Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you, however I'm also of the view that there are too many people who think that anything can be said / implied / generalised / slandered / etc about "middle aged white heterosexual Christian males" without a second thought or care.

I’m sure they’ll be ok with the every advantage possible they have. They are like Collingwood complaining about Gather Round.

Agree, 3 weeks is way over the top. I'm shocked. I remember after the picket incident. He got 6. Bickley broke Waiklins jaw and got 5.

Finlayson, 3 weeks for something that the majority of football supporters could not give 2 stuffs of f##k all about. A $ fine would have been sufficient.

Some people in the victim hood industry and those that pander to it need to be told to pull their heads in and bugger off. Oh am I allowed to say that. Give me a break.
We should give a 2 stuffs of f##k concern about it. It's not good enough, and needs to be stopped.

But the penalties are out of whack, and my view is that it is because you can prove words are inflammatory, or discriminatory, or racist. So you get pinned up as a dartboard. But you can't prove actions are. So a horrible word is a 3 week penalty, and a gut punch (regardless of the thoughts behind it) can be a $3750 fine.

We need to eradicate both, but insisting words are worse than actions means we rewrite the rhyme

'sticks and stones may break my bones, but names hurt me worse'

See, this sort of comment is where the outrage goes over the top. Finlayson isn't automatically a "total campaigner" because he used a homophobic term in a crass manner as a general insult. Yes he's an idiot, yes he's insensitive. But he's not an irredeemably awful human being because he called someone that word on a football field.

People aren't perfect - and those who claim to be are usually the worst of all. Take a step back and realise that people make mistakes and that Jeremy is very likely a great husband, father, son, friend, etc, possibly even to people who are gay themselves. He will learn from this and I for one do not regard him as a "total campaigner" because of one word he uttered.
He's not even an idiot. He's just normal. I think this board has a very left, soft, perhaps young and naive element to it, actually don't think it is reflective of what the majority think. I mean the Voice seemed to 90% support on here. I continue to be perplexed how often the Clique (there's a blast from the past), demand hardness, ruthlessness and the old Port Adelaide way, yet act like total pussies themselves. Baffling.

I’m sure they’ll be ok with the every advantage possible they have. They are like Collingwood complaining about Gather Round.
I want to argue so much with your point, but here's not the place.
This is about JF and the need to eradicate such language from society. And on that we agree.

So the players association complaining that the player not treated the same as the coach. Making a statement after the event is useless for JF. But it does pave the way for when a Victorian players makes the same mistake, only a fine is given because….

Ah yes, the poor oppressed minority of white Christian males who are disproportionately represented in positions of power, wealth and privilege across the entire western world, and do it so tough the world over. Won't somebody please think of them?!?
Do I want to argue this here? No, I agree with you, an individuals circumstances mean nothing.

See, this sort of comment is where the outrage goes over the top. Finlayson isn't automatically a "total campaigner" because he used a homophobic term in a crass manner as a general insult. Yes he's an idiot, yes he's insensitive. But he's not an irredeemably awful human being because he called someone that word on a football field.

People aren't perfect - and those who claim to be are usually the worst of all. Take a step back and realise that people make mistakes and that Jeremy is very likely a great husband, father, son, friend, etc, possibly even to people who are gay themselves. He will learn from this and I for one do not regard him as a "total campaigner" because of one word he uttered.
Yeah, you're laying it down today. Bravo.

Part of me thinks that the club is doing the right things and staying out of the controversy of being perceived to endorse Finlaysons language (just look how Koch's words were twisted) and letting others point out the hypocrisy for us.

The other part of me sees this as the continuation of a spineless admin that never stand up for their own.

Part of me thinks that the club is doing the right things and staying out of the controversy of being perceived to endorse Finlaysons language (just look how Koch's words were twisted) and letting others point out the hypocrisy for us.

The other part of me sees this as the continuation of a spineless admin that never stand up for their own.
Even if this never happened the second paragraph is 100% correct unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, the poor oppressed minority of white Christian males who are disproportionately represented in positions of power, wealth and privilege across the entire western world, and do it so tough the world over. Won't somebody please think of them?!?
So what you're saying is discrimination is bad, unless it's against a group that's disproportionately represented in positions of wealth, power and privilege? 👍

People however do have a choice to start using substances. And you've chosen the dickhead route.
Absolutely. Makes me sick when addicts and junkies say they have a disease. F@!k Off. They have a choice, as we all do regarding drugs and alcohol...

Take them down to the childrens cancer ward at any hospital and lets see them (junkies) argue about "their" diseases...

So a whole community of people deserves an apology for something said to one person? The idea that somebody feels so offended by a word somebody else said to somebody else when you were not even present, not directed at you at all, to the point that you feel you and your "community" deserve an apology is a level of thin skinned I can't even fathom. You don't even know officially what was even said!

We should accept the penalty and move on from that.

What we should be outraged about is that Port (and particularly Port's indigenous players) are routinely used as the precedent setters (indeed, some would say the scapegoats) for stances the AFL wish to take. Proof:

2005 Byron Pickett's bump gets an (at the time) unprecedented 6 week ban where many previous cases did not. To that point you could get half hour videos showcasing white, Victorian based players performing bumps of similar ilk that went unpunished

2015 Sam Powell-Pepper's minor night club indiscretion attracts an AFL investigation and penalty but later, De Goey is charged with sexual assault and even after he reaches a financial settlement with his victim, no AFL investigation is launched or penalty is imposed

2024 Sam Powell-Pepper's reflex bump gets 4 games as a precedent setter while Maynard's reflex bump which ends a player's career virtually 3 games earlier goes unpunished

2024 Jeremy Finlayson saying "f*****" gets 3 games while shortly before Angry Midget Clarkson's equally homophobic "c***sucker" comment gets no immediate suspension. This is despite Clarkson's many previous misdemeanours and the fact that his comments crossed the taboo line of player official interaction and were therefore worse (as I said above compare Player A grabbing opposition Player B by the scruff of the neck to Player A grabbing opposition Coach B by the scruff of the neck or Coach B grabbing opposition Player A by the scruff of the neck- that's what makes Clarkson's act 10 times worse than Finlayson's).

I do not debate the penalties handed out to the 4 Port indigenous players in any of the above cases. I simply call out the hypocrisy that lies behind the AFL's position. They wait until an indigenous player from a "smaller" non Victorian club transgresses before making a stance on issues.
I agree there is an Indigenous angle to this. Was my first thought.

People have a choice if they start using substance's or if they drink alcohol.

Anyway, this thread is living proof why so many LGBTI+ people either don't like or hate football, don't want to get involved in it or walk away from it. People will jump through hoops to justify what was said.
They seem to like AFLW...

It will be interesting to see where the PAFC goes to from here. The Club is in a tight spot as any appeal would bring the queer community out in force. As the AFL is preoccupied with presenting a squeaky clean image an appeal, if it is even possible, would be unlikely to succeed.

I would like us to appeal but I think it would be unwise.
THIS.

But our President acknowledging there is no place for vilification of any kind on the football field and accepting the penalty while at the same time pointing out the utter hypocrisy and double standards of 3 weeks for Jezz with the suspended penalty for repeat offender Coach Clarkson would not present such a wedge.

In fact it would seem to me to be the morally right thing to do and important for the administration of the game.

Good on em. It’s pathetic what Golden Boy Clarko, as supposed leader of men, gets away with.
( I hope the Clarko Norf experiment crashes and burns by the way)
I hope Clarkson gets called to account in the hawthorn mediation. Where there is smoke there is usually always fire and if previous form counts one can easily join the dots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back