Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of guesses.

Rumours of interest came right away after his debut. Why would he sign straight away unless it was for a good contract. We may have actually done well by not signing him then - as he didn't hold htat early form and offers might not be quite as good as they would have needed to be at the time.
Exactly. He's had 3 good games. None of which have come after he got injured in the Dockers match.

His last was a poor one against Hawks.

He only debuted in May, playing 8 matches.

I think being offered a contract late July/early August is more than fair enough.

I have no issue with the way we managed this. We were right to wait this long as frankly some on here would have called for him to be delisted earlier this year.

We’ve been guilty of offering contracts prematurely in the past. I like what he offers and hope he stays. But if he leaves, which would surprise me, the it is what it is

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we lost a good young player because we didn't value him enough for him to choose to stay that would be poor management as it should never have got to that stage.
We can never really know what happens behind closed doors. But, not getting games at senior level doesn;t necessarily correlate with not being valued. In fact, having to earn a game in the position you're being developed for is not only valuing the player, it's also valuing the team.
I'm sure that the culture that's been developed under Fly's stewardship includes ensuring players feel valued as well as providing them with opportunity to understand their deficiencies and where the coaches would like to see them improve to ensure they have the best chance of cracking into the side.

Managing players like Richards is always hard, came into the system late and he needs to earn cashhhhhh. St Kilda is probably offering a significantly better deal, I’d take it too. Another year or 2 like this at the pies and he’s out of the system or significantly impacting his earning potential

If we lost a good young player because we didn't value him enough for him to choose to stay that would be poor management as it should never have got to that stage.
He’s been offered a contract. Doesn’t that indicate we value him?

Doubt he wanted much from us. Just a skerrick of interest that we valued him would have been enough
Unfortunately the Browne / Kelly / Wright / Leppitsch shemozzle off field might cost us a player here.
Cue the Benny Hill music
Not sure how precious he is. Any sane player would understand you deal with the club champions first and then focus on the VFL/AFL types who are still trying to establish themselves.

F*^k me we gave him an opportunity as a 22 yr old playing country footy. Not sure there were many clubs lining up for him.

He looks like a neat player that I would like to keep at the club. However, not sure he is worth more than the average AFL salary at best.

That's a weird comparison to make.
Why? Jmac believed the fact we offered him a contract proved we valued him. It doesn't. It depends on what details the contract contained both financially and in the number of years on offer. What's weird about pointing out the fact we offered Taylor a contract and he walked? Clearly, he didn't feel valued.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Jmac believed the fact we offered him a contract proved we valued him. It doesn't. It depends on what details the contract contained both financially and in the number of years on offer. What's weird about pointing out the fact we offered Taylor a contract and he walked? Clearly, he didn't feel valued.
Adams wanted to pick & choose his position & a longer term lucrative contract. Which Sydney offered.

Have you watched him lately? I think we offered him what he was worth.

As for Richards we have no clue what the contract is sitting in front of him, so none of us can comment on whether it's worthy based on the 8 matches he's played this year, 3 of which were good.

If we didn't value him, we simply would have told him to look elsewhere.

The fact that other clubs have shown interest in him has nothing to do with how we value him. It just means they also thought those 3 games were good.

I’ve probably got this wrong but I think he has played 2 very good games and 5 very average senior games (and a sub).

He has been dropped.

I would think the club offers him an appropriate contract (2 yrs) and if he can be best 22, I’m sure his next contract will be a strong one.

I think he only leaves if he feels he has a better chance breaking into a 22 as a small forward elsewhere. I just can’t see any club offering him that much really.

I think he'll be loyal to us considering we plucked him from obscurity

He has demonstrated the ability to produce at the highest level.

Yes, he's 25 but no 17-year-old has been tested in that manner.

He could be an 100+ game player.

Keep him unless his demands are unrealistic.

PS - Once again we see posters who are not intimate with the club's player management criticising the same. If the club can be credited for plucking Richards from adversity, they can be trusted to do the right thing during his contract negotiations. This place, FMD.

It depends upon what the contract is. Adams clearly didn't think we valued him.
Honestly, as the Vice Captain of the club, Adams let himself down in my view. He was gone after the 1st final which he denies. A Melbourne poster said he had signed for the Swans at that time. I called BS, because of all players, Adams was the last I expected to go.

But the Melbourne poster was spot on.

I would think given how the club has managed older players and not forced them out, Adams may well have had the opportunity to play a few more years if he performed to expectations.

Ironically, if he stayed he would have played the position he lost to Mitchell.

If Mitchell didn’t play midfield in the GF, we probably wouldn’t be premiers.

The club got it right. It’s only about the club, not the player.

It indicates we value him to a certain amount. The question is whether he feels he is valued more eslewhere.
Absolutely. If he chooses to leave for a better contract then we can either increase our offer or let him walk.

It depends upon what the contract is. Adams clearly didn't think we valued him.
Adams left for a better deal. Would it have been sound management to offer Adams the same contract he got at Sydney?

Adams left for a better deal. Would it have been sound management to offer Adams the same contract he got at Sydney?
Nope. That's not the point. Offering a contract is not necessarily a sign that you value a player. It depends upon what is in the contract. Contracts can have all kinds of conditions attached and requirements that can make a player feel a club is not too fussed about whether he stays or goes. Perhaps that is how Adams felt and Joe might too.

Nope. That's not the point. Offering a contract is not necessarily a sign that you value a player. It depends upon what is in the contract. Contracts can have all kinds of conditions attached and requirements that can make a player feel a club is not too fussed about whether he stays or goes. Perhaps that is how Adams felt and Joe might too.

What kind of conditions are you referring to outside of those contained in the SPC?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You said that it is poor management if Richards goes to another club. Can you please tell us then what his contract offer is?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back