Speculation Jedd Busslinger

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they keep him?
It depends if they want more draft picks in the first round and how long they think McGovern can play for. If he can play another 2 years they'll probably consider it but Pies will be box seat I think for him. 2 years will give eagles enough time to find another key back and draft a good one.

It depends if they want more draft picks in the first round and how long they think McGovern can play for. If he can play another 2 years they'll probably consider it but Pies will be box seat I think for him. 2 years will give eagles enough time to find another key back and draft a good one.
They still ain’t trading him for one pick in the teens. 0% chance.

Pies don’t have the trade assets imo.

They still ain’t trading him for one pick in the teens. 0% chance.

Pies don’t have the trade assets imo.
Yeah 2 firsts will be the minimum for him in the teens. or 1 top 10 pick that's all assuming his back is sound. Dogs don't have the assets either until the outcomes of players are known.

He's highly rated. He's a KPD so with abilities that are sought after who is still learning after no preseason in his first year and spending most of his first season recovering from surgery. He's very close to being selected but Bevo doesn't like to debut kids until they're ready.
I think we can take Barrass out of any trade.
Can't see him leaving.

If Busslinger isn't selected this year or doesn't show anything, there's no way he's worth a first rounder.

I think we can take Barrass out of any trade.
Can't see him leaving.

If Busslinger isn't selected this year or doesn't show anything, there's no way he's worth a first rounder.
He's only been in the system the 2 years since drafted so his value hasn't diminished. If he had been in longer than the initial draft contract then you could argue it. Players don't lose value from the moment they get drafted like around clubs like enthusiasts like to believe.

I have no doubt if home sickness is why Busslinger want to leave Eagles will meet the demands dogs ask because of their history in making sure their player gets home.

He's only been in the system the 2 years since drafted so his value hasn't diminished. If he had been in longer than the initial draft contract then you could argue it. Players don't lose value from the moment they get drafted like around clubs like enthusiasts like to believe.

I have no doubt if home sickness is why Busslinger want to leave Eagles will meet the demands dogs ask because of their history in making sure their player gets home.
Two years without a game is substantial, even taking injury into account.

Of course his value has diminished.
I doubt any other top 15 player in his draft year have yet to play.

It might not be home sickness.
He might just want to play.

He's uncontracted so the Dogs aren't in a position to make demands TBH.

Being uncontracted would drop his value several places, if you assume the 0 games is minimal, it's still a pick in the 20s at best.

It's unfortunate and I wouldn't like my club to be in that position either.
We have a guy who was drafted in the early 2nd round(Burgiel) and has had a few injuries at very bad times, if he asks for a trade back to Vic I have no doubt a 3rd rounder would be the absolute best we would get for him.

Being uncontracted would drop his value several places, if you assume the 0 games is minimal, it's still a pick in the 20s at best.

It's unfortunate and I wouldn't like my club to be in that position either.
We have a guy who was drafted in the early 2nd round(Burgiel) and has had a few injuries at very bad times, if he asks for a trade back to Vic I have no doubt a 3rd rounder would be the absolute best we would get for him.
Burgiel is a small/medium defender taken at pick 29 Busslinger is a 198cm KPD taken at pick 13,

3rd round starts in the early 40s hence a rough 10 pick slide early 2nd is 19-25 again a 10 pick slide

I think he's definitely dropped in value from where he was drafted, but not a full rounds worth (as in, +18 picks from where he was picked, or mid-late 2nd round).

Last year he was hurt early on with injuries so it was unrealistic to expect he may have played, given the type of player he is. At the start of this year he may have informed the club he intends to request a trade at the conclusion of the season so the idea of him playing makes no sense.

With that being said, he's still very young at 20 years old. He can clearly play, he has 2 years of development and ultimately he's a key position defender. Sam De Koning was taken at pick 19 in the 2019 draft and he didn't play his first game until his second year. In that year he played just one game.

Sometimes not playing isn't necessarily a bad thing either - for a midfielder or a position that develops quicker I'd agree with the idea that he would have drastically lost value but not a key position player. Sometimes playing can hurt your value more if you aren't ready. How many clubs would put Reuben Ginbey, Elijah Hewett, Jhye Clark, Harry Rowston, Jacob Konstanty or Darcy Jones ahead of Jedd Busslinger if given the opportunity in an open draft? These players were all taken in the first round of Jedd's draft (some before and some after him).

I would think he'd be worth a pick at the very end of the first round, or somewhere in the beginning of the second round.

I think he's definitely dropped in value from where he was drafted, but not a full rounds worth (as in, +18 picks from where he was picked, or mid-late 2nd round).

Last year he was hurt early on with injuries so it was unrealistic to expect he may have played, given the type of player he is. At the start of this year he may have informed the club he intends to request a trade at the conclusion of the season so the idea of him playing makes no sense.

With that being said, he's still very young at 20 years old. He can clearly play, he has 2 years of development and ultimately he's a key position defender. Sam De Koning was taken at pick 19 in the 2019 draft and he didn't play his first game until his second year. In that year he played just one game.

Sometimes not playing isn't necessarily a bad thing either - for a midfielder or a position that develops quicker I'd agree with the idea that he would have drastically lost value but not a key position player. Sometimes playing can hurt your value more if you aren't ready. How many clubs would put Reuben Ginbey, Elijah Hewett, Jhye Clark, Harry Rowston, Jacob Konstanty or Darcy Jones ahead of Jedd Busslinger if given the opportunity in an open draft? These players were all taken in the first round of Jedd's draft (some before and some after him).

I would think he'd be worth a pick at the very end of the first round, or somewhere in the beginning of the second round.
Almost think you are better off having us help you salary cap wise as opposed to anything. Imagine we would happily take Caleb Daniel off you to clear some space for example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost think you are better off having us help you salary cap wise as opposed to anything. Imagine we would happily take Caleb Daniel off you to clear some space for example
If we were struggling for salary cap space I'd agree but there hasn't really been any suggestions that there are any dramas.

Have you ever had a conversation with Don Pyke? Times have changed.

What would work for both Dogs and Eagles?

• Dogs would be up there if they had Barrass at full back. For 3 years, they have been 1 KPD short of really competing.
  • Smith will be gone and is likely to get the club a R1 pick - be it Hawks at say 8 or Cats at 12.
  • Barrass has a contract through to the end of 2027 and is likely to be on around $750 to $800k. This was signed while still in the Covid cuts and without the Cap escalator. Tom could get another $250k for the next 3 years and another $800k for an additional 2 years post 2027. Is he interested in adding $2+ million in salary. Plus he gets to enjoy Melbourne and be with a contender. Minimal travel will help him prolong his career.
  • West Coast have the ability to pay a serious chunk of Tom's salary.
  • Busslinger is looking VFL solid but bringing in Barrass only pushes him further down the pecking order.
  • Something is not right at the Kennel with Busslinger. Too much noise and he has not signed on.
  • Busslinger could do a Jamie Cripps and just pack up house and drive home to Perth knowing the Eagles could do a PSD move. Not ideal and would be a bump in the road for relationships but it diminishes his trade value.
  • Dogs are flush with young talls - Jamara, Croft, and Darcy. Are their any more Darcy's due up?

If it is a pick in single digits, add Busslinger to the pick and Dogs get Barrass at a very cheap price (negotiation TBD of the salary paid by Eagles). If it is a mid teens pick, then less salary paid.

Hawks are said to be interested. They would be a better side with Barrass than by adding Smith.

Swans are still nibbling and they have 2 x R1 picks this year.

Tom would be a loss at West Coast but the club has another 2 years at least before it will be ready to climb up the ladder. There are other lesser options on the list but until the club move on from Simpson, Tom is going to be frustrated with the outdates game plan.

How smart did the Hawks look in getting Brian Lake? Over paid yes, but he won a Norm Smith medal!!!

Have you ever had a conversation with Don Pyke? Times have changed.
It is a bit of a

"Well we didnt want to give up pick 10 but in the end, we wanted Bevo to think we were cool dudes so we have agreed to give them what they want. Im just grateful that people think we are cool"

Its not really reality. We make a offer and Doggies either take it or we take him in the PSD basically. This is 100% one of those times when it will or could occur

It is a bit of a

"Well we didnt want to give up pick 10 but in the end, we wanted Bevo to think we were cool dudes so we have agreed to give them what they want. Im just grateful that people think we are cool"

It’s not really reality. We make an offer and Doggies either take it or we take him in the PSD basically. This is 100% one of those times when it will or could occur
You don’t have the first pick in the PSD to make that kind of threat.

• Dogs would be up there if they had Barrass at full back. For 3 years, they have been 1 KPD short of really competing.
  • Smith will be gone and is likely to get the club a R1 pick - be it Hawks at say 8 or Cats at 12.
  • Barrass has a contract through to the end of 2027 and is likely to be on around $750 to $800k. This was signed while still in the Covid cuts and without the Cap escalator. Tom could get another $250k for the next 3 years and another $800k for an additional 2 years post 2027. Is he interested in adding $2+ million in salary. Plus he gets to enjoy Melbourne and be with a contender. Minimal travel will help him prolong his career.
  • Busslinger is looking VFL solid but bringing in Barrass only pushes him further down the pecking order.
  • Something is not right at the Kennel with Busslinger. Too much noise and he has not signed on.
  • Busslinger could do a Jamie Cripps and just pack up house and drive home to Perth knowing the Eagles could do a PSD move. Not ideal and would be a bump in the road for relationships but it diminishes his trade value.
  • Dogs are flush with young talls - Jamara, Croft, and Darcy. Are their any more Darcy's due up?

If it is a pick in single digits, add Busslinger to the pick and Dogs get Barrass at a very cheap price (negotiation TBD of the salary paid by Eagles). If it is a mid teens pick, then less salary paid.

Hawks are said to be interested. They would be a better side with Barrass than by adding Smith.

Tom would be a loss at West Coast but the club has another 2 years at least before it will be ready to climb up the ladder. There are other lesser options on the list but until the club move on from Simpson, Tom is going to be frustrated with the outdates game plan.

How smart did the Hawks look in getting Brian Lake? Over paid yes, but he won a Norm Smith medal!!!
Pick 8 and Busslinger would be massive overs. We don't really need the cap space and even then you can only do it for the years he's currently contracted.

I reckon we'd be trying to separate the deals and do Pick 8 for Barrass and change as a starting point.

Coming into this conversation late, but why talk of trading Barrass ?.

I’m looking at getting a replacement (apprentice) for McGovern. Bring Busslinger in, and train him up to play in tandem with Barrass.

Not too sure of what I would pay for Busslinger, but due to lack of senior exposure / VFL form, his value would have slid since his drafting.

Coming into this conversation late, but why talk of trading Barrass ?.
Hes worth a lot, theres been rumours the dogs are keen, and we have Harry Edwards who is honestly too good for WAFL, he should be playing AFL at this stage. We cant fit Barrass, Gov, Edwards and Buss in the same side, with Jamieson and Bazzo as depth
I’m looking at getting a replacement (apprentice) for McGovern. Bring Busslinger in, and train him up to play in tandem with Barrass.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back