Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it has anything to do with the person or the area in Perth. If you're walking through the shops at 3pm on a Wednesday, no one is going to film you and maybe one or two people'll say something if they're serving you in a shop.

If you're out in the middle of the night in Northbridge, Freo doing something stupid then you'll end up with cameras on you. Especially when you're 6'5 and taller than 90% of the population.

People know what pinging looks like and people are going to take a note of any bloke who's passed out on a coach. The second you note it's a footballer, you have to expect the nature of people to come out.

I am ****ing staggered that we drafted Hogan to play midfield. It beggars belief. His heat map from Sunday shows him spending very little time at all up forward. Just dumb imo.

I am ******* staggered that we drafted Hogan to play midfield. It beggars belief. His heat map from Sunday shows him spending very little time at all up forward. Just dumb imo.

That's how I was seeing it during the match as well. Essentially we traded a great midfielder for an average midfielder. Which is complete insanity and reminded me of when CC was in charge. Trade in a great full back, plays him forward.

Hogan is going to be great but not playing in the midfield.

The Hogan move was desperation, just like when Pav used to go in there.

Yep, definitely got that impression. What I'd say is that our planning must have been poor if we didn't spend every moment since Neale was traded figuring out who would be playing in the guts with Fyfe. Obviously Blakely has been earmarked for it but let's be fair, he's spent the majority of his AFL career playing across half back so needs to transition, the Hill's are not insiders, Walters is better forward, Mundy is aged and gee he got caught out a couple of times on the weekend, and Cerra and Brayshaw are in their second year.

I'll get slated for it but the club seriously should have considered bringing in a delisted player like Goddard or Barlow just for the leadership and experience.

That's how I was seeing it during the match as well. Essentially we traded a great midfielder for an average midfielder. Which is complete insanity and reminded me of when CC was in charge. Trade in a great full back, plays him forward.

Hogan is going to be great but not playing in the midfield.

We actually traded out a midfielder, recruited a midfielder that we now play in defence, and then recruited a KF which we play in the midfield. Go figure...:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Last edited:
You can only hope it is temporary and done out of desperation because it seems to be the story of not only Ross' coaching life but our club in general and while there have been times that it has worked (Tarrant, Mundy) there seems to be plenty of times it was a disaster; Simmonds, Croad, Polak, Barlow. Don't know why we don't play to our strengths.

The Hogan move was desperation, just like when Pav used to go in there.

You are aware that Jesse actually played midfield for parts of games with Melbourne in 2018 right? This definitely isn't just a Ross thing and he's definitely capable playing as a midfielder (even if he is a better forward).

We can't play 4 key forwards 100% of the time so if you want Jesse playing purely forward you're going to have to also nominate a forward to drop out of the team.

Yep, definitely got that impression. What I'd say is that our planning must have been poor if we didn't spend every moment since Neale was traded figuring out who would be playing in the guts with Fyfe. Obviously Blakely has been earmarked for it but let's be fair, he's spent the majority of his AFL career playing across half back so needs to transition, the Hill's are not insiders, Walters is better forward, Mundy is aged and gee he got caught out a couple of times on the weekend, and Cerra and Brayshaw are in their second year.

I'll get slated for it but the club seriously should have considered bringing in a delisted player like Goddard or Barlow just for the leadership and experience.

Neale leaving left a big hole in our midfield that I am guessing we are going to try to address by throwing a lot of money at someone like Congilio or Tim Kelly. We'll have a fair bit of free salary cap when Sandi and Mundy retire.

That makes sense. Would be very happy to have Congilio here. Not so much with Kelly. If his comments last year are to be believed I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea.

Problem with this though is it leaves us in a position for another year where we're just paving over cracks with the midfield (hence I guess throwing Hogan in the middle). Hopefully someone stands up this season.

The knock on him going into the middles an interesting one. I thought we looked a lot better once he went in there (Not neccasarily for his impact in the midfield but possibly the 3 talls worked better) and it got him a bit of a run near the ball. It's not (or better not be) a permanent plan, but in that game something had to change and at least he has the versatility to be able to move around a bit. I was surprised we didn't try a Conca and Mundy switch as well or anything else but in a game of football there has to be a plan A, B, C and D, as well as the ability to adapt on the fly.

That makes sense. Would be very happy to have Congilio here. Not so much with Kelly. If his comments last year are to be believed I wouldn't be thrilled with the idea.

Problem with this though is it leaves us in a position for another year where we're just paving over cracks with the midfield (hence I guess throwing Hogan in the middle). Hopefully someone stands up this season.
This is exactly why we can afford to experiment a bit this year and the Tucker moves such a beauty. Gives our young guys a chance to really have a crack and see who fires whilst we're in the waiting for that one last piece (I think a Coniglio level player alongside natural progression and a healthier list would have us with a real good chance at taking finals deep)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are aware that Jesse actually played midfield for parts of games with Melbourne in 2018 right? This definitely isn't just a Ross thing and he's definitely capable playing as a midfielder (even if he is a better forward).

We can't play 4 key forwards 100% of the time so if you want Jesse playing purely forward you're going to have to also nominate a forward to drop out of the team.
I am aware and I think its dumb like it was with Pav.

Very minor but one thing i noticed from him Saturday night towards the end of the game when the game was basically done and the margin about 3 goals, i think it was Tabs that kicked a goal.

Jesse ran 50m at full speed to make sure he got to him, gave him a rev up and a good pat on the back.

I know its not much, but thats the sort of sign i enjoy seeing from a key forward thats struggling.

Very minor but one thing i noticed from him Saturday night towards the end of the game when the game was basically done and the margin about 3 goals, i think it was Tabs that kicked a goal.

Jesse ran 50m at full speed to make sure he got to him, gave him a rev up and a good pat on the back.

I know its not much, but thats the sort of sign i enjoy seeing from a key forward thats struggling.
Tabs and Hogan are building. They want to have that synergy going.
But feels Hogan is being horribly managed. If he has had an underdone pre season, doesn’t it make better sense to just play him from the 50, one on one. Rather we re running him to the ground playing him defensive and worried about pressure and Ross’ ‘effort’
We have an A grade forward star, and this is how we’re using him? Honestly.

But feels Hogan is being horribly managed. If he has had an underdone pre season, doesn’t it make better sense to just play him from the 50, one on one. Rather we re running him to the ground playing him defensive and worried about pressure and Ross’ ‘effort’

Honestly, did you watch him at all at Melbourne? Especially last year?

Hogan is playing the exact role he was recruited for. The same role he played at Melbourne. A role he is very good at. He is not a stay at home full forward.

He’s playing the role he has performed best in

Honestly, did you watch him at all at Melbourne? Especially last year?

Hogan is playing the exact role he was recruited for. The same role he played at Melbourne. A role he is very good at. He is not a stay at home full forward.

Not sure about that. Hes played some extremely good games as just that, and I'm sure that if we played him as that he'd be very good there too.

Just because Melb played him that way last year doesn't mean its automatically his best role. Goodwin isn't looking like a coaching guru at this stage.

So we've recruited Jesse Hogan to play as a big bodied midfielder / sometimes KPF?

His midfield skills are good, but certainly not elite.

His contract is widely reported as $2.7 million over three years.

$900k per annum would make him one of the twenty highest paid players in the league (would have been 7-16th highest paid in 2018).

Tell me we're not paying him elite player dollars to play a role which could be filled by dozens of other players, at a fraction of the cost.

Not to mention he came under a potentially serious injury cloud and significant off field issues.

So we've recruited Jesse Hogan to play as a big bodied midfielder / sometimes KPF?

His midfield skills are good, but certainly not elite.

His contract is widely reported as $2.7 million over three years.

$900k per annum would make him one of the twenty highest paid players in the league (would have been 7-16th highest paid in 2018).

Tell me we're not paying him elite player dollars to play a role which could be filled by dozens of other players, at a fraction of the cost.

Not to mention he came under a potentially serious injury cloud and significant off field issues.

His manager says he took a pay cut to come home, not a pay rise

Not sure about that. Hes played some extremely good games as just that, and I'm sure that if we played him as that he'd be very good there too.

Just because Melb played him that way last year doesn't mean its automatically his best role. Goodwin isn't looking like a coaching guru at this stage.
Hogan is an elite football talent. You could play him at full back and he would do OK. I think his best games of footy have been roaming, running hard and grinding down his opponent. I don't think stay at home forward is his best role. 2 AFL coaches agree with my thinking. That doesn't make it right, but it helps me rest on that thought.
IMO, he was never recruited for the stay at home forward (I think Lobb was though) and that romaing role is what he will play for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back