Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

But they’ll keep giving you a go for 4 years… re-select, try in a new position… no getting cut at years end

Clubs don’t want to admit early on that they signed a dud

Everyone here forgotten Chris Mayne already?

The players signed to longer deals get ample opportunity

Something he possibly won’t get at the pies
But I don’t understand why he wouldn’t get an opportunity at the Pies? All he has to do is justify selection. He did and got games. He was injured and returned but his form wasn’t great and eventually was dropped as other players seemed to have improved (ie Bytel).

There is no reason for the Pies not to give him every opportunity. If they offered him a 2 year, and he’s not confident of being a best 22, then sure find a longer deal. But if he backs himself, and I’m sure the club will, then he will get an extension and a lot more money than what he signs for on for 4 now.

Mayne played 21 games in Yr 2. We played him in Yr 2, 3 and 4 because he deserved it, not because he had signed a 4 year deal. He only played 3 games in his 1st year because his form didn’t warrant any more despite the fairly good contract.

Last edited:
But I don’t understand why he wouldn’t get an opportunity at the Pies? All he has to do is justify selection. He did and got games. He was injured and returned but his form wasn’t great and eventually was dropped as other players who seemed to have improved (ie Bytel).

There is no reason for the Pies not to give him every opportunity. If they offered him a 2 year, and he’s not confident of being a best 22, then sure find a longer deal. But if he backs himself, and I’m sure the club will, then he will get an extension and a lot more money than what he signs for on for 4 now.

Mayne played 21 games in Yr 2. We played him in Yr 2, 3 and 4 because he deserved it, not because he had signed a 4 year deal. He only played 3 games in his 1st year because his form didn’t warrant any more despite the fairly good contract.
This

But I don’t understand why he wouldn’t get an opportunity at the Pies? All he has to do is justify selection. He did and got games. He was injured and returned but his form wasn’t great and eventually was dropped as other players seemed to have improved (ie Bytel).

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that 4 year contract equals more opportunity and job security … than a 2 year contract

Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realise that 4 year contract equals more opportunity and job security … than a 2 year contract

Most would turn on the club if Richards were offered a 4-year contract.

We're either too generous (getting reamed to use the language used by others) or not doing enough to keep him. :)

If he goes, he goes. 4 years is a big offer to turn one's back on.

The offer from Port is 3 years .

And if and when we match that and he stays those that are praising the Club for letting him go will do a massive backflip.
Nothing can be surer.

Job security yes. More opportunity not necessarily. You still need to perform.

I just disagree that when a club signs a player for 4 years they will give them more game time even if they don’t perform just to save face.

Why? Jmac believed the fact we offered him a contract proved we valued him. It doesn't. It depends on what details the contract contained both financially and in the number of years on offer. What's weird about pointing out the fact we offered Taylor a contract and he walked? Clearly, he didn't feel valued.

We didn’t offer him a contract because he was already contracted.

does anyone see a scintilla of irony

• that we paid a 1st + 2nd rounder to bring in a small forward who was out of contract (OOC) in 12 mths time

AND 12 mths later,

• we're losing an up & coming small forward who is moving for greater opportunity and valued by another club to be offered 4 yrs but given his OOC status we will likely receive peanuts

now, if you were to do the net trade capital maths:
  • _OUT 1st + 2nd rounder / IN small forward Schultz
  • _IN likely peanuts (nothing) / OUT small forward Richards
  • Schultz also likely occupying 3-4 times the cap space that Richards will have been on as minimum chips player. Even after an upgraded offer put to him this year, Richards likely stil the cheaper option.

As Alanis Morissette once said:
"An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day"

.. lack of planning /foresight, incompetence, discontinuity in list management or perhaps a tad ironic!

Not really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way. All the best to him to consider a 4 year contract, doubt the Pies will go even close to that. If we get offered a 2nd rounder they’ll take it and run. Personally I’d rather keep him though.
They will offer the 2nd. If we play our cards right we should get a 2nd and say a future 3rd (might be a pick in the 50-60 range). It's not that big an upgrade, so your 'no way' comment is a little unjustified Imo. I'm with you on the 'personally I'd rather keep him though' comment.

No way. All the best to him to consider a 4 year contract, doubt the Pies will go even close to that. If we get offered a 2nd rounder they’ll take it and run. Personally I’d rather keep him though.

If you offer someone a 4yr deal then you consider them quite good right?

Port’s first pick is 37, I’d consider that a bit low for someone worthy of a 4yr deal.

If you offer someone a 4yr deal then you consider them quite good right?

Port’s first pick is 37, I’d consider that a bit low for someone worthy of a 4yr deal.

Port will gain draft capital if the Houston rumours are true. Houston would be pretty good for us though..

We gave Frampton a 3 year deal on apparently pretty decent money when we wanted him, he hadn't exactly shown enough to warrant it at the time.

I know most won't agree with this, but I would give Joe Richards 3 years if that's what he wants, though I think for him it would probably be better to stay with us on a 2 year deal, back himself in to get an even better contract after those 2 years are up.

I really rate him after this year's showing, I'd have him playing on the wing next year, keep Steele in the middle as a tagger/inside mid. Joe is in the age bracket we need to keep, and he's such a smart player.

The offer from Port is 3 years .

And if and when we match that and he stays those that are praising the Club for letting him go will do a massive backflip.
Nothing can be surer.
I don't think we would have an issue it he leaves for a 4 year contract. We would have an issue if we let him leave for a 4 year contract without getting fair compensation. It needs to be a minimum second round pick.

We traded a second round pick for Murray ffs just cause Swans "wanted" to keep him and offered him a contract.

They will offer the 2nd. If we play our cards right we should get a 2nd and say a future 3rd (might be a pick in the 50-60 range). It's not that big an upgrade, so your 'no way' comment is a little unjustified Imo. I'm with you on the 'personally I'd rather keep him though' comment.
Hope you’re right if he does go but I’m hoping he stays. Hopefully they can find some middle ground, pretty confident he’ll stay though.
Where does the 4 year offer talk come from though? That’s a pretty long term for an unproven player.

I've seen enough. Lock him away, leave Lipinski on the wing permanently and have Joey play the half-forward, connector role.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We have offered a contract. Its his decision to make now.
You'd suggest, if he stays, he'll be signing the contract in the next week with exit interviews next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back