John Butcher?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he'll stay as well, but we should put a strong offer to him.

He would be stupid to sign a long term deal with Port currently IMO.

On the contrary leaving a team when it is down is usually the worst time to do so as the only way is up. I mean imagine going to Geelong now for example, you'd be setting yourself up for years of prolonged average success as they begin their slow decline. There's also no coincidence that all the teams down the bottom of the ladder in 2004-2005-2006 are the teams now up the top. Plus with the draft picks Port may just get next year (If we get priority), we may be the next club like Melb, Rich, GWS and GC that is actually where players should be wanting to go.

On the contrary leaving a team when it is down is usually the worst time to do so as the only way is up. I mean imagine going to Geelong now for example, you'd be setting yourself up for years of prolonged average success as they begin their slow decline. There's also no coincidence that all the teams down the bottom of the ladder in 2004-2005-2006 are the teams now up the top. Plus with the draft picks Port may just get next year (If we get priority), we may be the next club like Melb, Rich, GWS and GC that is actually where players should be wanting to go.

yeah but you would still have to live in Adelaide..Just sayin..

I think he'll stay as well, but we should put a strong offer to him.

He would be stupid to sign a long term deal with Port currently IMO.

Not really, Port would throw the kitchen sink at him financially and I don't think any other club could match the offer.

*Assuming Port's player payments aren't completely f***ed up.

I just mean in the current climate... if I were Butcher I wouldn't be signing any more than a two year deal.

And it isn't because of on-field issues.

I doubt there will be a priority pick system still in place by then.

Not really, Port would throw the kitchen sink at him financially and I don't think any other club could match the offer.

*Assuming Port's player payments aren't completely f***ed up.

You do understand that we have a shit load of money available in our cap... we could easily match Ports offer to him especially if scully leaves, in fact we have been struggling to pay the minimum 92.5% of the cap in the last few years

We MUST THROW EVERYTHING AT THIS KID, he is the deep marking target we need, in fact he is the missing piece of our puzzle.. and if carlton get him they will be a premiership threat next year and if not the year after

A forward line with him and Watts is the Hawthorn 07 Forward line of Franklin and Roughead...

We Train out at Casey, Just outside of gippsland and he can head down to Maffra after training, COME ON DEES.. FEVOLA CAN GO BACK TO THE BUSH IF WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT SIGNING THIS KID!!!

His management are probably posturing and using the Victorian interest in him as a bargaining chip to elevate his contract.

The kid's not going anywhere I don't think.

You do understand that we have a shit load of money available in our cap... we could easily match Ports offer to him especially if scully leaves, in fact we have been struggling to pay the minimum 92.5% of the cap in the last few years

We MUST THROW EVERYTHING AT THIS KID, he is the deep marking target we need, in fact he is the missing piece of our puzzle.. and if carlton get him they will be a premiership threat next year and if not the year after

A forward line with him and Watts is the Hawthorn 07 Forward line of Franklin and Roughead...

We Train out at Casey, Just outside of gippsland and he can head down to Maffra after training, COME ON DEES.. FEVOLA CAN GO BACK TO THE BUSH IF WE ARE SERIOUS ABOUT SIGNING THIS KID!!!

And so do Port who don't have to worry as much about re-signing other players like we do.

He'll end up staying at Port.

And so do Port who don't have to worry as much about re-signing other players like we do.

He'll end up staying at Port.

Port have way more to worry about with re signing, we only have scully sylvia and morton to deal with, and scully might already be leaving anyway

They proabably still have blokes like cornes, schulz, motlop, rodan, westhoff, cassisi, surjan, carlile, pearce etc all on pretty good money, so i dont think there offer can out do as by as much as you would think

In 95% of these cases the player stays , but **** i would love to him down at Melbourne for the next 10 years

FTR guys that comment by JB manager about "He'll go home" is reported out of context. The correct context was "He'll go home... and discuss it with his family" and that the decision will be ultimately JBs.

Also another FTR... despite media reports our club is not a "sinking ship". We're in a transition period where many wrongs in the last few years are being fixed (some of them internal and some of them due to our relationship with the SANFL). People and players within the club know this and now the secure direction forward.

Getting back to JB he is actually happy at the club, with the players and with his development. Due to his back injury, LTIL and Port's delay in debuting him, so he could strengthen his core, he was slightly disappointed in not debuting earlier (as young players are keen to get out there). However, he now realises this development/delay was the best way to go for a better AFL career.

His main (and only) reason for possibly leaving the club is the common lure of going home for faimly/friends... so any scenarios of him heading to GWS or GCS etc are unrealistic. If an offer to JB and trade to Port to return him to Victoria don't eventuate he will simply stay happily at Port.

Gun player though... been following him since his 1st SANFL Reserves game in round 18 last year. :thumbsu:

Port have way more to worry about with re signing, we only have scully sylvia and morton to deal with, and scully might already be leaving anyway

They proabably still have blokes like cornes, schulz, motlop, rodan, westhoff, cassisi, surjan, carlile, pearce etc all on pretty good money, so i dont think there offer can out do as by as much as you would think

In 95% of these cases the player stays , but **** i would love to him down at Melbourne for the next 10 years

All of those in bold are already locked away and I'm not sure on Pearce and I highly doubt any of them are on huge deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of those in bold are already locked away and I'm not sure on Pearce and I highly doubt any of them are on huge deals.
Yeah na i dont think they would be on huge deals but they would be earning enough, remembering all of those above except Schulz played in a GF in 07 so they would be getting enough, in fact i think Port still have 12-16 GF players on their list (including C.Cornes & Brogan who are both retiring)

Anyway i just dont believe Ports offer would be able to trump us by THAT much...

Cant see us getting him, honestly what have we got that we are willing to give that would satisfy Port?

His trade value over the past 3 weeks has gone through the roof. It would take some very good players and/or picks to get it done.

Think: Sylvia, Tapscott, Gysberts, Warnock and our 1st rounder. Packaging 3 of those would put us somewhere in the ball park. Every other club in Victoria would be after Butcher as well.

Id love him but i cant see it happening. Hope he stays with Port, not very often you stumble upon a KPF who makes such an impact in his first 3 games. They deserve a break after a horror year.

We have a lot of money in the cap as well. We aren't even paying out the full cap as it is but will have to this season because of the new AFL rules. With Chad and Brogan retiring, we will have even more space, even though they weren't on big contracts as it is.

We would be able to match any clubs offer financially for Butcher. The only way he will leave our club would be because he is homesick, not because of money. As like I said, we would be able to match anyone.

In saying that, I highly doubt he will leave. Would be amazed if he left after everything I've heard from the club in the last few weeks. Should sign on within the next 2 weeks

Cant see us getting him, honestly what have we got that we are willing to give that would satisfy Port?

His trade value over the past 3 weeks has gone through the roof. It would take some very good players and/or picks to get it done.

Think: Sylvia, Tapscott, Gysberts, Warnock and our 1st rounder. Packaging 3 of those would put us somewhere in the ball park. Every other club in Victoria would be after Butcher as well.

Id love him but i cant see it happening. Hope he stays with Port, not very often you stumble upon a KPF who makes such an impact in his first 3 games. They deserve a break after a horror year.

First rounder, Sylvia, Tapscott for Butcher. Hmm i think i'll take the non ******ed option. i'd be prepared to give our first and third picks, or our first and a fringe player. Butcher has looked awesome the last few weeks, which is especially hard in a poor team, but you'd want him to have done it consistently before we talk about giving up a 25 year old who will prob win our b & f, a top 20 pick from 2 years ago and another 1st round pick for

My offer would be Morton and our 1st pick. Throw in Warnock if needed to get it done.

It's hard to see us getting Butcher though. I can't remember the last big fish we landed at the trade table. Now, if Malthouse was confirmed as coach for 2012/2013 we'd look much more attractive to players.

My offer would be Morton and our 1st pick. Throw in Warnock if needed to get it done.

It's hard to see us getting Butcher though. I can't remember the last big fish we landed at the trade table. Now, if Malthouse was confirmed as coach for 2012/2013 we'd look much more attractive to players.
Our first pick will likely be pick 12 though. Morton is virtually worth nothing and the same goes for Warnock. Two negatives here don't make a positive unfortunately.

Port should demand nothing less than a top 5 pick. We don't have that and our compensation picks for Scully become active in the following year.

I'd love to get him but we won't have anything they want. Not happening guys.

Unless he wants to leave, in which case Port will have to take whatever they can get.

I'd keep Morton at any rate, I think he has to the potential to be a better player than Butcher. Not entirely sure if we need Butcher, having seen Cook play they are very similar in terms of body usage and leading for the ball. Cook is a better kick, just needs to bulk up. Which he is doing. I guarantee you that if he is given until late 2012 before he makes his debut, he'll have an equally encouraging start.

Our first pick will likely be pick 12 though. Morton is virtually worth nothing and the same goes for Warnock. Two negatives here don't make a positive unfortunately.

Port should demand nothing less than a top 5 pick. We don't have that and our compensation picks for Scully become active in the following year.

I'd love to get him but we won't have anything they want. Not happening guys.
They become active whenever the team nominates them champ

Port cant 'demand' anything if the player wants out, and if he doesnt want out, id doubt they would trade him under any circumstance

They become active whenever the team nominates them champ

Port cant 'demand' anything if the player wants out, and if he doesnt want out, id doubt they would trade him under any circumstance
And the draft this year is thin so they won't be activated.

Sure they can demand whatever they want. He wants to come back home and he has his fair share of suitors, of which GWS will not be one. Port will have plenty of options bouncing around. If he puts a number on his head in the draft Port still have the unlikely option of re-drafting him.

In any case, money talks and Port will have plenty of that in their cap.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/collingwoods-three-stars-always-seemed-a-remote-prospect/story-e6frg7mf-1226128450543

However, Butcher told Port he would like to stay and there is hope that a deal may be worked through before he leaves for a holiday at the end of next week.

"He has certainly indicated that he wants to continue his career here," football operations manager Peter Rohde said yesterday.

"Which is not to say a deal has been done. It hasn't been. But John always said he wanted to see how his football was developing before making a decision and I think in the last month we've seen exactly how he is coming along."

Remove this Banner Ad

John Butcher?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back