Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian

You are a remakable man and that is a great team except...

Mate, Luke Gollant was six times the player Luke Mahoney is.
Pittsy...Meh.
How many games did Nick Mitchelll play at CHB?
Hyphen or Barry Richardson has to coach, simple as that.

great side and good to have the shock jock taking control in the middle.

Little Jack Hornet/Brian,

This side is starting to develop.

One thing's for sure, we all agree young Jason was a tad off the mark with his initial unit. Never mind, hopefully the sum total of intelligensia posting their suggestions can mould this team into shape.

Agreed, Grossy was a legend, I had Bennett in there as a Lion, but Christian Davidson was probably the only other standout I could think of. Darren Baxter and funky Carl Dilena are quality players to don the Lions strip, but their impact was fleeting at best. Richie Van den berg did win a Woodrow, in his one and only season, but both he and Ross Young only graced the VAFA fields for a year or two as well. In my book, that makes them ineligible. You can throw Andrew "Mini" Thompson into that category as well - he was invariably on supp. lists at the Dogs and St Kilda when dropping back to help OMs. On that basis, you could also throw Andrew Leoncelli, Anthony and Alex McDonald, Tim Fleming, etc. etc. in too I guess, and that's not fair.

I'm pretty confident most of my initial side played at least 50 VAFA games.

Bustling Bruno got a gig by reputation primarily. He was in his twilight when I came upon the VAFA scene way back in '92. Frankly, I wasn't a big wrap for Frosty Fuller either, so he can get the lemon too.

If you laugh at my bench, that's OK - I can relate to their plight. Care to nominate a De La or two who could slot in ahead of the evergreen and ever reliable BC?

One thing's for sure, if I had to take one of Gollant, Mitchell or Harvey, it'd be nip and tuck between the first two, and massive daylight to Hollywood!!!!

Time to get the Windex onto those magnets, and have a little rethink.

Cheers

Little Frase Cameron

PS - our coach simply must have a 'mo, which I think rules out the Hyphen, but may enable Leigh Carlson to lodge claims. 8 seasons at Collegians for 2 flags, 2 r-up, 2 finals, and 2 missing. 7 seasons at OTs for one B grade flag and only their 2nd ever appearance in A section finals. Great effort with limited playing stocks. Bones is simply Bones - absolute legend fella and coach, but his sides have been so chock full of talent that one wonders if he had to stretch his coaching talents further than everyone else.

Little Jack Hornet,

This side is starting to develop.

One thing's for sure, we all agree young Jason was a tad off the mark with his initial unit. Never mind, hopefully the sum total of intelligensia posting their suggestions can mould this team into shape.

Agreed, Grossy was a legend, I had Bennett in there as a Lion, but Christian Davidson was probably the only other standout I could think of. Darren Baxter and funky Carl Dilena are quality players to don the Lions strip, but their impact was fleeting at best. Richie Van den berg did win a Woodrow, in his one and only season, but both he and Ross Young only graced the VAFA fields for a year or two as well. In my book, that makes them ineligible.

Bustling Bruno got a gig by reputation primarily. He was in his twilight when I came upon the VAFA scene way back in '92. Frankly, I wasn't a big wrap for Frosty Fuller either, so he can get the lemon too.

If you laugh at my bench, that's OK - I can relate to their plight. Care to nominate a De La or two who could slot in ahead of the evergreen and ever reliable BC?

One thing's for sure, if I had to take one of Gollant, Mitchell or Harvey, it'd be nip and tuck between the first two, and massive daylight to Hollywood!!!!

Time to get the Windex onto those magnets, and have a little rethink.

Cheers

Little Frase Cameron

PS - our coach simply must have a 'mo, which I think rules out the Hyphen, but may enable Leigh Carlson to lodge claims. 8 seasons at Collegians for 2 flags, 2 r-up, 2 finals, and 2 missing. 7 seasons at OTs for one B grade flag and only their 2nd ever appearance in A section finals. Great effort with limited playing stocks. Bones is simply Bones - absolute legend fella and coach, but his sides have been so chock full of talent that one wonders if he had to stretch his coaching talents further than everyone else.

Frase the Hyphen had a 'tache for the ages and it plays a prominent role in all the Ormond team photos (together with his full forward Shuey who had a very neat piece of work on the upper lip).

I don't think any De La players warrant selection in this line up. Best I saw there were probably Andrew Mackintosh and Andy Evans - both not quite as good as these guys. Pat and Ben Mannix likewise.
Matt Galbraith and Matt Jackson two others for the mix.

Would it be an idea if you guys can submit your ideas/suggestions of who will be in the 'best VAFA team since 1975' to me in my private mailbox. It doesn't matter what section or club they're from, all players are eligible for selection, and all ideas/suggestions are welcome. I want to put together the strongest possible team, representing the VAFA in ALL sections, not just A & B,as if we are going to play a State of Origin match against South Australia coached by Graham Cornes. Yes, I agree with most of you here, my initial team was a bit off the mark, but you get my idea of what I want to do, and that is to pick the best combined team from the VAFA since 1975. Hopefully I can get the final team in the Amateur Footballer 'For the Love of the Game' column, possibly in time either for Round 1 or Rivalry Round (round 5).

The criterias for selection are as follows:

-Must play in at least 1 state/representative game.
-Must play in at 1 or more premiership teams
-Must have won a major award (goalkicking/b&f comp)

The breakdown for the team would be as follows:

-Starting 18
-6 interchange
-6 emergencies
-1 coach
-1 assistant coach
-2 umpires.

So, get cracking with your nominations!!

Jason, what sort of team has 6 interchange and 6 emergencies?

Saying that they have to had played in one premiership cuts out half the players eligible, including Gollant, Mitchell, Van DenBurg, the list is endless.

Goood work though Jase - slow work day here, as you can gleam by my posts...

Nice idea Jase, but unless it is accepted that the vast majority of the best players to play VAFA did so in the top tiers of the competition (i.e. A & B grade) then it will be a futile exercise. That's why those clubs have remained in the top section - they've had the best players.

To this end, Brian and Jono are pretty close with their selections already.

Posters can rant on about how many guns were running around in the sections from C and below, but frankly, it's almost impossible to match-up the best player from (say) Oakleigh against the 6th best player from Old Xavs over the period, and get a definitive answer. Most will say the Xavs fella wins hands down. I know I certainly would.

Get rid of the criteria and just call for the best 24 to run around since 1975.

OK, forget the criterias for selection, just help me put together the best 24 players in the VAFA since 1975. While the majority of the team will be from A & B sections, surely having at least two or 3 players from the lower grades wouldn't hurt. It'll be a bit like what the VAFA did with the A-D4 team-a combined team representing players from all sections, and the same scenario should apply with this team. After all, the whole VAFA comp doesn't revovle around A & B sections-there are other sections which make up the WHOLE of the VAFA-not just A & B. Remember put all nominations in my private mailbox.

PS C orrect me if I'm wrong but regarding Terry Young (Fawkner), wasn't he the player that was the subject of a major court case between St Bernards & the VAFA in the Supreme Courtin the late 1980's?

Just an opinion, but D.Byrne at Bernies was BOG every time i watched him play, and this was at least a dozen plus times. He would make my HBF easily. Well done Brian, we are two of a kind!

Would it be an idea if you guys can submit your ideas/suggestions of who will be in the 'best VAFA team since 1975' to me in my private mailbox. It doesn't matter what section or club they're from, all players are eligible for selection, and all ideas/suggestions are welcome. I want to put together the strongest possible team, representing the VAFA in ALL sections, not just A & B,as if we are going to play a State of Origin match against South Australia coached by Graham Cornes. Yes, I agree with most of you here, my initial team was a bit off the mark, but you get my idea of what I want to do, and that is to pick the best combined team from the VAFA since 1975. Hopefully I can get the final team in the Amateur Footballer 'For the Love of the Game' column, possibly in time either for Round 1 or Rivalry Round (round 5).

The criterias for selection are as follows:

-Must play in at least 1 state/representative game.
-Must play in at 1 or more premiership teams
-Must have won a major award (goalkicking/b&f comp)

The breakdown for the team would be as follows:

-Starting 18
-6 interchange
-6 emergencies
-1 coach
-1 assistant coach
-2 umpires.

So, get cracking with your nominations!!
what about simon keleher from ormond 3 b and fs in a row,d1 and two c,s whould walk into any A grade team, but he plays for nothing.
not like the pro's in a and b.
some of these FIGS should try and play higher for 0

Just a note for you posters for this thread is when you put your nominations for selections for the 'best VAFA team since 1975 (can be up to 5 or more) put the nominations into my private mailbox. Also, when you put in your nominations for the team, state from which club did that particular player(s) play for, but most importantly, in what position (ie centre half-back, full forward etc). Remember, it has to be from 1975 onwards,and also this team has to be picked like a VAFA state team, to play against South Australia in a hypothetical state game.

Some past OH players worth considering, J. Houghton, S.Meehan, A. Walden, D. Connell, M.Armstrong and G.Phillips. Some more recent ones P.Corrigan, M.Corrigan, C.Steinfort, H.Hopwood, A.Jenke.

Every club has gun players, some are better than others and we generally only watch our own team and their opponents each week so it is very hard to call. But here are a few who dominated games and are worth mention.

P. Kingston (Ormond)
N. Brohier (Old Caul)
M. McConville (Ormond)
M. Galbraith (Collegians)
L. Hawkins (OS)
M. Hazel (OM)
B. Corin (De La)
D. Williams (Banyule) he was fat and slow but could also play.

and for all the OX supporters on here my favorite Xav would be S. Mollard even though people will say there were many better xav's, his bluff was legendary and effective, he was a very funny man and he held down a KPP at 6 foot 1 and 75-80kg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, we should forget the fly-by-nighters. Fight over the scraps if you will, but pick a team from the last 25 years to beat this 25 from the past 13 seasons.

B: Dave Landrigan, Andrew Brushfield, Andrew Dillon
HB: Lachy Ford, Michael Holmes, Ben Coughlan
C: John Bowen, Tim Ockleshaw, James Scanlan
HF: Adam Chatfield, Adam Jones, Simon Lethlean
F: Matt Bourke, Dan Richardson, Sam Johnston
Foll: Mick Blood, Tim Fleming
R: Simon Wood
Int: James Hawkins, Adam Sassi, Andrew Bowen, Ben Cranage, Dermot Dann, Scott Mollard, Ted Woodruff

Coach: Barry Richardson
Asst: Tim O'Shaughnessy
Runner: Luke Hannebery

(Minimum qualification: 3 A Section flags)

By the way, apart for your nominations for selections for the players/coaches, nominate 2 umpires that would be worthy of appointment for this team. The selection criteria for the umpires (not the players) are as follows:

-Must have done at least 1 or more A Section Grand Final
-Must have done at least 1 or more State of Origin/representative match
-Must have won Umpire of the Year at least once

But remember, put your nominations into my private mailbox ONLY. Oh, one more thing, put in how many state games/grand finals that particular player/coach/umpire have done.

Agreed, we should forget the fly-by-nighters. Fight over the scraps if you will, but pick a team from the last 25 years to beat this 25 from the past 13 seasons.

B: Dave Landrigan, Andrew Brushfield, Andrew Dillon
HB: Lachy Ford, Michael Holmes, Ben Coughlan
C: John Bowen, Tim Ockleshaw, James Scanlan
HF: Adam Chatfield, Adam Jones, Simon Lethlean
F: Matt Bourke, Dan Richardson, Sam Johnston
Foll: Mick Blood, Tim Fleming
R: Simon Wood
Int: James Hawkins, Adam Sassi, Andrew Bowen, Ben Cranage, Dermot Dann, Scott Mollard, Ted Woodruff

Coach: Barry Richardson
Asst: Tim O'Shaughnessy
Runner: Luke Hannebery

(Minimum qualification: 3 A Section flags)

Ed,

I believe Flemo hasn't played in 3 A section flags, so if you're prepared to bend the rules, then I'd have "Rocket" Rod Calhaem in a back pocket and you can send Dills to the pine.

:thumbsu::)

OK, I'll try again with this team:

B: M.Seccull (OldHail) R.Gross (StKev) A.Naylor (Orm)

HB: M.Pitts (Beau) A.McKeon (OldMelb) D.Landrigan (OldXav)

C: J.Bowen (OldXavs) P.Considine (NOB) S.Eishold (Ormond)

HF: S.Murphy (DLS) R.Fuller (OldSco) B.Conti (NOB)

F:A.Acreman (OldMent) D.Richardson (OldXavs) T.MacGeorge (StBe)

R:M.Blood (OldXavs-c) D.Artz (Hamp.Rovs) M.Jackson (OldBri)

INT: T.Fellows (Thom) M.Dollman (StKev) J.Manton (OldGeel)
R.Barnes (Orm) M.Yeo (UniBlues) B.Bourke (DLS)

EMERG: M.Ritterman (AJAX) S.Maguire (NOB) B.Connell (Orm)
A.Carbone (W'friars) B.Bourne (Orm) J.Anderson (OldSco)

COACH: Mike McArthur-Allen (Ormond/St Kevins)

ASS.COACH: Laurie Aghan (Old Scotch/Old Melburnians)

CHAIRMAN OF SELECTORS: Noel Rundle

SELECTION PANEL: Phil Stevens, Peter French, Andrew Langford-Jones

TEAM MANAGER:peter Harris

UMPIRES: Mark Gibson & Brian Goodman

BTW, I reckon that team which I've put up (the new team, not the old one) would had played a combined total of 150+ Big V games (not too sure of the exact figure). I reckon that's possibly the most experienced team the VAFA would've ever sent out, if they were to play in a State game against South Australia. The only member of the side that didn't play for the Vics was Adam Acreman, but he's in there because of the 1000+ goals he scored for Old Mentonians in his VAFA career.

OK, I'll try again with this team:

B: M.Seccull (OldHail) R.Gross (StKev) A.Naylor (Orm)

HB: M.Pitts (Beau) A.McKeon (OldMelb) D.Landrigan (OldXav)

C: J.Bowen (OldXavs) P.Considine (NOB) A.Dillon (OldXavs)

HF: S.Murphy (DLS) R.Fuller (OldSco) B.Conti (NOB)

F:A.Acreman (OldMent) D.Richardson (OldXavs) T.MacGeorge (StBe)

R:M.Blood (OldXavs-c) D.Artz (Hamp.Rovs) M.Jackson (OldBri)

INT: T.Fellows (Thom) M.Dollman (StKev) J.Manton (OldGeel)
R.Barnes (Orm) M.Yeo (UniBlues) B.Bourke (DLS)

EMERG: M.Ritterman (AJAX) S.Maguire (NOB) B.Connell (Orm)
A.Carbone (W'friars) B.Bourne (Orm) J.Anderson (OldSco)

COACH: Mike McArthur-Allen (Ormond/St Kevins)

ASS.COACH: Laurie Aghan (Old Scotch/Old Melburnians)

CHAIRMAN OF SELECTORS: Noel Rundle

SELECTION PANEL: Phil Stevens, Peter French, Andrew Langford-Jones

TEAM MANAGER:peter Harris

UMPIRES: Mark Gibson & Brian Goodman

I find it amazing that blokes the likes of Jimmy Bennett, Christian 'Chopper' Davidson and Matty Galbraith do not even get a mention here Jascave!

All of them VIC reps, multiple A-Grade premiership players, Chopper A-Grade 1995 B&F, Galbraith A-Grade 1990 B&F. (not to mention every one of them a top bloke)

It will be very hard to include anyone who didn't play A grade. However, Terry Young from Fawkner was as good a footballer going round in his time - and didn't play VAFA at the highest level purely through choice. I know Glenn Hatfield and rate him as a footballer, but T Young was on a different level. He could be considered for both his football ability and sheer intimidation. In the end, probably neither would make it but if I had to pick one person to stand next to you on the football field I know where I would going....

What started as a crap thread has actually turned out quite interesting Jase.

The reason why I chose the late Noel Rundle to be the Chairman of Selectors of my best VAFA team since 1975, is that no one-and I mean no one-had been more passionate or dedicated to the VAFA cause than Noel. He was Hon. Treasurer of the VAFA for 40 years, and served as Chairman of Selectors for the 1988 and 1991 State of Origin carnivals.

I find it amazing that blokes the likes of Jimmy Bennett, Christian 'Chopper' Davidson and Matty Galbraith do not even get a mention here Jascave!

All of them VIC reps, multiple A-Grade premiership players, Chopper A-Grade 1995 B&F, Galbraith A-Grade 1990 B&F. (not to mention every one of them a top bloke)

Very true. Rick Schober (Sp?) he could really go as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Back