Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, harley also said it was just coffee.
Face value what clubs say
Saints said pick 5 wasnt going to be used on carlisle

Speaking of, they owe the swans one for that deal. Perhaps pick 6 and 9 for joey....
Yeah, but not wanting to give away trade plans mid-season is a bit different to speaking about trade plans when the season is over. Given the circumstances, I don't think Daniher would have been happy if Harley admitted we were into him back then.
Idk what the pick swaps will be, I am just guessing same as anyone else. You will gain Daniher and lose Papley. If you gave up 5+9 you could end up with Essendons 2020 1st round pick.

We will have to wait and see, I can't think of a logical trade the clubs would come up with yet.
Well, trying to force a three-way trade isn't going to help you think of possibilities. The only reason this is being suggested is because Barrett who has admitted to having no clue as to what is going on said it was happening, despite it being contradictory to everything else that has been said.

Don't see the need for Daniher when they have Blakey,McCartin,Buddy

Blakey is far too good and versatile talent to remain as a stay at home forward, he will play further up the ground/create havoc on the wing tc

And Buddy is near the end.

Sydney doesn't seem to think so. Neither do Essendon.
Besides, you should know all about cooked with O'Meara. Still cost you despite being uncontracted.

The club has already informed Joe that they'd like him to be there in 2020.
I can't see us trading him unless there is a benefit for us.
EDIT - misread tone.

Last edited:
This apparent deal just happens to be in complete contrast to everything the Swans have said right up to the top management... right.
And especially as I believe Essendon and Sydney both have known this was going down for some time. Wouldn’t surprise me if the two clubs have already worked out some kind of deal

And especially as I believe Essendon and Sydney both have known this was going down for some time. Wouldn’t surprise me if the two clubs have already worked out some kind of deal
Yeah, in my eyes, adding Carlton to the deal just needlessly complicates things and doesn't actually help anything. I think we've probably just about reached a deal with you guys, and will externally seek the best deal for Papley if we decide to let him go.

Please enlighten me.

If Sydney are offering one first rounder, why should we trade when we can get one first rounder as compensation next year?

Why would they offer 2x firsts if they can get him as a free agent next year.

Why get catty about this? Nothing I said was having a dig at Essendon
The O'Meara comparisons are funny too, because if anything it suggests 5 + 25 is extremely fair value for Daniher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Budwah is probably just about cooked. Maybe one more year I reckon.

Remember he was in the same draft as Lids, Roughy, Lewis and Griffen. They ve all retired.

Thing about Buddy though is when he is on the field he is still brilliant. He is just having more trouble getting on the field. He is not like Roughead, Lewis, Griffen or Deledio who were clearly stuffed even when they were on the field. When he is on the field Buddy is still very much Buddy.

You completely misread the post. I'm only drawing similarities between "cooked O'Meara" and "cooked Daniher". O'Meara turned alright. If you remember, everyone said he wasn't ever going to have an AFL career.
ahhh okay - I see.

I'm just looking at reasons why Essendon would want to move him on. If you look purely retrospectively he's a guy that's hardly played in the last two years and has probably cost $1.5m. It doesn't mean he's unrecoverable - but given how much risk they've already absorbed on his current contract I can understand them wanting to end it and use the salary elsewhere.

ahhh okay - I see.

I'm just looking at reasons why Essendon would want to move him on. If you look purely retrospectively he's a guy that's hardly played in the last two years and has probably cost $1.5m. It doesn't mean he's unrecoverable - but given how much risk they've already absorbed on his current contract I can understand them wanting to end it and use the salary elsewhere.
I don't think Essendon do want to move him on.

Yeah, but not wanting to give away trade plans mid-season is a bit different to speaking about trade plans when the season is over. Given the circumstances, I don't think Daniher would have been happy if Harley admitted we were into him back then.

Well, trying to force a three-way trade isn't going to help you think of possibilities. The only reason this is being suggested is because Barrett who has admitted to having no clue as to what is going on said it was happening, despite it being contradictory to everything else that has been said.
Only if you get your news from the Media, everything Carlton related is confirmed on bigfooty before the media even get a hint of what is going on.

Papley was linked to Carlton for about 7 months and for a long time now the deal has been dependent on daniher joining the swans. Players don't publicly nominate generally until a deal is pretty much worked out.

Yeah I get it - but was it just from Matthew Lloyd saying something? Or have Essendon (the club) actually indicated it would require 2 x firsts for Daniher?

No they haven’t said a thing. They’ve only released one short statement.

Essendon Football Club can confirm Joe Daniher has indicated his desire to be traded to the Sydney Swans.

General Manager of List and Recruiting Adrian Dodoro said the 25-year-old had cited a change in lifestyle and preference to live in Sydney as the motivating factor.

“The Club acknowledges the reason behind this request from Joe, however he is a contracted player to the Essendon Football Club,” Dodoro said.

"He is a very highly regarded player at our Club, and we have advised Joe that ultimately we want him playing for the Bombers in 2020.

“We will remain in contact with Joe’s management over the course of the upcoming AFL Trade Period.”

The Club will make no further comment at this time.

I guarantee that 99% - actually probably closer to 100% - of what you hear on this re Essendon will be absolute bullshit. It’s the same every trade period. Dodoro is just brilliant clickbait. The nuffies gobble it up.

Thing about Buddy though is when he is on the field he is still brilliant. He is just having more trouble getting on the field. He is not like Roughead, Lewis, Griffen or Deledio who were clearly stuffed even when they were on the field. When he is on the field Buddy is still very much Buddy.
Yeah, Bud is still great if he gets on field no doubt. But as it is he hardly trains now - whats he going to be like going forward?

Lids was extremely durable until suddenly he wasnt. The end can come at pretty short notice when they're over 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Joe Daniher 2019 [requested a trade to Sydney - didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back