Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

IF THE SQUAD IS 100, I BELIEVE PAUL EDWARDS FROM POWERHOUSE/THERRY PENOLA SHOULD BE IN THIS.HE HAS PLAYED IN TWO FLAGS,WON THE GOALKICKING IN THE COMP,REPRESENTED THE STATE 5 TIMES AND IS THE ONLY BLOKE IVE HEARD OF WHO PLAYS FULL FORWARD FOR HIS CLUB AND FULL BACK AT STATE LEVEL?
Rob Gross did it in the last All Australian carnival - Full Back for VAFA /All Australian & Full Forward for SKOBFC in 1994

Oh, BTW, make sure you nominate a coach as well. It can either be an A Section premiership coach (ie Old Xavs Nick Bourke), or a state coach (ie John Fisher) as well as an assistant coach (possibly from the lower grades).

What about Brett 'Bomber' Burden, where is he amongst this team? A champion for Kew and Ormond, A Section Premiership player and genuine hard nut. One of the greatest of all time.
Rob Gross was also the best CHB and CHF in the VAFA when need be.

There's only one "Pitts" who deserves to be mentioned and it's not Murray.
Andre' Pitts - C-D Grade for Commonwealth Bank/State Bank/Soutbank and Prahran (all one club believe it or not) from 1988-2007 (still playing).
357 games (2nd most in VAFA history) over 350 goals, State player on 3 occasions, Club Captain, Premiership player, Club Best and Fairest, league Best and Fairest.

Ignored LOTS of overtures from higher grades and other leagues for a LOT of money in order to remain committed to the one club.

Ohh..sorry.. he didn't play A-B Grade therefore not worth consideration! (and he obviously didn't play for Hampton)

Yes, he will come under consideration for selection, because under my plan, I want to have ALL sections (with the exceptions of Club 18 & Under 19) represented from the period 1975 until now. Having Andre Pitts in my team would be handy.I know Scribe and others might think otherwise, but it would be good to have players from the mid-70's and the 1980's in the side, not just players from 1992-2007.

Brain Drain, wont even bother responding to that post!
Tim Hart chased Ande Pitts for years and couldnt get him over theline. However, its well known that he didnt only stay for the love of the jumper, more similar to Gerard Bevan.
Another star from bygone years was Richard Gilmore from St kilda/South Caulfield, ripping player. You would also have to throw in John Stevens from the Poo Browns, a champ and still going.
Jase, how about a set up similar to the NBA, with first, second and third all star teams! Nick Fraser, Mick Knuppel, Bruce Cohen, Chris Mortenson, Peter Ryan, Luke Gollant, Donuts Donati, Cameron Bruce, Chris Bossong, Christian Davison, Matt Galbraith.......

Andre' Pitts - C-D Grade for Commonwealth Bank/State Bank/Soutbank and Prahran (all one club believe it or not) from 1988-2007 (still playing).
357 games (2nd most in VAFA history) over 350 goals, State player on 3 occasions, Club Captain, Premiership player, Club Best and Fairest, league Best and Fairest.

Ignored LOTS of overtures from higher grades and other leagues for a LOT of money in order to remain committed to the one club.

Ohh..sorry.. he didn't play A-B Grade therefore not worth consideration! (and he obviously didn't play for Hampton)

Not to say he wasn't a great player but......... big fish, small pond.
If he had've gone to an A or B Grade club then he'd be comparable to the rest. It's a true test of a players ability running around at the highest level, not getting a kick among battlers. no offense.
BTW it's only Jas point of view, he's telling it how he sees it, whether how right or wrong it may be.

Sounds like a good player, but not even close to the 2nd most ammo games.

I know one club who had one player on over 450 and another on over 400.

I think from memory Peter Harris played 416 games for a former VAFA club called Alphington and then another 250 games as a field umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone remember Charles Capiron and Ralph bergman from St Kilda South Caulfield now Glen Eira AFc. Both A grade rep players. Capiron at one stage voted as one of the best amateur footballer ever.

Capiron = absolute gun. Didn't he wear #42? Built like Millane too.
Ralphy - saw him kick 16 in a game at StK-Sth Caulfield's ground in 1992 and in the corresponding game at the end of the year played on the wing. Bit of an enigma I guess.

Pitts is coming second to Brabender (OP'S). When it comes to amateur 300 club and life membership ammos only recognise Senior and Under 19 games.

So in theory Pitts is coming second in VAFA recognised games.

Capiron = absolute gun. Didn't he wear #42? Built like Millane too.
Ralphy - saw him kick 16 in a game at StK-Sth Caulfield's ground in 1992 and in the corresponding game at the end of the year played on the wing. Bit of an enigma I guess.

I think you are thinking about Peter Kerian, he wore 42. Charlie wore number 7. Charlie won a C grade B&F and Numerous Club B&F and played plenty of Rep footy.

Yeah but were they senior games, or did they include juniors- Most clubs with junior teams include the junior games..

This is how the plan will pan out. The squad of 100 would be named in mid February, with the squad narrowed down until it reaches 30, and I will put in an apology now for those who didn't make the 100-man squad. The final team will be picked sometime in March, and the annoucement of the team made on both BigFooty and the Amateur Footballer at a date to be determined. So keep the nominations for the team coming in please.

Brain Drain, wont even bother responding to that post!
Tim Hart chased Ande Pitts for years and couldnt get him over theline. However, its well known that he didnt only stay for the love of the jumper, more similar to Gerard Bevan.
Another star from bygone years was Richard Gilmore from St kilda/South Caulfield, ripping player. You would also have to throw in John Stevens from the Poo Browns, a champ and still going.
Jase, how about a set up similar to the NBA, with first, second and third all star teams! Nick Fraser, Mick Knuppel, Bruce Cohen, Chris Mortenson, Peter Ryan, Luke Gollant, Donuts Donati, Cameron Bruce, Chris Bossong, Christian Davison, Matt Galbraith.......
Gerard Bevan - love of which jumper Prahan or Northcote Park??? I thought we were talking purely Amateur footballers over the past 25 years.

Gerard Bevan - love of which jumper Prahan or Northcote Park??? I thought we were talking purely Amateur footballers over the past 25 years.

Here we go, when will the masses realise that the VAFA in it's Amateur form starts around D1 or D2. I t's a fact that the high grades break the "spirit of the game" yet the ammos allow this to happen, daily. While this thread has mentioned G, Hatfield how does his older bro Steve rate? from memory he won a goal kicking award in A grade, had a crack at Collingwood then came back to he Ammos only to blow out both ankles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Cave's best VAFA Team since 1975

Remove this Banner Ad

Back