Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually hold a little more confidence in him staying seeing as he didn't request a trade in his exit meeting. I really want him to stay, I think he could be the perfect Steele sidebottom-esque winger.

I actually hold a little more confidence in him staying seeing as he didn't request a trade in his exit meeting. I really want him to stay, I think he could be the perfect Steele sidebottom-esque winger.

But he hasn’t signed a contract for us either. As per his manager they will sit down in the next few days and see what he wants to do.
There has been players that don’t request a trade until closer to trade period especially if they are still deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know, but an extra year on full pay would be a big consideration for Richards.
Only if he thinks he won’t be on a list anywhere in 2028. He could always back himself in for a 3 year contract and let his performances guarantee his career goes longer than that.

Only if he thinks he won’t be on a list anywhere in 2028. He could always back himself in for a 3 year contract and let his performances guarantee his career goes longer than that.
I hope he stays but if he leaves I won’t be heartbroken.
We want guys who want to play for the Pies.

If Joe does look for opportunities in a parallel universe, there are a number of small forwards available late in the draft with real potential IMO. My three favorites in no particular order:

• Archer Day-Wicks (VC) is a 186 cm man child, lefty with x factor, marking ability and goal smarts. (My favorite)
  • Ned Bowman (SA) is a 186 cm athletic specimen, running agility, marking power and goal smarts.
  • Will Hayes (WA) is a 179 cm runner that uses the ball extremely well off either foot, fun to watch, can change the angle and find targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No inside mail but everything points to the fact he's gone.

Don't blame him by the way.
He's shown a bit but chances are it's his last contract so might as well get 3 years on reasonable coin instead of 2.

If Joe does look for opportunities in a parallel universe, there are a number of small forwards available late in the draft with real potential IMO. My three favorites in no particular order:

• Archer Day-Wicks (VC) is a 186 cm man child, lefty with x factor, marking ability and goal smarts. (My favorite)
  • Ned Bowman (SA) is a 186 cm athletic specimen, running agility, marking power and goal smarts.
  • Will Hayes (WA) is a 179 cm runner that uses the ball extremely well off either foot, fun to watch, can change the angle and find targets.

And this is why this is good business for us if we can get a good return. There are usually plenty of these types available late draft.

And if Joe gets the certainty of 3 years I don’t blame him either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And this is why this is good business for us if we can get a good return. There are usually plenty of these types available late draft.

And if Joe gets the certainty of 3 years I don’t blame him either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Times have changed. The position has been re-rated and the good small forwards are going early in the draft and are valuable.

I wonder if Joe sees this as an opportunity?
Or does he also say yeah, nah?
I wonder if a guy who has had a small taste of AFL footy at mid 20s, looks at security above premierships?

His goal is probably first to secure a long term spot on an afl list.

I always think players who don’t back their own ability at a club, generally make little impact at another club.

The Pies have shown some confidence in him with a 2 year deal and good game opportunities this season. He has a position in best 22 if he is willing to work for it.

If he moves interstate for that 1 extra year, maybe he doesn’t think he is good enough to hold down a position at Collingwood? If that’s the case, happy to let him go.

I wonder if a guy who has had a small taste of AFL footy at mid 20s, looks at security above premierships?

His goal is probably first to secure a long term spot on an afl list.

I always think players who don’t back their own ability at a club, generally make little impact at another club.

The Pies have shown some confidence in him with a 2 year deal and good game opportunities this season. He has a position in best 22 if he is willing to work for it.

If he moves interstate for that 1 extra year, maybe he doesn’t think he is good enough to hold down a position at Collingwood? If that’s the case, happy to let him go.
Whilst it's the players decision, they're going to be influenced by their agents.

In this situation, an agent would definitely be telling him that the most logical choice for his career is to go to Port - an extra year of job security, an extra year to get his game up to a level where he'll recieve the next contract, and a playing list where he is much more likely to receive opportunity.

There are obvious downsides in moving club as well. He was still living in Wang when we drafted him and it took him a year to look like he belonged and was comfortable. This could be a kid who thrives in his comfort zone and struggles to adapt to a new environment who should stay for that reason.

I hope he stays, but good luck to him either way.

But he hasn’t signed a contract for us either. As per his manager they will sit down in the next few days and see what he wants to do.
There has been players that don’t request a trade until closer to trade period especially if they are still deciding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially if the team they are considering is still playing finals.

Hopefully will get an answer next week ;)

Especially if the team they are considering is still playing finals.

Hopefully will get an answer next week ;)
Yeah, especially if port lose.

But the fact its been over 10 days post exit meetings and we are none the wiser on what he wants to do, probably doesn't bode well for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back