Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

It's never easy picking a 'best of' team, no matter what league its in. There were many great names such as Matthew Jackson from Old Brighton (who could count himself unlucky to miss out), Gil McLachlan from Uni Blues etc who narrowly missed out on selection. The players I've selected were players who had played State football, played in a premiership side or won a comp b & f or a comp goalkicking award, which was the criterias for selection in this team. The criterias for selection were:

-Must play at least 1 or more games of State football.
-Must have won a major comp award at least once (ie goalkicking or section best & fairest)
-must have played in at least 1 or more premierships teams.

Again, sorry if I missed out on anyone. But try doing this job yourself, and you'll probably have 5 or 6 players vying for one place or two places in the team. Who do you pick?

What a great side!! Hampton have been above C Grade three times in the past 50 years. What a sensational side!! 5 players in the top 22. Please stop commenting.

To mention Hampton in the same breath as Ormond is terrible (rivalry round). Beaumaris, Ivanhoe, Banyule, Parkside, Fawkner, Bulleen Temp are a few clubs who have far better record than Hampton over the past 50 years!!!!

OK, here goes with my stab at the 1992 - 2007 Team.

R. Fuller (OS) J. Bennett (Coll) S. Theodore (OMelb)
L. Mahoney (SKOB) N. Credlin (OCamb) S. Lethlean (OX)
B. Conti (NOBs) E. Thompson (MHSOB) G. Bevan (Pra)
T. Ockleshaw (OX) J. Hope (OI) A. Cultrera (OT)
A. Ramsden (OT) D. Richardson (OX) D. Byrne (St B)

M. Blood (OX) Q. Gleeson (Uni Blu) B. Jordan (St B)

I: M. Dollman (SKOB), M. Seccull (OH), B. Corin (DLS), D. Biggs (OE), A. Acreman (OMent), S. Kelleher (Orm).

Honourable mentions to about 150 lads, but I'm convinced the better players tend to play in A Grade Jase.
No guernseys for players from STBMT and Uni Blacks (new to A section).

NB - Gil McLachlan misses out because he wanted to send the Kangaroos to the Gold Coast.

Treganowan (marc) ?

Sharpy is an elma fud. Easy to kick bags of 8 and 9 when your winning by 20 goals. Doesnt do it against the better sides.
And is a shit bloke to boot, absolute coward on the footy field and belts blokes from behind.
From what I know Sharp kicked big bags in Divvy 1 SFL back in the late 90's when it was a quality comp & has always kicked a lot of goals against all comers. As for being a shit bloke or not...why does that come into picking a side.

The coward appears to be you Saint for have a crack on here. Why didn't you front him on the footy field if he was such a coward & you are obviously such a moralistic type?

Only 5 Hampton reps Jase? Seems a bit unfair, I'd have Chris Sharp from Bentleigh at FF, would have thousands of goals had Bentleigh had an A or B grade midfield.

Glenn Hatfield is sure to raise some eyebrows, in more ways than one.
Dave 'The Freak' Martin would have to rate as the best Bentleigh player that I have seen winning something like 7 comp B&F's in a row across SFL & VAFA as well as 8 or 9 club B&F's, so for mine would be CHB in this side

BTW, the team that you have seen on this thread won't be the team I'll be submitting into the Amateur Footballer's For the Love of the Game column next year. Yes, there will be changes to the team, so be prepared!!

Hey Brian, what about your old mate Matt Lucas?

He fits the criteria as he won a comp b and f, played state footy( didn't he kick 5 goals in the wet in a state game once?) , was drafted by the bulldogs and played some good A grade finals.

I think he would have a few of these covered
Killer Bourke was also a GENUINE Superstar, in my top 5 of players I have seen at VAFA level, could do anything and often did. He and Richo were impossible to stop.

Treganowan (marc) ?

Cougar,

You've got a point re: Trigger, but Richo's probably on the same level, if not slightly ahead. I could slot Matty Grieg in there, but he nicked off to Vermont to win a couple of flags and to continue dislocating his shoulder upon landing after yet another screamer.

"Chubba" Dineen would be in the same category (EFL - turncoat!!!) but I reckon Coxy would probably be stiff to miss out. Maybe I should slot him on the bench instead of Kells or Biggsy?

Frankly, those lads could walk straight in to replace Byrne and Benny Jordan (who joined his bro. at East Point a couple of season ago) without the side skipping a beat.

I tended to reward long service to the VAFA in most of these selections, but there's bound to be a few I missed out on. The wierd one is trying to find standout Scotch lads - I kept coming back to Collo and Humey, but couldn't think of others with the same longevity. Guess they've a pretty even side in the past 15 years.

Oh, and Ed - you're spot on, Jase is cut from the same cloth as ben.carbonaro, if you know what I mean.

Cheers :thumbsu:

I agree with most of it Jase, but NO Bernie Dineen from Marcellin? Surely with the league B&F's he won he has to be thereabouts. A and B grade too??? Always a pain in the butt when we played him!!! An absolute gun midfielder

Glad to see you put Anhnony Carbone from Whitefriars in the team as well. There are less than 10 players who have played in excess of 300 games of senior football at the VAFA in over 100 years and NOT played a reserves game. He is one of them. Pretty impressive. All at the one club too. He played from F Grade all the way through to A Grade, and captained too i recall. Tough and uncompromising.

Pigga Williams from Banyule would fit this criteria. 300 games - no reserves, best and fairest in the comp, club captain for 5 years, 3 time b and f winner and state rep, however, no premiership. Also one of the scariest players ever to play against!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW, the team that you have seen on this thread won't be the team I'll be submitting into the Amateur Footballer's For the Love of the Game column next year. Yes, there will be changes to the team, so be prepared!!

This nuffy "Jascave" is truly one out of the box. How can a bloke who obviously sleeps in the scoreboard at EP for his love of the comp, been so clueless? The mind boggles...

OK, here goes with my stab at the 1992 - 2007 Team.

R. Fuller (OS) J. Bennett (Coll) S. Theodore (OMelb)
L. Mahoney (SKOB) N. Credlin (OCamb) S. Lethlean (OX)
B. Conti (NOBs) E. Thompson (MHSOB) G. Bevan (Pra)
T. Ockleshaw (OX) J. Hope (OI) A. Cultrera (OT)
A. Ramsden (OT) D. Richardson (OX) D. Byrne (St B)

M. Blood (OX) Q. Gleeson (Uni Blu) B. Jordan (St B)

I: M. Dollman (SKOB), M. Seccull (OH), B. Corin (DLS), D. Biggs (OE), A. Acreman (OMent), S. Kelleher (Orm).

Honourable mentions to about 150 lads, but I'm convinced the better players tend to play in A Grade Jase.
No guernseys for players from STBMT and Uni Blacks (new to A section).

NB - Gil McLachlan misses out because he wanted to send the Kangaroos to the Gold Coast.

Scribe, I think you may have swallowed a bit too much salt water down in Elwood. Your team is a noble one but your bench players are, almost to a man, totally out of place here.
But well done Fraser, I like your team. For what it's worth I would have Simon Wood and Matt Bourke from Xavs as walk up starts. Reckon Lethlean is a good player but there were better Xavs defenders than him.

Coxy from Marcellin is a must, as is Bernie. Gleeson out, Ross Young in. To have Benny Corin in and Rob Gross out ain't good (sorry BC).

Oh and I spent my childhood watching NOBS games and always reckon Bruno Conti got a bit too much love - very much a Big V Green light player. Tim Jones and Steve Maloney were absolute stars.
Oh and Frase, Matty Greig would eat this lot alive!
And most of all, Luke Gollant. Should be captain of these sides.

Well done though.

Cougar,

You've got a point re: Trigger, but Richo's probably on the same level, if not slightly ahead. I could slot Matty Grieg in there, but he nicked off to Vermont to win a couple of flags and to continue dislocating his shoulder upon landing after yet another screamer.

"Chubba" Dineen would be in the same category (EFL - turncoat!!!) but I reckon Coxy would probably be stiff to miss out. Maybe I should slot him on the bench instead of Kells or Biggsy?

Cheers :thumbsu:

I'm with you Scribe, the majority of Marcellin players from the late 90's-2004 would pick Coxy over Chubba (just) as the best they've played with, which is a fair rap considering Bernie's record, so Coxy would get the nod as the Marcellin player most deserving of a spot......a midfield of Blood, Cox, Ockleshaw and B.Jordan sounds pretty handy.....
Tregga v D.Richardson is flip of the coin, you can probably grab a 3 sided coin and throw Hawkins from Scotch in as well (lacking in the longevity stakes though)

Scribe, I think you may have swallowed a bit too much salt water down in Elwood. Your team is a noble one but your bench players are, almost to a man, totally out of place here.
But well done Fraser, I like your team. For what it's worth I would have Simon Wood and Matt Bourke from Xavs as walk up starts. Reckon Lethlean is a good player but there were better Xavs defenders than him.

Coxy from Marcellin is a must, as is Bernie. Gleeson out, Ross Young in. To have Benny Corin in and Rob Gross out ain't good (sorry BC).

Oh and I spent my childhood watching NOBS games and always reckon Bruno Conti got a bit too much love - very much a Big V Green light player. Tim Jones and Steve Maloney were absolute stars.
Oh and Frase, Matty Greig would eat this lot alive!
And most of all, Luke Gollant. Should be captain of these sides.

Well done though.

What about Jarrod Frazer JG Hornet?

That chump left his best years at the Kingston Hotel with his black Swedish mate who lived upstairs.

Are any of you muppets serious about your sides and comments?

Dan Richardson v Tregganowan? 6 premierships and multiple competition leading scorer as a 6ft full forward on the best backman each week...you have all lost it. Richardson a walk up start. As is Matt Bourke. As is Adam Jones, the best and only CHF to play A Grade as a genuine CHF in the last 15 years. He was the best player in the competition in the mid to late 90's.

Having been around VAFA football for such a long time, I thought it was best if I name my best VAFA team from 1975. My apologies if I missed out on anyone.

The team is:

B: S.Lethlean (Old Xavs) M.Fletcher (Hamp.Rovs) D.Matthews (BT)

HB: B.Bourke (DLS) D.Landrigan (Old Xavs) A.Carbone (W'friars)

C: J.Bowen (Old Xavs) S.Anderson (Hamp.Rovs) R.Fuller (OS)

HF: B.Conti (NOB) M.Pitts (Beau) R.Barnes (Ormond)

F: A.Acreman (Old Ment) M.Crawford (Hamp.Rovs) T.MacGeorge (StbM)

R: M.Blood (Old Xavs-c) D.Artz (Hamp.Rovers) G.Hatfield (OT)

INT: M.Yeo (Old Carey) B.Murphy (Old Ment) P.Considine (NOB)
T.Fellows (Thomastown) L.Wintle (StBM) D.Cleary (Oak)

EMERG: T.Bromley (Oak) R.Booth (Monash Blues) B.Bourne (Ormond)

COACH: Barry Richardson (Old Xavs)
ASS.COACH: D.Scarlett (Hamp.Rovs)

UMPIRES: Mark Gibson & Steve McCarthy
Landrigan aint a footballers bootlace

Dan Richardson v Tregganowan? 6 premierships and multiple competition leading scorer as a 6ft full forward on the best backman each week...you have all lost it. Richardson a walk up start. As is Matt Bourke. As is Adam Jones, the best and only CHF to play A Grade as a genuine CHF in the last 15 years. He was the best player in the competition in the mid to late 90's.

What about Paul Shukraft (sorry I know thats not the correct spelling) from Ormond? Would he get a look in?

I played on Richardson, Jones and Bourke and Bourke was defnitely the hardest to combat. Richo had some pretty handy players putting it on his chest week in week out.

For what its worth, heres my side of the last decade or so.

Backs G Cox(Marc) R Gross(Marc, SKOB) M Pitts(Beau)

HB J Bowen(OX) N Mitchell(St B) A Thompson(OMs)

C S Collins(OS,OC) L Mahoney(SKOB) D Byrne(St B)

HF P Corrigan (OH) A (WOW)Jones (OX) T Ockleshaw(OX)

F T Harvey(St B) D Richardson(OX) M Bourke(OX)

R M Blood(SKOB,OMs,OX) R Vandenburg(UB) B Dinneen(Marc)

Int: R Young(UB) A Cultrera(OT) A Ramsden(OT) E Thompson(MHSOB)

Emerg: M Dollman(SKOB) D Waters (Marc) D Artz(HR)

Coach: N Bourke(OX)

Chairman: J Horn

Field Umpires: B Goodman, C Donlan.

The above team would possibly be the greatest assembled in VAFA history.

Brian

You are a remakable man and that is a great team except...

Mate, Luke Gollant was six times the player Luke Mahoney is.
Pittsy...Meh.
How many games did Nick Mitchelll play at CHB?
Hyphen or Barry Richardson has to coach, simple as that.

great side and good to have the shock jock taking control in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Back