was the fullback in the VAFA team of the last 50 years, a super star. Wheres Bruno Conti, Simon Eishold, Matt McCarthy, Bomber Burden, Steve Curtain, Billy Nettlefold let alone all of the Collegiens stars from their glory days, as well as the Ormond guys.
as far as coach goes, there is only one 5 time A Section Premiership coach, the great Mike MacArthur-Allen. Richo had it easy, anyone could coach Old Xavs to a flag Jase, even MonkeyScribe.

The reason why Hatfield was in the starting 18 was that I wanted someone to cause a bit of havoc among the opposition. Yes, I'm sorry I included 5 Hampton Rovers players in the starting 18, but what can you do? I wanted to pick Tom Brain as the Team Manager, but I decided against it, the job now going to Peter Harris. I didn't get to see the likes of Green or Gross play but I was aware of their records. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention this but Mike MacArthur-Allen is the Chairman of selectors of my team.

Only 5 Hampton reps Jase? Seems a bit unfair, I'd have Chris Sharp from Bentleigh at FF, would have thousands of goals had Bentleigh had an A or B grade midfield.

I would have kicked 2000 goals if i kicked straight and got more of the pill..

The reason why Hatfield was in the starting 18 was that I wanted someone to cause a bit of havoc among the opposition. Yes, I'm sorry I included 5 Hampton Rovers players in the starting 18, but what can you do? I wanted to pick Tom Brain as the Team Manager, but I decided against it, the job now going to Peter Harris. I didn't get to see the likes of Green or Gross play but I was aware of their records. Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention this but Mike MacArthur-Allen is the Chairman of selectors of my team.

team managers, chairman of selectors and even umpires.. just exactly what is this "team".. why not put a whole club together, "Jascaves best ever club" and you can list water boys, trainers, the hottest chick physio etc etc

I agree with most of it Jase, but NO Bernie Dineen from Marcellin? Surely with the league B&F's he won he has to be thereabouts. A and B grade too??? Always a pain in the butt when we played him!!! An absolute gun midfielder

Glad to see you put Anhnony Carbone from Whitefriars in the team as well. There are less than 10 players who have played in excess of 300 games of senior football at the VAFA in over 100 years and NOT played a reserves game. He is one of them. Pretty impressive. All at the one club too. He played from F Grade all the way through to A Grade, and captained too i recall. Tough and uncompromising.

The team is:

!!!!
Jason, you are one unique cat.
Mate, no offence, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. For starters, your half forward line would rarely, if ever, have played on the half forward line.
Your rover is a maniac, you've got a whole heap of blokes from bayside teams who never played A Grade, you've got a Whitefriars player in the team, you don't have Tim Ockleshaw or Rob Gross, your team manager has never been a team manager.

And the thought of the Hyphen agreeing to a Chariman of Selectors role is the funnist thing I have heard in 2007.

Ormond, Collegians and De La have had some handy players over the decades Jase.

Mate, we all love you here though - keep 'em coming.

Not sure in Lethlean and Landrigan at CHB that you have selected the correct Xavarians there Jase. Disagree with Brian that Green should displace Blood. Greens best work was as a multiple Tiger premiership winning player. Not in the Ammos. For that reason Stewie Loewe does not make the side. Mick Blood, like Wayne Johnston in the AFL, dominated when it mattered...in finals. His tap work was a delight to behold. Oh Brian, if only he had played at the SKOBBS.....
Ockleshaw is a must.
Hatfield, Carbone, Wintle, Cleary...Hmmmm NO!!

The team is:

I would replace Hadfield with Terry Young from Fawkner.

What about two "best teams" there Jascave. Maybe A-C and D grade and below. There are plenty of excellent players that have stayed at their club in the lower grades instead moving to play at a "higher level"......

Brian Cullen from Kew, Steve Drury from the Reds to name just two.

Exactly Jas,
your team is based on only what you've seen, i.e. all inclusions of the Hampton players and those who played against Hampton over the years. Which doesn't really say much when Hampton have struggled to make it in B grade at their best. You've included a few well known Old Xavs and that's about it. Not having a go, but the team you've put forth is relatively an isolated view of the VAFA over the last 32 years. In the end it's your opinion and it's all pretty subjective. But none the less well done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about two "best teams" there Jascave. Maybe A-C and D grade and below. There are plenty of excellent players that have stayed at their club in the lower grades instead moving to play at a "higher level"......

Bongo,
Is that you?

Sharpy is an elma fud. Easy to kick bags of 8 and 9 when your winning by 20 goals. Doesnt do it against the better sides.
And is a shit bloke to boot, absolute coward on the footy field and belts blokes from behind.

Good idea. Sides from lower grade dont get a mention even though they would be stars at A Grade sides. From the districts over the journey and currently we could have Acqualina, Cheevers, Wittman, Moons, Haimona, McKillop.

!!!!
Jason, you are one unique cat.
Mate, no offence, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. For starters, your half forward line would rarely, if ever, have played on the half forward line.
Your rover is a maniac, you've got a whole heap of blokes from bayside teams who never played A Grade, you've got a Whitefriars player in the team, you don't have Tim Ockleshaw or Rob Gross, your team manager has never been a team manager.

And the thought of the Hyphen agreeing to a Chariman of Selectors role is the funnist thing I have heard in 2007.

Ormond, Collegians and De La have had some handy players over the decades Jase.

Mate, we all love you here though - keep 'em coming.

I am still trying to work out why there is 6 on the bench and 3 emergencies.

The team is:

Hmmm...interesting selections here Jase.

I'd agree with about 5 or 6.

Not one selection from St Bernards, Uni Blues, Old Haileybury, Old Brighton, Caulfield Grammarians, MHSOB, Mazenod, Collegians, Uni Blacks, Old Essendon, SKOB, Old Melburnians or Old Ivanhoe.

Hmm??? :confused:

One from De La Salle, Old Trinity (who wouldn't be in their best 10 players of the last 15 years), Old Scotch and Ormond.

Double Hmmm? :confused:

FWIW - I recall playing on Steven Anderson in 1999 when we flogged the Rovers by 20 goals in B Grade. Don't think he showed much that day to justify getting selected in the middle in the best 22 of the past 32 years. Maybe he just had an ordinary one......

It's never easy picking a 'best of' team, no matter what league its in. There were many great names such as Matthew Jackson from Old Brighton (who could count himself unlucky to miss out), Gil McLachlan from Uni Blues etc who narrowly missed out on selection. The players I've selected were players who had played State football, played in a premiership side or won a comp b & f or a comp goalkicking award, which was the criterias for selection in this team. The criterias for selection were:

-Must play at least 1 or more games of State football.
-Must have won a major comp award at least once (ie goalkicking or section best & fairest)
-must have played in at least 1 or more premierships teams.

Again, sorry if I missed out on anyone. But try doing this job yourself, and you'll probably have 5 or 6 players vying for one place or two places in the team. Who do you pick?

It's never easy picking a 'best of' team, no matter what league its in. There were many great names such as Matthew Jackson from Old Brighton (who could count himself unlucky to miss out), Gil McLachlan from Uni Blues etc who narrowly missed out on selection. The players I've selected were players who had played State football, played in a premiership side or won a comp b & f or a comp goalkicking award, which was the criterias for selection in this team. The criterias for selection were:

-Must play at least 1 or more games of State football.
-Must have won a major comp award at least once (ie goalkicking or section best & fairest)
-must have played in at least 1 or more premierships teams.

Again, sorry if I missed out on anyone. But try doing this job yourself, and you'll probably have 5 or 6 players vying for one place or two places in the team. Who do you pick?

OK, here goes with my stab at the 1992 - 2007 Team.

R. Fuller (OS) J. Bennett (Coll) S. Theodore (OMelb)
L. Mahoney (SKOB) N. Credlin (OCamb) S. Lethlean (OX)
B. Conti (NOBs) E. Thompson (MHSOB) G. Bevan (Pra)
T. Ockleshaw (OX) J. Hope (OI) A. Cultrera (OT)
A. Ramsden (OT) D. Richardson (OX) D. Byrne (St B)

M. Blood (OX) Q. Gleeson (Uni Blu) B. Jordan (St B)

I: M. Dollman (SKOB), M. Seccull (OH), B. Corin (DLS), D. Biggs (OE), A. Acreman (OMent), S. Kelleher (Orm).

Honourable mentions to about 150 lads, but I'm convinced the better players tend to play in A Grade Jase.
No guernseys for players from STBMT and Uni Blacks (new to A section).

NB - Gil McLachlan misses out because he wanted to send the Kangaroos to the Gold Coast.

OK, here goes with my stab at the 1992 - 2007 Team.

R. Fuller (OS) J. Bennett (Coll) S. Theodore (OMelb)
L. Mahoney (SKOB) N. Credlin (OCamb) S. Lethlean (OX)
B. Conti (NOBs) E. Thompson (MHSOB) G. Bevan (Pra)
T. Ockleshaw (OX) J. Hope (OI) A. Cultrera (OT)
A. Ramsden (OT) D. Richardson (OX) D. Byrne (St B)

M. Blood (SKOB, OMs, OX) Q. Gleeson (Uni Blu) B. Jordan (St B)

I: M. Dollman (SKOB), M. Seccull (OH), B. Corin (DLS), D. Biggs (OE), A. Acreman (OMent), S. Kelleher (Orm).

Honourable mentions to about 150 lads, but I'm convinced the better players tend to play in A Grade Jase.
No guernseys for players from STBMT and Uni Blacks (new to A section).

NB - Gil McLachlan misses out because he wanted to send the Kangaroos to the Gold Coast.
Very fine team there Scribe my boy, would sneak Grossy in there somewhere and also remind the world that M Blood played for SKOB, OMs and OX. This team would be near unbeatable. I personally would have Simon Wood from OX as rover, one of the best I have ever seen in the VAFA, along with Chubba Dinneen as forwrd pocket.

Very fine team there Scribe my boy, would sneak Grossy in there somewhere and also remind the world that M Blood played for SKOB, OMs and OX. This team would be near unbeatable. I personally would have Simon Wood from OX as rover, one of the best I have ever seen in the VAFA, along with Chubba Dinneen as forwrd pocket.

Hey Brian, what about your old mate Matt Lucas?

He fits the criteria as he won a comp b and f, played state footy( didn't he kick 5 goals in the wet in a state game once?) , was drafted by the bulldogs and played some good A grade finals.

I think he would have a few of these covered

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Back