Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Well thank God for that.

I'd hate to pay Michelin Star Chef wages to a dishwasher.

How much of a discount did we get?

not sure why you care so much what he is getting paid, the kind of speculative articles people like Hackthorn right are obviously aimed at people like you who get hysterical if someone is getting paid more than about 200k (the average wage is 370k btw...)

how good was the kick to his lead - walters of Billy? Fast and flat through the traffic and hit him on the chest. More of that please and he will be kicking 5s

Didn't you get the memo? Our skills are uniformly shit because Ross won't let the boys practice them :rolleyes:.

Also I know people and they tell me stuff and Jesse is a bad persono_O and has got too much money.

not sure why you care so much what he is getting paid, the kind of speculative articles people like Hackthorn right are obviously aimed at people like you who get hysterical if someone is getting paid more than about 200k (the average wage is 370k btw...)
There is no way he is on 700k when we also have Fyfe on 800k+ and TPP is $12m. We'd be playing 20% of our cap to two players out of 40.
Perhaps if you had scrolled back to the previous page you would have seen my point was Hogan is being paid a shed load of money to play a midfield role which could have been filled by someone on significantly less money.

I would like him played as a KPF, but maybe that's just me.

BTW $800k + $700k = $1.5m.

2019 salary cap is $12 763 192, rising by 2% in 2020, 2021 and 2022 making it $13 544 400 in 2022.

$1.5m is 11.75% of 2019 salary cap.

Fyfe is on $1m+ and good luck to him. There were six players paid $1m+ in 2018, three received $1.2m+. Fyfe's contract would have been front loaded to free up cap space later. Big chance he was one of the three.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-06/six-milliondollar-men-as-player-salaries-go-up-again
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...r/news-story/1340f19b6f30485d9d3f3025463469f4

There is no way he is on 700k when we also have Fyfe on 800k+ and TPP is $12m. We'd be playing 20% of our cap to two players out of 40.
He took a pay-cut but there's no way he's on less than 700k.

It would be perfectly normal to have two players make up 12% of your cap (as per the above correction post).

If you want a real laugh, Eagles supporters are adamant they can fit Kelly (700k) and Coniglio (1m+) both in this trade season.

He took a pay-cut but there's no way he's on less than 700k.

It would be perfectly normal to have two players make up 12% of your cap (as per the above correction post).

If you want a real laugh, Eagles supporters are adamant they can fit Kelly (700k) and Coniglio (1m+) both in this trade season.
May be a good time to look at players on their list who will get squeezed out.

ew....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless I missed it I'm not sure he played there at all. But if he did, then we should dock his pay cheque.
Maybe you should ask this guy...
I know people get emotional during and immediately after a game. But to dispel some myths presented as if they were facts...
Taberner had 45% of his disposals in the defensive half (mostly on the wing).
Hogan had 34% of his disposals in the defensive half.
McCarthy had 28% of his disposals in the defensive half.

No KPFs stay within the forward 50 for the whole time during a game - you need them to provide aerial targets to move the ball down field. Teams do not play AFL football like a game of netball on a massive oval shaped court. We did not play extra defenders behind the ball today. We also did not flood the back line. And I don't think it takes too many brain cells to realise we didn't get caught out the back in the first quarter because we were playing overly defensive ;)
In fact only 4 of Hogan's 13 disposals were inside forward 50.

I know Hogan sent time up field at Melbourne but he still managed to kick 47 goals from 20 games in 2018. Can't have played too far up the ground or played there too long.

He's kicked one goal in three games for Freo. At that rate he's on track to kick 7 goals this season, if he stays healthy and plays the entire season.

So typically Freo. We spend a decade trying to lure a quality KPF and when we finally land one we ask him to play 100m from goal.

It's like being marooned on a desert island for 10 years. One day a magnificent yacht drifts into our lagoon. Our reaction? Chop it to pieces with an axe, tether the remnants together with vines and build a raft.

Its going to take time for the gel to stick. Im sure there will be bags of goals as the chemistry starts working.

100%
Unfortunately that isn't going to stop all of the w***ers in the media and on BigFooty from piling in on him at every opportunity imaginable.

100%
Unfortunately that isn't going to stop all of the w***ers in the media and on BigFooty from piling in on him at every opportunity imaginable.
I hope this isn’t directed at me, if it is then you have completely missed my point.

I love Jesse Hogan!

So happy to have him at our club.

My point is that we finally have an excellent KPF and we continually have him playing too far up the ground. Moving him away from our goals to put out a spot fire is poor / lazy coaching. Have a problem in midfield, then find another solution. Moving Hogan is what every opposition coach wants. He could have 30 possessions in midfield and they won’t mind a bit.

I’m not saying he plays solely out of the goal square, but having him as a constant forward threat will give our forward thrusts a focal point which we desperately lack.

In my opinion only of course.

Last edited:
**** that, keep him as a forward, I dont mind him half forward, offensive half of the wing but he should be only 1 or 2 kicks from goal at all times.
100%
No one has piled in on him really, just they way hes been used.

Can't believe how many people are defending this desperation of getting him touches on the ball. It's what the Dees did to Jack Watts before he was shipped off. If you want to be conspiratorial, Melbourne could've known and been keen to get rid of those guys and wanted to groom other forwards instead.

But yeah, it's insane. We still continually break down at half-forward. If Son Son or Bradley Hill aren't running onto it, we have no options. Brennan Cox is out, Lobb is rucking due to injuries, McCarthy is more of a roaming half-forward sort, Taberner will never assert himself... it is bizarre that there's a clear fix to multiple problems – Jesse Hogan is plunked as a ****ing forward.

Yeah yeah, I don't understand the modern game, we all need 18 players around the ball at all time and full forwards have to be roaming around the ****ing backline at points...

Maybe you should ask this guy...

In fact only 4 of Hogan's 13 disposals were inside forward 50.

I know Hogan sent time up field at Melbourne but he still managed to kick 47 goals from 20 games in 2018. Can't have played too far up the ground or played there too long.

He's kicked one goal in three games for Freo. At that rate he's on track to kick 7 goals this season, if he stays healthy and plays the entire season.

So typically Freo. We spend a decade trying to lure a quality KPF and when we finally land one we ask him to play 100m from goal.

It's like being marooned on a desert island for 10 years. One day a magnificent yacht drifts into our lagoon. Our reaction? Chop it to pieces with an axe, tether the remnants together with vines and build a raft.
wot? I said defensive half (not outside 50). So him not having lots of possessions inside 50 is proof he played midfield? He was roaming across half forward most of the time which is where he was also used mostly at Melbourne. As much as he scored 2+ goals each game for them, his bigger value was that he also created another 4-5 from half forward (you know that zone where interceptors have a field day against us?). Might have been just a coincidence McGovern didn't destroy us like usual and that was instead left to Hurn and Sheppard?

I posted yesterday about communication in the forward line and Hogan needing to push deeper i50 when Tabs was pushing up on the wing to help move the ball. So I do agree he needs to be used deeper i50 more often but we also need our delivery to be better (like BHill's was for his first goal) to take advantage of that. Let's be serious - you'd just be whining about us bombing it on his head if he was inside 50 the whole time. He's also had almost no pre-season and at the time of trade most were thinking he'd be a mid season debut for us at best given his navicular injury. He's building each game - I thought he took an important step on the weekend.

Not sure about that. Hes played some extremely good games as just that, and I'm sure that if we played him as that he'd be very good there too.

Just because Melb played him that way last year doesn't mean its automatically his best role. Goodwin isn't looking like a coaching guru at this stage.

By stay at home full forward you mean stand in the goal square.:rolleyes: What is a stay at home full forward ? As far as I can tell all Forwards move around the forward half. Show me one who doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back