JLT 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Mm, even when we had time and space we'd still kick to a contest, the forwards from what I saw were also responsible for failing to create space and leads.
Yeah think fatigue had a big thing to do with both of them issues. Also seemed to me as though guys were playing out of position eg sheed off the hbf. I honestly think we should play Brander round 1 to get a proper lead up ff. It’s helps provide the team with a lot better structures.

The only teams not to crack a combined score of 100 points for the JLT series was us and the Lions. JK or bust is not a sound long term strategy.
The only teams not to crack a combined score of 100 points for the JLT series was us and the Lions. JK or bust is not a sound long term strategy.
Key word here, "JLT"

Well the club can worry about that in about 10 weeks, he is the obvious player to go to the midfield and if he can’t be solid there then how on earth is he getting all Australian honours as a half back. He needs time first in the midfield. Duggan and Sheed are not the answer.
Because they're very different positions? The reason he's getting all Australian positions at half back is because he's good at it. He was un-doubtedly one of the best in his position last year. Contrary to your beliefs not just anyone can play half-back just ask Cole and Nelson.

On the plus side, my Watch AFL experience was surprisingly great. It was near HD quality for me, which was much better than I was expecting from a live stream from halfway across the world.

That commentary team though was awful, and as people have already pointed out, why was there a former Freo captain working the boundary, with no WC person there for balance?
Agree the service has gotten better every year. I recommend streaming radio commentary from the AFL website in another tab instead of putting up with Fox's unbearable menagerie.

Sheed is strong for his size but to me he still doesn't have the frame of an inside mid. I can very well be proven wrong but i just can't see his body last 22 or more games at the coal face that or he is still going to play the same role he played last few years. If thats the case, its a bit disappointing that simmo see see's him more as a rotation.
Sheeds frame is big enough.shame hes slow as treacle and a very slow desicion maker.constantly sliws the flow of play

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I might be drunk but what the hell did Ainsworth do today to warrant selection in round 1?

Pros-
Impressive over pre season games
Tough at the ball
Shows real intent
Won the respect of his teammates.

Cons-
Didn't find it much
Kicked a ball out on the full in blustery conditions (Hurn and Shueys kicking was atrocious too)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheeds frame is big enough.shame hes slow as treacle and a very slow desicion maker.constantly sliws the flow of play
Pretty much all of our players sans Jetta slow down the play. Gaff’s MO seems to be get the ball, immediately look backwards for an option, spin slowly to get onto the left, all forward momentum gone.

Hope we’re a bit more attacking come Sydney. More play through the middle. I like the suggestion of Brander Rd 1 to straighten us up, all he’d be expected to do would be to create that contest and space by leading up.

Yesterday was terrible. No linking, no one running past for a handball, skills were shocking. Structures both offenceive and defencive weren’t there at all.

We got split open on the rebound way too easy. Tackles didn’t stick. We looked like we had no energy or weren’t fit enough.

I hope it was just a JLT performance but JLT is effectively just training against opponents and if that’s what we are training we are in deep deep trouble.

Pretty much all of our players sans Jetta slow down the play. Gaff’s MO seems to be get the ball, immediately look backwards for an option, spin slowly to get onto the left, all forward momentum gone.

Hope we’re a bit more attacking come Sydney. More play through the middle. I like the suggestion of Brander Rd 1 to straighten us up, all he’d be expected to do would be to create that contest and space by leading up.
There was a piece of play yesterday in the 4th quarter i think where Hurn was on the HBF and gave it to Gaff running into the pocket onto his non preferred side back into heavy traffic across goal..

It achieved absolutely nothing. Gaff doesn't have the speed nor skill to be calling for the football and running INTO traffic on his non preferred side.

Not enough creativity in this team. McGovern can set up the play and so can Jetta. That's it. I have very little faith in Hurn nowadays.

I thought Lysett worked hard and was effective in the contests - obviously diggicult in tap work but given he hada year off it is very promising.
Venables, Waterman, Brander, Rioli, Ryan and Ainsworth haven't played a game and some had badly interrupted 2017. The are on First year preseasons as well so nut AFL fit. How could you expect much. Cole is inexperienced but worked hard.
The experienced players didn't work hard until the last 5 minutes. They will know it and it left the kids exposed without structure or leadership.
What are we suggesting play the youth? We did and have to accept it for what it is.

Pros-
Impressive over pre season games
Tough at the ball
Shows real intent
Won the respect of his teammates.

Cons-
Didn't find it much
Kicked a ball out on the full in blustery conditions (Hurn and Shueys kicking was atrocious too)
I'm impressed that you got all that from 5 touches (1 of which as you say went out on the full).

I'm going to reserve my judgement until Sydney match as barring McGov our snr players were terrible at best. How often do you see that from a team?
Pre game, I was thinking from our first two games that our pressure was really good and the young guys brought it, thought this was the new eagles and was excited.
Yesterday pressure was non existant, and fwds never got a look at it which is where most of our young guys are. Can only hope that was a blip of the radar.

Gaff aside, we have no natural accumulators in the squad.

Duggan, Redden, Jetta, Yeo and Cripps each have the aerobic capacity but are currently either lacking in positional awareness (to run into space at the right time) or defensive awareness (to not let the opposition out the back when they are trying to find offensive space) that prevents them from shifting from a 15-20 possession player into a consistent 25-30 possession player.

Why do you think the coaching panel persisted with Marsden for so long?

Unfortunately it would appear that none of the younger crop has a natural ball-magnet among them either, so this will be a problem that will seemingly only magnify in future.

Partington is an accumulator in the WAFL. Need that to happen at the top level.

Maybe Watson should get a run off a wing, he seems to have no problem finding the ball and adds pace and defensive running.

Remove this Banner Ad

JLT 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back