List Mgmt. Jeremy Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How would you describe his year? Unreasonable? Unacceptable? What are your expectations of him.?

1.5 goals a game and ruck relief. Have a look through the list of players who average as many goals this season and there are plenty of 'reasonable' tall forwards behind him. Or have a look through the better teams and who was playing 2nd/3rd forward and how many of them were significantly outperforming White. People say he is not an AFL standard player. IMO he is a slight upgrade on Dawes who was literally playing 2nd forward in a premiership team. You can't have 22 stars.
The other 17 teams would have at least one tall forward ahead of White statistically both in scores kicked and goal assists, which is equally important. And I think you are overrating White's ability to offer ruck relief. A skinny first year player in Moore gave as much in the ruck as White did.

From memory a 5-6 goal loss where the players put in their worst performance of the year. If White was the difference between winning and losing why didn't he regain his position in the team the following week?

Read my post again for a 3rd tall fwd and relief ruck his numbers stack up.

Which is the role he is meant to be playing in this team.

He is not, was not and never will be a KP pillar.

Could he improve his game with a more consistent and aggressive approach sure, am I saying he is a gun? No.

The other 17 teams would have at least one tall forward ahead of White statistically both in scores kicked and goal assists, which is equally important. And I think you are overrating White's ability to offer ruck relief. A skinny first year player in Moore gave as much in the ruck as White did.

Yes but do you really want thay skinny kid in the ruck just yet. I dont.

From memory a 5-6 goal loss where the players put in their worst performance of the year. If White was the difference between winning and losing why didn't he regain his position in the team the following week?

We had Moore as our only target put White in and we might have been able to do something with those inside 50s

Haters gonna hate White was recruited for a role he has rarely been able to play the past 2 years

I wouldnt mind getting Howe cheaply if the draft is as weak as so many people think. However, i have to be honest and say i do not rate him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanna see some hangers.
images

Think that is the sticking point, monetary offer of what Howe wants and what clubs are prepared to pay are not compatico.
FuManchu metioned it on the previous page, and I also heard Brereton discussing Howe yesterday and he summed it up quite well. He was pretty brutal actually. He said that for someone who is demanding top line KPF type dollars, Howe is a forward who refuses to play in front. He's a one trick pony whose one trick is easily nullified if you take out his run at the ball. He even suggested that if he was to go to one of the top sides he would need to seriously adjust his game or he would spend time in the twos getting 'reprogrammed'. I don't always agree with Dermie but it he made sense. I'm not totally against taking him, but it would need to be on moderate coin and if Melbourne started demanding high picks or decent players, I'd be happy to just forget about it.

You honestly have to question the judgement of people in the football department if - and I should stress 'if' - they are even considering going after a guy with as poor a record as Howe for the amount of money he is after.

You can't have people keep making decisions like recruiting Lynch, Young and White (the lesser of 3 evils, but an evil nonetheless) and discussing spuds like Howe without eventually Carltoning your list.

You honestly have to question the judgement of people in the football department if - and I should stress 'if' - they are even considering going after a guy with as poor a record as Howe for the amount of money he is after.

You can't have people keep making decisions like recruiting Lynch, Young and White (the lesser of 3 evils, but an evil nonetheless) and discussing spuds like Howe without eventually Carltoning your list.

Carltoning your list? I like it. I think it will catch on. :)

FuManchu metioned it on the previous page, and I also heard Brereton discussing Howe yesterday and he summed it up quite well. He was pretty brutal actually. He said that for someone who is demanding top line KPF type dollars, Howe is a forward who refuses to play in front. He's a one trick pony whose one trick is easily nullified if you take out his run at the ball. He even suggested that if he was to go to one of the top sides he would need to seriously adjust his game or he would spend time in the twos getting 'reprogrammed'. I don't always agree with Dermie but it he made sense. I'm not totally against taking him, but it would need to be on moderate coin and if Melbourne started demanding high picks or decent players, I'd be happy to just forget about it.

Doesn't mean he cant be reformed into a Gunston like play, has the same attributes in terms of height, speed, better marker & has the agility, I think what needs to improve is his mindset. Howe would be a great pick up for us at the right price!

Doesn't mean he cant be reformed into a Gunston like play, has the same attributes in terms of height, speed, better marker & has the agility, I think what needs to improve is his mindset. Howe would be a great pick up for us at the right price!

I'm not interested in a 25 year old project player. If he hasnt fixed his game or his mindset by now, its unlikely to change materially in the future.. Theres a great risk that by reprogramming him all you will end up doing is removing his flair and not improving his general game...and killing his career off. I doubt he will come cheap because he is hunting for better pay. Not worth the risk imo.

Lynch and White were brought in to replace Dawes as the second ruck replacement. Dawes has not been put on the market by Melbourne, further vindication it was the right decision to move him on. Nothing wrong with picking those guys up, Lynch was always going to be short term regardless and White is much maligned but does his job. Young was a cheapie with some footskills, didnt harm us to have him on the list but never overcame injuries for a long enough period to establish himself.

Agree on Howe though, he just doesnt win enough ball. Hes like Goldsack but not as hard at it.

Thats true. Hence the comments about re-programming his game.

Lynch and White were brought in to replace Dawes as the second ruck replacement. Dawes has not been put on the market by Melbourne, further vindication it was the right decision to move him on. Nothing wrong with picking those guys up, Lynch was always going to be short term regardless and White is much maligned but does his job. Young was a cheapie with some footskills, didnt harm us to have him on the list but never overcame injuries for a long enough period to establish himself.

Agree on Howe though, he just doesnt win enough ball. Hes like Goldsack but not as hard at it.

White can be justified but Lynch and Young were awful decisions. You don't get free shots with list management, there is always harm with recruiting multiple screw ups.

Young was always injured at Hawthorn. He wasn't a bad luck story - exactly what happened is what many of us said would happen.

Lynch was clearly finished and was a complete waste of time. These weren't poor decisions in hindsight, large segments of our supporter base could see these were bad decisions from the outset.

White is an argument for another time but in the context of interest in Howe, it suggests that our club believes that it can turn around mentally weak players. This is potentially arrogant and reckless list management. We don't need to be taking risks at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back