Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would he want a trade? Where is this chatter coming from?

Just based on the fact that while we have now offered him a contract he is using these last two weeks to look at rival offers
So we wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just based on the fact that while we have now offered him a contract he is using these last two weeks to look at rival offers
So we wait and see.

VIC country boy originally wasn’t he? Or was he just playing up there? Seems odd other clubs without a direct link to him would be asking.

VIC country boy originally wasn’t he? Or was he just playing up there? Seems odd other clubs without a direct link to him would be asking.

He’s from Wangaratta
If clubs need a small forward no surprise they will ask no matter where they are from

Not sure he’ll be loyal based on that given there were other clubs willing to pick him up and he’d have been more likely entrenched in those clubs best 23 by now.
He was rubbish last year and been rewarded this year...however last few weeks have been head scratching..
Offer 3 years instead of 2

Hope he stays

If he leaves it will be because he doesn't believe in himself. Same with Reef.
Good riddance if so.

Fly will be in their ear telling them that he sees them as a part of our future.
I think he'll sign a 2 year contract with us then go for a retirement fund in his next contract. that's if he plays to the required level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would he want a trade? Where is this chatter coming from?

Joe Richards for Sam Darcy. Bulldogs are even willing to throw in a future 2nd to sweeten the deal.

I’d take it.

Way too late though.
His first game was against the eagles in May, after solid VFL form. Coming from being in the delist pile. Had a couple of games, injured. Back again, played ok, not outstanding. Was great in the VFL again.

I don’t see how we could have managed it much better tbh. It’s only a 12 week period where he’s shown he’s capable at the top lvl.

We already have macrae and Johnson on contracts that shouldn’t be. We needed to be sure he could play at the lvl consistently.

I do hope he stays. Footy smarts, skills and speed. He should play this week.

I hope he replaces lippa in the 23 next season. Def an upgrade on bytel on the wing

Last edited:
Way too late though.
When did we offer him a contract?

I like him, but he's still one who may go either way.

I won't be surprised if a club offers him a contract length or dollars that we're not willing to match. And if he goes for that, he goes. We can't match every offer that our players get - otherwise you end up with a salary cap disaster and/or a lot of dead wood on your list for too long.

Last edited:
When did we offer him a contract?

I like him, but he's still one who may go either way.

I won't be surprised if a club offers him a contract length or dollars that we're not willing to match. And if he goes for that, he goes. We can't match every offer that our players get - otherwise you end up with a salary cap disaster and/or a lot of dead wood on your list for too long.
Essendon fans were saying the same about D’Ambrosio this time last year. That aged well

Essendon fans were saying the same about D’Ambrosio this time last year. That aged well
Yes. Insert player X for promising player that was given a long or big contract that didn't justify it.

I rate his potential, but don't see him as one you change your payment structures significantly for. One or two years at the standard 3rd year rate... But with his age, he'd have to seriously consider a longer or better offer from elsewhere. And if he takes it - oh well.

Yes. Insert player X for promising player that was given a long or big contract that didn't justify it.

I rate his potential, but don't see him as one you change your payment structures significantly for. One or two years at the standard 3rd year rate... But with his age, he'd have to seriously consider a longer or better offer from elsewhere. And if he takes it - oh well.
Doubt he wanted much from us. Just a skerrick of interest that we valued him would have been enough
Unfortunately the Browne / Kelly / Wright / Leppitsch shemozzle off field might cost us a player here.
Cue the Benny Hill music

Doubt he wanted much from us. Just a skerrick of interest that we valued him would have been enough
Unfortunately the Browne / Kelly / Wright / Leppitsch shemozzle off field might cost us a player here.
Cue the Benny Hill music
Lots of guesses.

Rumours of interest came right away after his debut. Why would he sign straight away unless it was for a good contract. We may have actually done well by not signing him then - as he didn't hold htat early form and offers might not be quite as good as they would have needed to be at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back