Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I see it was Tippet's fault :)
It’s never the crows fault
You will learn this if you live in Adelaide for a while
Last year it was the goal umpires fault so now we have to sit through insufferably long score reviews
This year it was Houston, now they push for a send off rule
It is fun stirring the crows pot & bursting some of their delusions
But this thread is about JHF
Don’t see any north supporters on here taking pot shots anymore?
Reckon our games have had a lot of exposure in Victoria the last month & a few vics got a good taste of the hornet

No that was not the point of the post.

I’m saying we got done because we arranged a third party payment for Kurt.

I find it laughable the idea that we are the only club that has done that, and I’m incredibly suspicious that the Cats are one of those clubs.

Sure. The facts are a certain club was found to have breached the salary cap and was penalised significantly for it.

You can speculate on other clubs all you like.

How does the 29yo ANB factor into your list profile?

He must have 6 months of good footy left before he's taken out to pasture

6 months?

Would you say the same about Rioli, Wines, Allir and Byrne-Jones? Because I certainly wouldn’t.

ANB is a good player, he can play forward and also contribute in the midfield, has experienced success before and can add a bit of extra grunt for what is still a very young group. He’s also a pretty good decision maker. Provided we don’t give up too much he will be a valuable addition and should have a good 2-4 years of footy left in him, meaning that if our footy department gets its act together (unlikely), he’ll still be performing solidly around the time the likes of Curtin, Thilthorpe, Rachele, Pedlar, Soligo, Michalanney, Taylor, Worrell, Nankervis, Murray and Dowling are entering their primes.

I don’t think we have the makings of a premiership list yet, but I don’t think we’re that far off. Nailing this off season will be crucial.

I like this, Voss as a power midfielder was incredible.

I know it’s Port SANFL irrelevancy to most, but many around the club talk about the great Russell Ebert. The way he covers the ground, power to run from a contest with the ball, strength to take marks and go forward.
What would JHF need to achieve in his career to surpass Russell Ebert as the greatest Port Adelaide player of all time? Ebert won 3x SANFL flags, 4x Margarey Medals and 6x Club BnFs. Would 2x AFL flags, 1 Brownlow and 3-4 Club BnFs cut it?

You just demonstrated the issue.
You have three mids for a decade, and the team around them is aging.
In three years time when you have no Dixon, Boak, Houston, Allir, Rioli, Wines and a less capable DBJ, Fin, and Burton.
That's alot of experience and quality to lose, and no guarantees you can replace them.
Losing a player here and there each year to retirements pretty normal.

And I was of the opinion boak, Dixon and wines were no good, overrated spuds according to the greater Bigfooty community..? Or has it changed now?

What would JHF need to achieve in his career to surpass Russell Ebert as the greatest Port Adelaide player of all time? Ebert won 3x SANFL flags, 4x Margarey Medals and 6x Club BnFs. Would 2x AFL flags, 1 Brownlow and 3-4 Club BnFs cut it?
Be our Judd/Voss/Buckley/Ablett/etc

On a national stage, reckon you’ve got it about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good player. Talent never disappears.

We didn't provide him the best environment, but he should shoulder some of the blame of how things turned out with us though.
I think he admits that he didn’t handle things as best as he should have, and also acknowledges that they did give him his AFL start and he learned a lot there.

I had him as an outside Brownlow chance but given he has missed the AA team that won't happen.

I think he has had a much better year and more impactful than Butters. JHF has carried the Port team in a number of games and kept them in games they normally would of lost.

I had him as an outside Brownlow chance but given he has missed the AA team that won't happen.

I think he has had a much better year and more impactful than Butters. JHF has carried the Port team in a number of games and kept them in games they normally would have lost.
Worked his way in to the season
Missed a couple games and a couple sub 20 disposal games early that some seem to forget.
I still think butters was ports best player over the course of the whole season.
JHF sits in people’s mind because his back half of the season brilliance

I think he has had a much better year and more impactful than Butters. JHF has carried the Port team in a number of games and kept them in games they normally would of lost.

It has happened before, he’s still had a great year and given some of the generous voting he got last year I wouldn’t rule it out.

On a national stage, reckon you’ve got it about right.
Yeah, you'd have to say winning an AFL flag in 2024 is more impressive than a SANFL flag in the 70s/80s so therefore I figured 2 AFL flags would match/eclipse Ebert's 3 SANFL flags. Same goes for the Brownlow/Margarey Medal. Then again, if JHF does win multiple AFL flags, a Brownlow or two and several club BnFs then I think you'd probably need to start having a conversation about his standing in the the AFL GOAT conversation, as opposed to the greatest Port Adelaide player of all time.

In regards to both GOAT conversations, it'll probably come down to whether JHF can experience some early success with Port. Pro athletes often find themselves in a situation where they need to have already won a bit in their younger years to legitimately have a shot at GOAT status. Tom Brady is probably a great example of that where he won Super Bowls early in his career in 2001, 2003 & 2005 and that allowed him to stay in the conversation 10 years later when he started winning Super Bowls again in 2015. Now he's universally viewed as the GOAT because he won several more championships late in his career.

If JHF can snare a flag this year and maybe even a Norm, then he's on his way as someone that just turned 21 years old.

Yeah, you'd have to say winning an AFL flag in 2024 is more impressive than a SANFL flag in the 70s/80s so therefore I figured 2 AFL flags would match/eclipse Ebert's 3 SANFL flags. Same goes for the Brownlow/Margarey Medal. Then again, if JHF does win multiple AFL flags, a Brownlow or two and several club BnFs then I think you'd probably need to start having a conversation about his standing in the the AFL GOAT conversation, as opposed to the greatest Port Adelaide player of all time.

In regards to both GOAT conversations, it'll probably come down to whether JHF can experience some early success with Port. Pro athletes often find themselves in a situation where they need to have already won a bit in their younger years to legitimately have a shot at GOAT status. Tom Brady is probably a great example of that where he won Super Bowls early in his career in 2001, 2003 & 2005 and that allowed him to stay in the conversation 10 years later when he started winning Super Bowls again in 2015. Now he's universally viewed as the GOAT because he won several more championships late in his career.

If JHF can snare a flag this year and maybe even a Norm, then he's on his way as someone that just turned 21 years old.

This is who we're comparing him with. There's even some resemblance in the way they move at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch JHF - Jason Horne-Francis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back