Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

This sounds like fantastic news for Kellie and Jeremy - fingers crossed:

New life, near death and a medical miracle: Jeremy Finlayson and partner Kellie open up to Mark Robinson​

Jeremy Finlayson and partner Kellie had a baby in August last year and, in October, they arrived at Port Adelaide. But what happened next turned their lives upside down.

In November, a tennis ball-sized cancer was found in Kellie’s colon and rectum, and it could not be removed by surgery.

It demanded life-saving rounds of chemotherapy and radiation.

In March, scans showed the tumor had disappeared.

Throughout this ordeal, Finlayson joined his new football club, completed pre-season training despite living in a haze of fear and forebode, and somehow managed to play in Round 1.

Some days and nights he would find a room to cry — at home or at the footy club — and for weeks on end would hear a ravaged Kellie cry herself to sleep, too weak and too sick to cradle and breast feed her new-born daughter.
Near death, Kellie found a miracle.

(skip heaps, which you can read in the link below)

Finally, on March 8 after long-awaited second PET scan, they received the miracle news.
Kellie: “I was in the hospital and just about to have another round of chemo and the surgeon said, ‘do you want the good or the bad news?’

“I said, ‘the bad news’. He said, ‘well, you’ve got to get the chemo, sorry, but the good news is it’s gone’. I said, ‘what’s gone’, and he said ‘nothing has shown up, it’s gone’. It was a miracle.

“He’s just had another young guy from up north who came down to have surgery, with the exact same treatment plan as me, and his cancer had doubled. Mine was completely gone.

“There’s no answer as to why, it’s just that the chemo reacted to me.”

Jeremy was training at the time. He got Kellie’s text two hours later. It read: “It’s gone.” Jeremy text back: “What?”

Kellie’s last chemo session was Monday week ago and her next PET scan is in two weeks.

Her next major surgery is in June to remove her bowel, which will require 10 days in hospital and four weeks’ rest in bed. She will be wearing the colostomy bag until September.

Kellie: “Mentally, I think I’m good. If you asked five weeks ago, I was not good because they told me it was done and I had to go through chemo again. It was the sickest I’ve ever been that week.”

Jeremy: “This talk has been great because we haven’t talked about how we’ve felt about it in the house. Hopefully, this gives other people hope. It’s been crazy.”

( from Herald Sun )
Gee they have been through some stuff. Such great news about the successful surgery. Happy to hear and perhaps think before all the slagging. Imagine his wife getting ****ing death threats from Port supporters 😡

Gee they have been through some stuff. Such great news about the successful surgery. Happy to hear and perhaps think before all the slagging. Imagine his wife getting ******* death threats from Port supporters 😡
I didn't get the inference that it was Port supporters. Where does it say that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who has recently gone through Bowel cancer treatment, I have total sympathy for the process, is pretty tough. But to do it with a newborn and to have been misdiagnosed so many times, that is rough. It is also one of the major reasons people die from bowel cancer, ongoing misdiagnosis from GPs putting it down to many other things.

Is a pretty good indication as to why he struggled early, outside of just trying to fit in to a new team.

This weeks guest on Rockliff and Fantasia's podcast is Finlayson. He goes into detail about footy, his partners situation, and his indigenous background.

Last edited:
This weeks guest on Rockliff and Fantasia's podcast is Finlayson. He goes into detail about footy, his partners situation, and his indigenous background.

Haven't but will listen to the podcast, sending strength to him and his partner.
Just an observation but does he look a little like the great Matthew Richardson?

I seriously believe he's as good a pick up as Jay Schulz was for us. Every bit as talented and got the same heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back