Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go, when will the masses realise that the VAFA in it's Amateur form starts around D1 or D2. I t's a fact that the high grades break the "spirit of the game" yet the ammos allow this to happen, daily. While this thread has mentioned G, Hatfield how does his older bro Steve rate? from memory he won a goal kicking award in A grade, had a crack at Collingwood then came back to he Ammos only to blow out both ankles.

I think you're a fair bit off the mark there barry.. maybe its the new energy drink someone has put in your burbon?

if you look at the top A grade clubs, xavs including, probably 70+% of their list would be old boys from the school or friends of them.. sure a few "gun" players may get recruited by utilising the "networking" side of the ammo's, but i think you'll find most of the kids playing there have a solid affilliation to the club.. if old xavs didn't have a powerhouse feeder, which is their APS school, i think you'll find they wouldn't be such a powerhouse in the ammo's either, and that goes with pretty much all the clubs that have good feeder schools, especially from the APS side.. i.e. scotch, brighton, skobs, caulfield, mgs, wesley and even haileybury

so to say the higher grades "break the spirit" of the ammos is very uneducated and sounds very envious and vindictive...

maybe the gun players you think who "play for the love of the game" in the lower levels only stay there because that way they can keep their delusions of grandure in tact, whereas if they went to the higher grades they would just be 1 amoungst many and therefore just blend in to the crowd...

I think you're a fair bit off the mark there barry.. maybe its the new energy drink someone has put in your burbon?

if you look at the top A grade clubs, xavs including, probably 70+% of their list would be old boys from the school or friends of them.. sure a few "gun" players may get recruited by utilising the "networking" side of the ammo's, but i think you'll find most of the kids playing there have a solid affilliation to the club.. if old xavs didn't have a powerhouse feeder, which is their APS school, i think you'll find they wouldn't be such a powerhouse in the ammo's either, and that goes with pretty much all the clubs that have good feeder schools, especially from the APS side.. i.e. scotch, brighton, skobs, caulfield, mgs, wesley and even haileybury

so to say the higher grades "break the spirit" of the ammos is very uneducated and sounds very envious and vindictive...

maybe the gun players you think who "play for the love of the game" in the lower levels only stay there because that way they can keep their delusions of grandure in tact, whereas if they went to the higher grades they would just be 1 amoungst many and therefore just blend in to the crowd...

Very solid post hater. :thumbsu:

The shortlist for the coaches/umpires for the 'best VAFA team since 1975' are:

COACHES:

Mike McArthur-Allen (Ormond)
Nick Bourke (Old Xaverians)
Laurie Aghan (Old Scotch/Old Melburnians/Bulleen Temp.)
Barry Richardson (Old Xaverians)
Gus Mitchell (St Bernards)
Peter Nicholson (St Bernards/Old Haileybury)

UMPIRES:

Mark Gibson
Tim Sutcliffe
Brian Goodman
Steve McCarthy
Albie Firley
Richard Eastwood

From that shortlist, who (in your opinion, not mine) should be given the honour of being the coach, assistant coach and the umpires of this team?

The shortlist for the coaches/umpires for the 'best VAFA team since 1975' are:

COACHES:

Mike McArthur-Allen (Ormond)
Nick Bourke (Old Xaverians)
Laurie Aghan (Old Scotch/Old Melburnians)
Barry Richardson (Old Xaverians)
Gus Mitchell (St Bernards)
Peter Nicholson (St Bernards/Old Haileybury)

UMPIRES:

Mark Gibson
Tim Sutcliffe
Brian Goodman
Steve McCarthy
Albie Firley
Richard Eastwood

From that shortlist, who (in your opinion, not mine) should be given the honour of being the coach, assistant coach and the umpires of this team?

Hyphen no contest Jase. When he was on his game, he was something else.

Brian Goodman umpired 73 Grand Finals in a row and his hair never moved an milimetre. No contest there either.

For what it's worth, here's my team, from when I started watching my brother in about '88...

B: Cox (Marcellin) Gross (SKOB) Schober (Coll)
HB: Byrne (St Bernards) Bennett (Coll) Fuller (Scotch)
C: Mehrten (Ormond) Tim Jones (NOBS) Kingston (Ormond)
HF: Ockleshaw (Xavs), McConville (Ormond) Luke Gollant (St Bernards)
F: Bourke (Xavs) Schuey(The guy with 'Tache- Ormond) Pat Mannix (De La)
Ruck: Blood (Xavs) Maloney (NOBS) Wood (Xavs)
Inter: Dinneen (Marcellin), Van Den Burg (Blues), Young (Blues), Jordan (St Bernards)
Coach: The Hyph

Exactly Jas,
your team is based on only what you've seen, i.e. all inclusions of the Hampton players and those who played against Hampton over the years. Which doesn't really say much when Hampton have struggled to make it in B grade at their best. You've included a few well known Old Xavs and that's about it. Not having a go, but the team you've put forth is relatively an isolated view of the VAFA over the last 32 years. In the end it's your opinion and it's all pretty subjective. But none the less well done.

Why do you keep highlighting "VAFA". That's an outraaaaaaaaaagee-ous thing to do.

Old Geelong has the hottest canteen chicks.
Great.

UMPIRES:

Mark Gibson
Tim Sutcliffe
Brian Goodman
Steve McCarthy
Albie Firley
Richard Eastwood

From that shortlist, who (in your opinion, not mine) should be given the honour of being the coach, assistant coach and the umpires of this team?[/quote]

Jas,

What about Kevin "Chilli" Sagota???

Still umpiring today, umpired A grade Granny's as Field and Goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason why Peter Nicholson made the shortlist of coaches to be made coach of the best VAFA team since 1975, is because he's defeated the all-powerful Old Xaverians twice in a grand final, once with St Bernards in 2002 and the other with Old Haileybury in 2006-and how many coaches in VAFA A Section football could do that over the past 15 years against a club that knows how to win grand finals in Old Xaverians?

For what it's worth, here's my team, from when I started watching my brother in about '88...

B: Cox (Marcellin) Gross (SKOB) Schober (Coll)
HB: Byrne (St Bernards) Bennett (Coll) Fuller (Scotch)
C: Mehrten (Ormond) Tim Jones (NOBS) Kingston (Ormond)
HF: Ockleshaw (Xavs), McConville (Ormond) Luke Gollant (St Bernards)
F: Bourke (Xavs) Schuey(The guy with 'Tache- Ormond) Pat Mannix (De La)
Ruck: Blood (Xavs) Maloney (NOBS) Wood (Xavs)
Inter: Dinneen (Marcellin), Van Den Burg (Blues), Young (Blues), Jordan (St Bernards)
Coach: The Hyph
3 games of ammo footy qualify does it ??? Richie Vandenburg PLEASE !!!!!!! a few others deserted their clubs in their prime for the almighty $$$$$ - otherwise reasonably happy with that attempt Hornet

Vandenburg played 2 or 3 years and played well enough to make it.
Lucky to have racked up 20 games of VAFA footy - not anywhere near enough to be alongside the majority of your team Hornet..........

I reckon he had a broken wrist in 1997 for more than half the year and then miraculously turned up on Hawthorns list a year later in 1998. In 1996 he may have strung a couple for Uni Blues but us SKOBBERS were battling away in C Grade then so I can't be sure.....

Lose him in your side Hornet - rubbish selection and you know it !!!!

It reminded me of Gil McLachlan who in 1999 played just 2 games of club football for Uni Blues after coming back from overseas travel, and ended up being in the State side (and I wonder how he ever got in, considering the fact that no state selector was there to witness his performances leading up to the state game). I think McLachlan may not make into the 100-man squad, seeing that there'll be plenty of good ruckmen around competing for a place in the final line-up.

It reminded me of Gil McLachlan who in 1999 played just 2 games of club football for Uni Blues after coming back from overseas travel, and ended up being in the State side (and I wonder how he ever got in, considering the fact that no state selector was there to witness his performances leading up to the state game). I think McLachlan may not make into the 100-man squad, seeing that there'll be plenty of good ruckmen around competing for a place in the final line-up.

Jas... Don't you know??

It's harder to get out of the state squad than it is to get in!

And the same could apply to this team-it's not so much a matter of who's in, it's more of who's the unlucky ones to miss out of being named in the final 24.
Regarding the coach, I've decided that the coach will come down to a battle between two of the best coaches in A section over the past 20 years-Mike McArthur-Allen and Peter Nicholson. So who in your opinion (not mine) would get the nod between these two coaches-McArthur-Allen or Nicholson? I suppose one thing you could say in Nicholson's favour is that he's done what very few coaches could do in A Section, and that is defeat Old Xaverians twice in a grand final (2002 with St Bernards, 2006 with Old Haileybury). The case for McArthur-Allen is that he led Ormond to 5 out 6 (not counting 1986 when Collegians won) A Section flags, and very nearly got St Kevins to the A Section grand final when Old Xaverians was in their prime in the mid '90's.

So, would it be Peter Nicholson or Mike McArthur-Allen for the coaching job?

Jase, Mike coached SKOB to two finals wins over Old Xavs culminating in an A Section Grand final vs Marcellin in 2001.
With out doubt the best record in the HISTORY of VAFA football.

I'll be selecting the squad over the Christmas/New Year period, so, you'll have to wait until early in the New Year before finding out who's made it into the squad for the best VAFA side since 1975.

So, I'd like to wish one & all a Merry Christmas and a safe % Happy New Year for 2008.

I wanted to have the team selected from the time I was born (1975) until now although some of the players that will be selected in the team were still playing in 1978. So therefore it's from 1975 right until 2008. The problem would be not of who to put in to the final team from the squad of 100-it's more of who will be left out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Back