News Jeff Kennett criticises Paul Little, AFL and Eddie McGuire

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennett is correct about boys club.

I don't agree with essendon's stance but it's obvious the AFL cocked up the peptides investigation. Paul Little wanted to argue essendon's case (even if he was probably wrong for doing so) and the other presidents chummed up to Vlad and put the hard word on Little. Boys' club.

Re Kennett. Melbourne is consistently voted the best city to live in in the world. Victoria is a fantastic expanse but has poor public transport. The freeways (which people seem to hate on) are regularly used by drivers every day. If you don't want freeways then we will remain stagnant financially and will not be a booming economy compared to the europes/americas/africas of the world.

Kennett's decisiveness to make citylink/eastlink/ringroad etc was and has been crucial to victoria's rise from the recession of the early 90s.

Yes, public transport is poor and should be improved but they are mutually exclusive things.

I think Victorians are somewhat spoilt. We have all the best sporting events, we have the ability to do whatever we want to do but seem to complain.

I'm amazed how blind some people are because Melbourne is run from Toorak by the Millionaires just look at how they are trying to protect Hird. Eddie has not come out and said what was done at Essendon was wrong NEVER. Watching Ed and Fox on Q&A was sickening as both of them defended Andy D as such a good bloke, these millionaires have influence we can only dream about. How do people think Essendon and Collingwood got virtually 100% funding to improve our facilities, they rub shoulders with the ruling elite because they are the ruling elite.

Jeff can be a big mouthed fool but that shouldn't discount whether they be right or wrong.

Kennett calls out the senior chapter of the brat pack. Holy s***!

Get real, this the premier sporting comp. In Australia, not the summer bay vs mangrove river under 9's ya flaming gallah Jeff!

Although I hated Kennetts politics on this issue I find myself in complete agreement with him about AFL performance recently and on Essendon particularly.

It has been disgraceful and I think the other presidents have acted as a boys club and circled the wagons and colluded to stop the truth coming out.

I always wondered how Essendon had such good mail about the timing of their "self report" well Mrs Hird explains that does,nt she,how anybody who looks at the AFL,s performance recently and could not but agree with Kennett on this I don,t know.

Poor governance from Essendon my arse and they have been assisted in covering up any semblance of the truth by a conniving Demetriou and the sooner he goes the faster we may have a fair competition.

Really how can it be anything other than a boys club none of them have wanted the truth to surface and they have acted like a cartel on this issue of that I am sure.

We laughed about the Asian bookmakers in the Cricket and the bribes in soccer but if you look at this fairly the AFL has been no better.

Planned since 1969 but all previous liberal and labour premiers never built it. It took some guts to build it in spite of the shortsighted views like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why?

Are you joking? Paying additional money to some corporation to build roads that we pay for already through tax? What is the next genius, 'gutsy' move? User pays beaches and parks?

Planned since 1969 but all previous liberal and labour premiers never built it. It took some guts to build it in spite of the shortsighted views like this.

So because it was planned years ago it should be built. Well then why the hell are they building a tunnel before building this and please look at the date!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/10/29/1035683411559.html

Documents dated October 2, 2001, admitted into evidence, show that Department of Infrastructure officials advised the then Planning Minister, John Thwaites, about the possibility of the link being included in the draft Melbourne Metropolitan Strategy, Melbourne 2030, released earlier this month.

"It may, however, recommend that a road be considered on a southern alignment, constructed partially in tunnel, to link the eastern end of the Metropolitan Ring Road at Greensborough to Bulleen Road," the ministerial briefing note said. Attached to another, unsigned, copy of the note was a map showing a dotted line of a possible route joining Bulleen Road to Greensborough Highway.

yeah i imagine my street would return to its previous quiet self, and not the street of choice for those avoiding tolls.
And I would have more money if I didn't have to pay a toll for an existing section of the Tullamarine freeway.

And I would have more money if I didn't have to pay a toll for an existing section of the Tullamarine freeway.
The road either gets build 100% from tax revenue or partly by private $. The latter requires a return. The former requires either more tax revenue or less spending. What would yuo like to cut? Education? Health? Public Transport?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The road either gets build 100% from tax revenue or partly by private $. The latter requires a return. The former requires either more tax revenue or less spending. What would yuo like to cut? Education? Health? Public Transport?
What?

Nonsense. Transurban entered into this contract to make money ad infinitum for themselves, not to lighten the tax burden on Victorians. That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board and that's saying something.
Of course they. The point is, though, that major roads are expensive and we already think we pay too much tax.

Yeah, Citylink was vital. Who ever heard of building roads before then and after. What a genius.

Kennett didn't invent roads, that was the Romans

But he did invent freeways without traffic lights. And he invented he concept of a freeway network.

Victorians had never seen such a thing before!

Nonsense. Transurban entered into this contract to make money ad infinitum for themselves, ...

Not true. The contract expires in 2035 when ownership reverts to the State Government

...not to lighten the tax burden on Victorians.

True, Transurban exists for the purpose of making profit.

It was the Kennett government who privatised it to reduce the tax burdon (mind, it would have been economically irresponsible to build it out of taxpayers money at the time - we couldn't afford it)

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board and that's saying something.

Not even close! :p

Kennett sold $40 Billion worth of assets and then made us pay for a Road that was already there
Yes. Unrealted to each other though. We (Victoria) raise a certain amount of tax revenue and have to fund a certain amount of expenditure. Take away some revenue or add an expenditure and something else changes. We don't pay for using the old part of the road and we don't get the new part or we pay more to use the new part.

The goverment doesn't have a job to earn a quid to spend. They only have our jobs to tax to fund anything. The $40b (take your word on the amount) you refer to was pissed away by John Cain. A good chunk of it in Tricontinental's idiotic lending as a state owned mechant bank.

I am not a Kennett fan but that's another debate. If you want the road you either pay in taxes or tolls or you sacrifice something else. Something else means social wealfare in one way or another.

Back to topic, regardless of roads and politics, Kennet was right about the AFL and about Eddie. 100% right. I don't want more Kennets in politics but I do want more of his forthright comment in the AFL. AFL clubs are lapdogs. We make noise about salary caps but we stand by while the AFL sweeps tanking under the carpet and does very dodgey deals with Essendon and Adelaide. These are fundamental integrity issues. Where is the integrity?

Last edited:
Kennett invented the freeway, that is astounding news?

The fact is that a corporation like Transurban don't go into road building to do the tax-payer a favour. They are in it to make money, a profit. The equation is so simple it beggars belief that it is even a question.

The cost of a road is material + labour costs under government. Under Transurban it is material + labour costs + profit. Why are tax payers bank-rolling Transurban? I mean, it's not even competition if you want to state it that way. It's pure brigandage.

Yeah, Citylink was vital. Who ever heard of building roads before then and after. What a genius.
Kennett was no doubt a visionary, even inventing asphalt.
At least he left "bike paths" for those who follow him.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back