Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still deciding

PIE STILL TOSSING UP OPTIONS​

COLLINGWOOD and Port Adelaide are still waiting on a decision from Joe Richards as the small forward weighs up offers from both clubs.

Richards has met with the Power as he ponders a three-year deal to move to the South Australian club, while he is also considering a similar offer to remain at the Pies for 2025 and beyond.

Alongside Giants midfielder James Peatling, who is assessing significant interest from as many as six clubs, Richards is now one of the last players still to decide on their future ahead of the Trade Period starting on Monday.

The 24-year-old enjoyed a breakthrough year at Collingwood this season, playing his first nine games of senior football before a series of injuries hampered his progress in the back half of the campaign.

Port Adelaide has emerged as the main rival for his signature and could redouble its efforts to lure Richards having missed out on free agency targets Isaac Cumming and Harry Perryman to Adelaide and Collingwood respectively in recent days.
It describes our offer as "similar". I'd read that as 2 and a trigger for the third.

He's played 45 (19 this year) and quite a few more consistently better games than Richards. So not really.

Joe only really played 2-3 good games before he got injured.

Fair enough heā€™s played more games than I thought. This year he spent a lot of games as sub so thought he was on the fringes somewhat

Why Women Kill Dont Go GIF by Paramount+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the currency weā€™d get for him, Iā€™d prefer he stays. Unlikely to get a player with the pick weā€™d get. I think he can play multiple positions. Footy smarts, clean ball use.
Yep. When a player requests a trade, you lose more often than not. It's that simple and why they always try hard to convince them to stay.

Happy to trade JFN and sweetener to Suns for pick 12.
Happy to package pick 12 and Joe for Dan Houston with something back.

At the start of the year I think 90% of people would have had Richards down as a delist.

People say he is unproven which maybe fair but we also dont know what his ceiling is.

Having seen his last VFL game I'd rather he stay. Everything he did in that game was elite and he actually did a few things that reminded me of Robbie Gray particularly in one moment where he was out of position but kept his feet and knocked the ball to his advantage as well as his fast hands. At the moment he would be out of our best 23 but I think he could break into our best side and I didnt think this until I saw the last game he played.

I think his value is 25-30 and if we let him go for less he will be a bargain. Port have pick 35 that will blow out to 39. There next pick in the 50's.

I think thereā€™s more chance weā€™ll have to give extra than them giving something back in this deal.
If they value Joe Dirt enough to offer a three year deal, Iā€™d have wanted perhaps a third rounder back.
Wouldnā€™t be much though and Iā€™d do it without anything coming back to be honest.

Surely he makes his decision today?

Before the Copeland tomorrow? Otherwise itā€™s a bit awkward - does he go or not go? Like some awkward Copelands of the past, with Beams a no show the year he left us, and Lumumba turning up but making that weird ā€˜Prince of Africaā€™ speech.

Richards is causing some angst for a nine gamer.

Before the Copeland tomorrow? Otherwise itā€™s a bit awkward - does he go or not go? Like some awkward Copelands of the past, with Beams a no show the year he left us, and Lumumba turning up but making that weird ā€˜Prince of Africaā€™ speech.

Richards is causing some angst for a nine gamer.
Imagine turning your back on a three year contract to go to Port.

What a fool!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Joe Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back