Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL allow this sort of thing to happen. Once drafted and you have signed your first contract which I believe is for a minimum of 2 years then you should be told that the first contract cannot be broken under any circumstances.

The problem now lies that the players can do what they want and the AFL encourage them to play for who they want to play for. Yet the AFL won't allow players to play for who they want to at the start.

Vic Metro players own this thread. They sook to clubs before they even get drafted and the AFL allows it.

Bailey Smith, Hobbs, Perkins, etc.

If the shoe was on the other foot, the Vic media would be lapping it up.

Not that I disagree he lacks mental fortitude however.

The draft needs to change.

JHF never would've wanted to go to NM.

A system should be in place where a clear #1/top-5-10/whateverthef**k draftee that doesn't want to leave their home state (or whateverthef**k) doesn't have to, but the club that wants them is duly compensated with another high draft pick or whateverthef**k.

Something needs to be worked out so that there's not such complication/f**kery that has to be sorted out later on.

I'm just spitballing here...

9eb.gif

There’s absolutely no reason at all why he’d stay at North.

Port is home
Long contract / security
More money
Better team
They have a coach

Once Port showed interest it was the biggest no-brainer in the history of the sport, 100% of people would’ve done the exact same thing - and the rest are lying.
I can give you a reason, loyalty. that was easy.

JHF seems like one of the biggest flogs in the afl. After only 1 season he was acting extremely entitled and his training standards were sub-par. North did well to get rid of him now. He'll be a good player, he has elite traits but he's a strange dude that doesn't have any sense of loyalty. How hard is it to stick with a team for 2 years.

The draft needs to change.

JHF never would've wanted to go to NM.

A system should be in place where a clear #1/top-5-10/whateverthef**k draftee that doesn't want to leave their home state (or whateverthef**k) doesn't have to, but the club that wants them is duly compensated with another high draft pick or whateverthef**k.

Something needs to be worked out so that there's not such complication/f**kery that has to be sorted out later on.

I'm just spitballing here...

9eb.gif
Reckon there also has to be less stigma about being open with recruiters about their likelihood of going back home.

At least this way if a player tells a club they’re unsure if they’ll stick around they can do their due diligence.

I believe JHF wanted to be the number one pick more than he wanted to play for North and knew he would head home at some point, but misled the club and they were blindsided by him saying the ‘right’ things at the time.

It’s not like the NBA where players head off to a college team first and are used to and have accepted the notion of leaving their hometown.

The JHF story has a lot of similarities to Nathan Buckley

1) Nathan drafted to the bears but never wanted to be there
2) Nathan had the pies lined up on better dollars
3) Nathan demand the players around him at the bears to be professional and hold up high standards

4) Nathan moved on and is arguably one of the best players the AFL has seen

The question is, will JHF become a Nathan Buckley or not

3) Nathan demand the players around him at the bears to be professional and hold up high standards

Why not just skip to the end where JHF ends up a disgraced coach playing the fool on the worst tv show to ever be on air?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lose two premierships to North as they go on to 3-peat? Surely not.

Lose two premierships to North as they go on to 3-peat? Surely not.

I'd prefer the narrative where JHF wins a premiership at port adelaide, just as buckley did at port

FYI - i do see JHF a risk perhaps like wingard

Vic Metro players own this thread. They sook to clubs before they even get drafted and the AFL allows it.

Bailey Smith, Hobbs, Perkins, etc.

If the shoe was on the other foot, the Vic media would be lapping it up.

Not that I disagree he lacks mental fortitude however.
I mean I’d be asking questions of any pick 1 that does this.

The whole nature of the draft system relies on pick 1s,2s etc giving their clubs value to propel them up the ladder.

Imagine if this shit happened every year with the first pick.

Of course your first year or probably even longer will be at a mess of a club. Takes a real coward to run away after one year though.

Let’s not forget his whole song and dance about how happy he was to go to North.

The whole nature of the draft system relies on pick 1s,2s etc giving their clubs value to propel them up the ladder.

Imagine if this s**t happened every year with the first pick.

Of course your first year or probably even longer will be at a mess of a club. Takes a real coward to run away after one year though.

it kinda has been happening to the suns and giants

they've become incubator clubs

Last edited:

Imagine if this s**t happened every year with the first pick.

Let’s not forget his whole song and dance about how happy he was to go to North.
At least he gave it a shot.

North were an utter shambles this year and we still don't even know if their newly appointed coach will remain.

Vic Metro boys font even try, they just make it widely known they won't leave and don't even get done for draft tampering, because the AFL actually can't enforce it.

Looking forward to a raft of WA/SA boys in the future pulling the same card and the Vic media losing their shit over it, yet applauding the Vic Metro boys for being 'honest' as it benefits Melbourne clubs.

it kinda has been happening to the suns and giants

they've become a incubator clubs
Yeah the whole system is broken.

GWS and Gold Coast essentially becoming feeder clubs for teams, selling players for picks which will probably end up leaving 3-4 years in as well when they get sick of those clubs.

Bottom teams receiving little to no return on talent because players can dictate where they get traded to.

Cerra?

He gave multiple years to the Dockers.

JHF gave nothing a crack, carried on all season.

He gave 4 years at a club that is well run and on the up and then shipped off to mum. JHF had to endure a year at a side in utter turmoil, that was one of the worst in recent memory (I mean they finished lower than us FFS and we had the worst year in our history), and doesn't currently have a coach running the side.

You don't need to be a sook to want to get out of that situation. You do to want to leave Freo at the end of last year.

I mean there'd probably be more respect for him if he were honest and just said yeah it sucks losing by 10 goals every week so I'm out. It would still be a shit reason since he can't handle adversity, but he'd probably be honest.

But instead he used the "homesick" excuse which is obviously a lie since he didn't even consider the crows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back