Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me thinks that the club is doing the right things and staying out of the controversy of being perceived to endorse Finlaysons language (just look how Koch's words were twisted) and letting others point out the hypocrisy for us.

The other part of me sees this as the continuation of a spineless admin that never stand up for their own.

I agree with the former assertion. There is zero gain for Port to pursue this other than to open themselves up to ongoing attacks from the media, both formal and social. And it will result in no change to the penalty. The AFL already has its out clause about non-comparability between incidents and penalties. Let the AFLPA and journos highlight the inconsistency.

Davies has made it clear the club is concerned about Jez's mental health and that will only suffer more to continue to drag this on.

Take the hit, cauterise the wound, move on.

So queer is acceptable? What if a player is called queer? What if one indigenous player calls another the n word? Can a queer player call another queer player a stick collection? Can of worms
1712738797840.png

this post should not be taken to mean I think Finlayson's behaviour was acceptable. It was not.

So a whole community of people deserves an apology for something said to one person? The idea that somebody feels so offended by a word somebody else said to somebody else when you were not even present, not directed at you at all, to the point that you feel you and your "community" deserve an apology is a level of thin skinned I can't even fathom. You don't even know officially what was even said!
It is written, “You shall not take the LGBTQ+ community’s name in vain”. Swear allegiance to the rainbow flag, or face the consequences.

I agree with the former assertion. There is zero gain for Port to pursue this other than to open themselves up to ongoing attacks from the media, both formal and social. And it will result in no change to the penalty. The AFL already has its out clause about non-comparability between incidents and penalties. Let the AFLPA and journos highlight the inconsistency.

Davies has made it clear the club is concerned about Jez's mental health and that will only suffer more to continue to drag this on.

Take the hit, cauterise the wound, move on.
I hate the AFL

I hate the AFL
Me too. The pile on for Jeremy is an absolute disgrace. All of these self righteous pricks with their over the top opinions would be having a serious impact on his mental health. If they were such caring reasonable people they would accept the apology and move on. He said something in the heat of the moment and in response to something derogatory said to him. Who hasn’t said things in anger. It certainly does not make Jeremy homophobic by any means. Where was the support for Jeremy from these self righteous pricks given what he and is family have been going through in recent time. The behaviour of these arseholes is far worse than a slip of the tongue of a footballer in the heat of battle. Disgusting. And as for the AFL, what a bunch of hipocrites with an extreme case of double standards.

So queer is acceptable? What if a player is called queer? What if one indigenous player calls another the n word? Can a queer player call another queer player a stick collection? Can of worms
View attachment 1955542

this post should not be taken to mean I think Finlayson's behaviour was acceptable. It was not.
I might be wrong but I think "the community" has been using the word queer for a while. Have a sniff around what words / descriptors are acceptable / unacceptable in the disability space now (I think the word disabled is now a no go). Any word used to describe something that isn't the "norm" can see seen as a slur when applied to somebody who isn't a member of that identity group. So buckle up for the merry-go-round of what's currently acceptable / unacceptable.

Me too. The pile on for Jeremy is an absolute disgrace. All of these self righteous pricks with their over the top opinions would be having a serious impact on his mental health. If they were such caring reasonable people they would accept the apology and move on. He said something in the heat of the moment and in response to something derogatory said to him. Who hasn’t said things in anger. It certainly does not make Jeremy homophobic by any means. Where was the support for Jeremy from these self righteous pricks given what he and is family have been going through in recent time. The behaviour of these arseholes is far worse than a slip of the tongue of a footballer in the heat of battle. Disgusting. And as for the AFL, what a bunch of hipocrites with an extreme case of double standards.
But how will I and everyone in the AFL / media let everyone know how virtuous we are if we don't string him up and hang him in the town square. Nuance just gets in the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting how they govern this now ..

So ****** is 3 games does that make *** two games .. what about bumsniffer that's gotta be a more low end and be 1 game maybe a warning..

But if you load up and call someone a super ****** that's definitely 6 games ..

We already know ********er is 20 K ..

Hate too see what a you ********ing F is that's gotta be life

This kind of organised public humiliation will one day be looked at the way we look at corporal punishment. What do we punish people for? Is it retributive or restorative justice? The actual punishment Jeremy will receive in the form of ongoing boos and abuse on match day, plus the online abuse and character assassination is more than enough in the way of retribution AND it sure as hell shows anyone thinking of being openly homophobic in the AFL that society will not accept that behaviour.

Isn't this the goal of of institutional punishment for these sorts of antisocial speech crimes? To promote a culture that eventually takes justice into it's own hands? It takes time and momentum to get people on board but eventually the system reproduces itself without any outside input. This week has proven to me that the AFL community is already there. We know how to punish those among us that haven't kept up. It's how norms are created the world over!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back