Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

38 goals last year to be our leading goalkicker. Ridiculous call.

This is quite funny given your opinion on another forward on our list who averaged 0.02 goals less per game last season over 1 less game.

I think this is a sensible move. Dixon is at the point of his career where he could fall off with injury at any moment. Another experienced head to bring in is valuable. His best football is fantastic, and he's had issues with injury and obviously an insane amount of off-field stress. If he was fit, he'd have played most games over the back half of the season.

I know sometimes we bemoan the care bear best friends club nature of Port under Koch, but I also think it'd be shithouse to delist him given his personal situation unless he was miles off, which he's absolutely not.

Key word: Last year. This year he has massively fell off. We can do better.
I think he's still got the talent but his injuries and the stresses his family is under deserves some compassion and understanding when assessing his value. This combined to produce an underperforming year and a big dip in confidence. Only good can come from treating people well and backing them to come through when they do have talent. One year gives him a chance to lift and earn a spot. Dixon is no certainty to continue and getting Lukosius to the club is a bit of a long shot at this stage.

We can do better.

Just on this, can we?

How? With which players?

We're in a flag window. We need the best list available to us. Low priced experienced backups might be the difference between a flag and no flag. If we'd kept Bonner on the list he'd probably be playing this week.

I think Finlayson is probably 4th on the KPF depth chart. Dixon's age and injury history means he could be bumped up a spot very quickly, same with Marshall's recent injury history.

We've played Ratugolea, Lord and Visentini as key forwards this seasonn, we even played 1 game with both Soldo and Sweet when Dixon and Finlayson were both out.

Key word: Last year. This year he has massively fell off. We can do better.
Gee, maybe there's some off field stuff going on that's impacting him.

The fact he did well for us last year means he can play. If your mind is on other things, you can come across as lazy and disinterested, which is probably what's happened here.

Not saying he was ever the hardest worker, but his lack of work ethic wasn't a massive issue until now.

The only issue really is that I dont know if his family situation is going to get better in the next year. So it still might be quite difficult for him to turn around his form if that gets no better. Here's hoping that it does and takes some of the weight off his shoulders.

I think he's still got the talent but his injuries and the stresses his family is under deserves some compassion and understanding when assessing his value. This combined to produce an underperforming year and a big dip in confidence. Only good can come from treating people well and backing them to come through when they do have talent. One year gives him a chance to lift and earn a spot. Dixon is no certainty to continue and getting Lukosius to the club is a bit of a long shot at this stage.

On compassion grounds, yeah, I can get on board with a contract extension, but from a footballing sense, nah, I’m not taking away the off-field stress and worry, but this season, and he's not the only player, but he plays very lazily to the point where he’s disinterested. If front of goals, he’s been awful. Now yes, that’s a confidence thing, but when Tom Scully is tearing it up in the SANFL, he has to play ahead of Jezza, and for where the list is going, I’d rather blood in our youth than have Jezza.

Just on this, can we?

How? With which players?

We're in a flag window. We need the best list available to us. Low priced experienced backups might be the difference between a flag and no flag. If we'd kept Bonner on the list he'd probably be playing this week.

I think Finlayson is probably 4th on the KPF depth chart. Dixon's age and injury history means he could be bumped up a spot very quickly, same with Marshall's recent injury history.

We've played Ratugolea, Lord and Visentini as key forwards this seasonn, we even played 1 game with both Soldo and Sweet when Dixon and Finlayson were both out.

Absolutely, there is a bloke called Tom Scully; he has teared up the SANFL this season, plus with the additions of Richards and co., he fills up the positions.

Absolutely, there is a bloke called Tom Scully; he has teared up the SANFL this season, plus with the additions of Richards and co., he fills up the positions.
Ok “teared up” is a pretty extreme exaggeration

20 goals from 18 games. Struggled with consistency going goalless 7 times but also never really dominated a game either.

There’s stuff to work with for sure but I’d be shocked if he was considered ready for AFL next year

Has the talent but not the work-rate to maximise it. I get he has off-field issues potentially affecting his on-field performance but the game against Lions where he was causally chasing the Lions players when he didn't have the ball left a bit of sour taste in my mouth and thought to myself, why should he get games when he dishes up with those efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok “teared up” is a pretty extreme exaggeration

20 goals from 18 games. Struggled with consistency going goalless 7 times but also never really dominated a game either.

There’s stuff to work with for sure but I’d be shocked if he was considered ready for AFL next year

Yeah teared out is exaggeration but he has absolutely deserved his spot at AFL level over Jezza.

Just on this, can we?

How? With which players?

Whilst I agree with the premise of your point, I think Bonner is a bad example to pick to argue your point 😂

The fact that Saints have delisted him too says enough.

Backup to who? The only tall forward who is clearly ahead of him is Georgiades. There's no reason he can't play every game next year.
While I agree, it's very weird that you're defensive of Finlayson despite him having all the exact same flaws and weaknesses as our other tall forward who you've spent the last year shitting on. It'd be like if we signed Ned McHenry and I thought he was great.

While I agree, it's very weird that you're defensive of Finlayson despite him having all the exact same flaws and weaknesses as our other tall forward who you've spent the last year shitting on. It'd be like if we signed Ned McHenry and I thought he was great.

Not really. Yes Finlayson is soft but he's also mercurial and he's versatile in the sense he can effectively play small or tall and can also help out in ruck. I see him more like I see Rozee - I wish he was tougher but I can acknowledge what he does bring to the table.

Marshall is just a basic lead mark kick forward who can't compete physically and is totally unsuited to our game style.

Backup to who? The only tall forward who is clearly ahead of him is Georgiades. There's no reason he can't play every game next year.
He lost his spot this year.

He started the year as a tall forward who plays 2nd ruck and his form along with his image went downhill pretty fast. When he came back from his holiday, he didn't really impact the game and really struggled to kick goals.

Given our more contested game style, I think it would be more difficult for both him and Marshall to get a game. As others have mentioned, he played as soft as Marshall but at least Marshall leads. Finny always looks for the easy Joe the Goose type goal and loves to play from behind.

And when I talk about Finny as a backup, I mean I don't want to rely on him as a best 22 player but I'm happy if he comes in and covers for a forward for a while and then go back to the Magoos unless his form lifts which he has in him.

Not really. Yes Finlayson is soft but he's also mercurial and he's versatile in the sense he can effectively play small or tall and can also help out in ruck. I see him more like I see Rozee - I wish he was tougher but I can acknowledge what he does bring to the table.

Marshall is just a basic lead mark kick forward who can't compete physically and is totally unsuited to our game style.

No he can’t.

He may be able to, but he hasn’t effectively done any of those things for a long time.

He’s not fit to lace Rozees boots, I’m no fan of Marshall either, but I’d pick him over Finlayson EVERY week.

Hmmm why are we so cranky about this?

He would be on low coin. He is a first 22 player at best, handy back up at worst.

There are plenty of others that can, should and will go before him. Having him on the list doesn’t mean Scully or whoever won’t get games.

He has had a turd of a year but deserves support and another crack at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back