Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

This sounds like fantastic news for Kellie and Jeremy - fingers crossed:

New life, near death and a medical miracle ...​

Definitely a very tough time for Jeremy and Kellie and I can empathise with what they have been through. Certainly hope that the medicos have knocked it on the head.

surgery + chemotherapy + radiotherapy != miracle

1652489797942.png

Last edited:
Great reading! His form has definitely picked up as his partner's health has improved. If he keeps following the same trajectory, then he will have been a ripper acquisition!

PS .. Kudos to the club over this time too. Frankly, after first reading about the cancer & the huge disruption to his life & schedule, I was staggered that the club even considered playing him from round 1. On a professional level, it was crazy! But, on a human level, so kind & considerate! From the article it was clear that football was his saviour. I am sure we will hear more in time, but I reckon there would have been a lot of talk at the time over what to do with him.

No excuses. but surely this whole saga also impacted on the rest of the team as they worried about Kellie, and the impact on Jeremy during those early games?

Also, how much of this has been featured in the Adelaide press? Is it well known? I dont live in Adelaide, but just last week my Adelaide-resident brother was bagging Finlayson, so I sent him the article on their struggle with cancer, and he was blown away - He knew nothing about it.

Hell, it's even been reported in the British press!

Great reading! His form has definitely picked up as his partner's health has improved. If he keeps following the same trajectory, then he will have been a ripper acquisition!

PS .. Kudos to the club over this time too. Frankly, after first reading about the cancer & the huge disruption to his life & schedule, I was staggered that the club even considered playing him from round 1. On a professional level, it was crazy! But, on a human level, so kind & considerate! From the article it was clear that football was his saviour. I am sure we will hear more in time, but I reckon there would have been a lot of talk at the time over what to do with him.

No excuses. but surely this whole saga also impacted on the rest of the team as they worried about Kellie, and the impact on Jeremy during those early games?

Also, how much of this has been featured in the Adelaide press? Is it well known? I dont live in Adelaide, but just last week my Adelaide-resident brother was bagging Finlayson, so I sent him the article on their struggle with cancer, and he was blown away - He knew nothing about it.

Hell, it's even been reported in the British press!

Like most people the first I heard of the couple's situation was in Mark Robinson's 4 page feature article in today's Advertiser. That is not surprising because it was a private matter and the family and the Football Fraternity were probably waiting on a medical prognosis before going public. It obviously explains Jeremy Finlayson's inconsistent form early in the season. I will eat humble pie and admit that I was tough on Finlayson and had I know his circumstance I would not have made some of the adverse comments I made.

I would not go as far as blaming the entire team's poor start to the season on the terrible situation faced by a single player but it was obviously a tough time for Jeremy and the great news is that Kellie is in remission and Jeremy has recaptured form.

A pleasing ending to a terrible situation.

Finlayson drops a few he should take and misses a few he should kick, but he pretty clearly has the best forward craft of any forward we've had since Schulz. Very smart footballer who sticks out like dog's balls in what has been a very dumb forward line for the past few years.

Finlayson drops a few he should take and misses a few he should kick, but he pretty clearly has the best forward craft of any forward we've had since Schulz. Very smart footballer who sticks out like dog's balls in what has been a very dumb forward line for the past few years.
So how do you feel about the looming disturbance coming to a functioning forward line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third round pick looks like a steal. Almost makes up for the Ladhams trade.
The third round pick was accepted by GWS in large part due to GWS's acknowledgement that Jeremy's partner had an extremely difficult pregnancy and was still struggling to recover after the birth. The couple were desperate to get back to her family who lived in Port Lincoln, where Kellie was originally from.

About a month after the trade had been made Kellie was diagnosed with colorectal cancer which explained the difficulties she had been having before and after the birth. It was extremely fortunate that the trade had been achieved and the couple were already living in Adelaide so Kellie's Mum could take time of of work to assist with the care of Kellie while Jeremy settled in at Port and tried to achieve some sort of life balance betweeen spending time with his new family, critically ill partner, and training and playing at this new club.

Somebody originally reported the diagnosis on Footwire in late November:

So how do you feel about the looming disturbance coming to a functioning forward line?
Oh No GIF

For a third round pick, he is an absolute steal ... But kudos to GWS for not beings d!cks about it & making the move easy for him. Imagine if it was Essendope that we were dealing with to try get him to SA?
Im not going to defend Essendon, but GWS would know that they'd soon enough have another young-gun Academy prospect coming along to fill the void.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back