Jeff Kennett - Master class

Remove this Banner Ad

He did well in acting like an arrogant politician. He used his power in the situation to embarrass Hutchy rather than convincingly proving him wrong.
fakeimage.jpg

Whether you like him or not, Jeff's good for footy and good for Hawthorn.

I like presidents like Jeff and Eddy that get on the front foot, promote their clubs and influence the game.

I also think Eddy and Mick have done a great job highlighting the woes of playing for GCS and GWS, and all but ensuring that none of their big names leave. Well done Pies.

Neither.

I want someone I cant remember his name type

With respect, stynes is a loser. MFC is still the old boys club - ask macnamara

Schwab got a personal loan ? Its a Not for profit not a charity for the alumni

Mind you Jeff did sign off on Robsons MBA fees = thats a disgrace too

Not the biggest fan of Sam, but I thought he was fine. In fact I thought both he and Kennett played the segment quite well.

Big loser was Hutchy lol.

Yes the crowd and Kennett's bluster made Hutchy look like a fool ..but from what was said it apears Hutchy was on the money and all Kennett could do was shout him down .

Sam and Kennett are two dinosaurs from the same era, entertaining to watch ..but both lacking credibilty or substance .

best line of the night was

Kennett to Hutchy and crowd in general "Don't try to crawl your way back into the discussion" (or something iof a similar nature) after having shot him down in flames.

Watching politicians on their toes can be very interesting.

Even when caught out in a lie he managed to deflect onto others successfully and everyone ate it up. Goes at the throat like a mountain lion does Jeff.

Was good viewing and one of the best footy shows in zonks.

I actually think Hutchy came out of it looking ok. Jeff talked over the top of him with extreme arrogance but didn't really provide a logical reason as to why Hutchy was wrong.

Jeff couldn't be more full of **** if you ask me.

Hutchy is never good in those situations. Granted, I haven't watched FC at all this year, but Caro usually works him over like a speed ball whenever he tries to debate her. Having said that, he's on a level playing field in a debate with Caro. The way they positioned him and never let him speak for longer than about five seconds...he never had a chance. So you're left with a bloke who's no good in a debate to start with, with a significant handicap, up against a bloke who's spent his life debating. Facts are incidental in that scenario.

I think Jeff was completely bluffing to Craig but that's okay, he is a powerful man and better than Hutch, and lying to that many people so blatantly to fire someone up has been his forte for a long time. Craig may have been right but nobody will ever care, that's life.

Yes the crowd and Kennett's bluster made Hutchy look like a fool ..but from what was said it apears Hutchy was on the money and all Kennett could do was shout him down .

Sam and Kennett are two dinosaurs from the same era, entertaining to watch ..but both lacking credibilty or substance .

so the only difference with the 'dinosaurs' and the current crop is that the dinosaurs happen to at least be entertaining?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching politicians on their toes can be very interesting.

Even when caught out in a lie he managed to deflect onto others successfully and everyone ate it up. Goes at the throat like a mountain lion does Jeff.

Was good viewing and one of the best footy shows in zonks.

Not everyone ....just the studio audience of brain dead morons....who yell and cheer when Sam so much as farts or grunts.

The majority of the viewing public could see Jeff was caught out in an obvious lie, and refused to answer the questions .

Jeff has made a career out of lying so he's used to turning to it when he is in trouble.

Hutchy shot himself in the foot here. What kind of "Journo" breaks a story revolving around the communications between two parties without having actually tried to get comments from either of them? A very bad one, and Hutchy didn't seem to deny Kennett's claim that neither party was approached for comment.

In terms of the actual facts, Hutchy's claims just don't seem to make logical sense. It would seem obvious that the Hawk's were always going to play a wait and see game with Clarkson's contract renewal. His performance in 2009 and 2010 (despite missing out on top 4 by only 1.5 wins+percentage) isn't strong enough that Clarkson has enough negotiating power to push for a contract renewal before the Hawk's board sees how 2011 turns out. Clarkson would know this, he doesn't need to see something in the media to remind him.

It would seem mighty unusual if he hadn't been sat down and told this at the end of last season. Hutchy might be half right, in that Clarkson probably isn't happy with putting off the contract talks, as it puts all the risk on him, and none on the Hawk's board. However, the idea that this hadn't already been communicated to Clarkson just doesn't make any sense.

Clarkson's manager is Liam Pickering, and Hutchy got the info about Clarkson reading the postponement of Clarkson's contract negotiations off Pickering who he works with and is very close friends with. According to SEN this morn, Hutchy was twittering after the show about this fact and that Kunnett is lying.

In this I believe Hutchy. Kunnett as he was always prone to do, just shouted people down with bluff and bluster and hoped people capitulated.
Then Clarkson should find a new manager.

I have no idea who is telling the truth and don't really care. It's a non issue. If Hawthorn perform, Clarkson stays. If Hawthorn struggles, he will be sacked. Hardly a big shock there.

Watching Hutchy get humiliated was sensational television. There is nobody in football capable of standing up to Kennett to his face. In fact, there are very few journalists (if any) in the country capable of doing it, and they certainly aren't covering football. Hutchy isn't the first, we've seen Wilson, Brayshaw, Newman and Maguire wilt in his presence and then resort to cowardly retorts behind his back.

And predictably, Hutchy has retreated to twitter this morning and will no doubt have a go at Jeff in his absence on Footy Classified on Monday.

Hutchy shot himself in the foot here. What kind of "Journo" breaks a story revolving around the communications between two parties without having actually tried to get comments from either of them?.

That was a very clever argument from Kennett. He stated the rule that A is true when B and C is true. He then showed B and C to be true which caused everyone to conclude that A is indeed true.

But the rule that he stated in the first place which is the basis of his argument, is not true at all. He stated that journos never question the parties involved when they are doubtful of the veracity of their story. But if you are convinced that the parties will not give you a truthful answer if you ask them anyway, why would you bother? I think there are plenty of examples where a journalist would not question the parties involved.

Having said that I think Kennett was probably close to the truth then Hutchison.

That was a very clever argument from Kennett. He stated the rule that A is true when B and C is true. He then showed B and C to be true which caused everyone to conclude that A is indeed true.

But the rule that he stated in the first place which is the basis of his argument, is not true at all. He stated that journos never question the parties involved when they are doubtful of the veracity of their story. But if you are convinced that the parties will not give you a truthful answer if you ask them anyway, why would you bother? I think there are plenty of examples where a journalist would not question the parties involved.

Having said that I think Kennett was probably close to the truth then Hutchison.

It seems like everyone has missed the bit where Kennett said the board even discussed delaying the negotiations.

Because it makes the journalist look better. "Calls to Mr. Kennett were not returned" or "Mr. Kennett declined to comment" looks better for the journalist than a rebuttal from him. No comment = Guilty, as far as a large portion of the public is concerned.

In fact, there are very few journalists (if any) in the country capable of doing it, and they certainly aren't covering football. Hutchy isn't the first, we've seen Wilson, Brayshaw, Newman and Maguire wilt in his presence and then resort to cowardly retorts behind his back.

There are alot of alpha males in football but they are mostly morons (guys like Newman, Lyon, Brereton).

The football media hate Kennett because he has an ego bigger than anyone in football but actually has brains to back it up. So even when he is lying (which he probably was last night), he comes away having belittled and embarrassed Newman and Hutchison.

And you are right that they will now resort to cheap shots behind his back having failed to stand up to him.

It was gripping television. An absolute master class from a guy in a different league to those in football. And I agree with the OP - next to pathetic losers in power these days, i'd love a return to politics from Jeff.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. A sense of the Mona Lisa with the enigmatic smile. Perhaps people try to work things to their way of desire as to the outcome.

It is something to beat your breast about but never gets you any further. Jeffrey is a master of the manipulation. Never can tell what the 'pork chop' will do in the end.

Classic master and apprentice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeff Kennett - Master class