Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Chicago Bulls
Hi guys,

Just wanted to find out the situation with John Anthony. As trade period looms, I'm certain a few clubs will be interested in him.

Is he contracted beyond this season? Would the club put him on the trade table?

BTW Good luck for tomorrow night :)

Cheers

I would imagine that the club considers him a required player. But with Dawes Cloke Brown and Reid all young and slotted in for long term spots in key positions, there is every reason why Anthony himself might look for better opportunities elsewhere.

So my guess is that he's not on the trade table unless he requests a trade. And he'll be worth a bit, so no tyre-kickers please, 22 year old 50 goal forwards who can also play in defence dont grow on trees.

I dont usually promote the trading of players and in Jack's case, I wouldnt do it unless he wanted an opportunity to play up forward elsewhere.

However, with the news that Hawthorn is going to be compensated with a first round draft pick for losing Campbell Brown, any club is going to have to think about asking players to go to GC.

How in the world Brown could be rated that highly is beyond me. He is 27 and probably got 2 years in him at the very most. He is not fast and, while he had a good year in 2008, he has done very little since. I'm just amazed.

If the AFL is going to be consistent, then Jack and Fraser would both be worth 1st round draft picks as compensation - and I realise that we would only get compensation for one of them.

Probably the best trade bait on our list.

He could attract a pretty good player and a reasonable draft pick.

He just doesn't seem happy to me.

Gold coast near certainty but a small chance he could stay

GC is getting everyone, starting to become frustrating. I'm sure you'd receive a first round pick for Anthony from GC, especially when Hawthorn got a first rounder for an average player in Brown.

Sydney and Collingwood always trade well together, never any problems. I'd like to think theres a chance for this to happen but GC is hard to go up against.

He's off to the Gold Coast I reckon. He's certainly fallen out of favour with the coaches, you don't just drop your leading goalkicker with no reason and try to convert him into a defender half way through the season. He obviously won't get a game ahead of Dawes, Cloke, L.Brown, N.Brown, Presti or Reid so I think he'll be moving on for more opportunity unfortunately. Pretty sad considering all the potential he showed last year, and we need players who can kick straight more than anything, but I'm sure there is a method to the madness.

If Sydney wanted to give their first rounder for him I think that would be equitable.

GC is getting everyone, starting to become frustrating. I'm sure you'd receive a first round pick for Anthony from GC, especially when Hawthorn got a first rounder for an average player in Brown.

Sydney and Collingwood always trade well together, never any problems. I'd like to think theres a chance for this to happen but GC is hard to go up against.

Well it's such an easy get out clause isn't it. All you have to do is agree to terms if you're un-contracted and you don't have to deal with all that trade shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's such an easy get out clause isn't it. All you have to do is agree to terms if you're un-contracted and you don't have to deal with all that trade shit.

Add to that the extra pay packet and it really would be an attractive option to anyone looking for a new direction in their career.

He trained with the group today, so he is still in our "finals squad", so to speak. I'd expect that we want to keep him, but all up to Jack really. Definitely couldn't blame him for heading to GC.

He trained with the group today, so he is still in our "finals squad", so to speak. I'd expect that we want to keep him, but all up to Jack really. Definitely couldn't blame him for heading to GC.

Wow, John Anthony, what a fall from grace. We are in the market for a key forward, who would you think would be a fair trade. Maybe Sam Wright, one of our many talented youngsters who are all a little bit "the same"

Should trade him for Richard Tambling. That kid would be a gun for us, imagine him and Dicky tormenting in the forward 50...

FF: Dick, Dawes, Tambling
HF: Didak, Cloke, Brown.

*makes a mess in my pants*

The main criteria for Suns compensation is the contract size and potentially how many years they could get out of him.

Campbell Brown got reportedly $450k per year for 3 years.

I'd doubt JA would get that but he has many more years then Brown.

FWIW, given our equitable trading history with the Swans, I'd be happier to trade him to them for their 1st rounder, then a possible 1st rounder from the Suns compensation if it turned out that way.

The comp pick would be about pick 30 for 2010 ND, probably similar in 2011 due to GWS, then depending on what other clubs do with their comp picks, a pick in the late teens for the 2012 ND.

I think the Swans 1st rounder is pick 21 for ND, though.

Very true, I wouldnt mind trading Jack to the Swans if he really wanted to leave because they have been about the only fair club to us in the trade period and we have been fair to them.

Haha, Tambling a gun. Heh.

Very true, I wouldnt mind trading Jack to the Swans if he really wanted to leave because they have been about the only fair club to us in the trade period and we have been fair to them.

Agree. No guarantee this will continue now Roos is gone, but they've been fair with us we should return the favour and not demand the world if they do request a trade. Never know when the next Jolly will ask to leave ;)

did well to get jolls off ya but didnt we trade rhyce shaw for a pick and got corrie? that was a utter ****

god i miss shaws run, hes carried you guys this season..
Was for an upgrade of a pick. Our third rounder got moved up to their third rounder. Obviously Sydney got a great deal there, but it's good that we got Rhyce to his desired team. I also think the fact we were pretty good to negotiate with in that deal would've made Sydney better to deal with over Jolly. If we were bastards to Sydney it mightn't have been so easy.

Corrie was a separate deal with Brisbane. They literally gave him to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

John Anthony

Remove this Banner Ad

Back