gostk86

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2008
following headlines
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Patriots
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-to-overhaul-nrl/story-e6frexnr-1225783525932

FORMER prime minister John Howard has been secretly approached by league officials to become the game's most powerful figure.

As part of a radical blueprint to overhaul the current structure of the game, Mr Howard has been asked to be inaugural chairman of an independent commission to run the NRL.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Mr Howard, 70, was sounded out recently by Gold Coast Titans boss Michael Searle, who is leading an NRL club committee to establish the commission with eight directors.
Mr Howard, a league supporter and St George-Illawarra fanatic, is currently in the US.
A spokesman told The Daily Telegraph last night: "Mr Howard has no comment to make other than to say that he has always been interested in rugby league and has the best interests of the game at heart."

It is understood Mr Searle is pushing for the former prime minister because he is seen as a distinguished, statesman-like figure with no ties to any faction.

He is also a figurehead many believe would be the unifying force the game needs and the man to help ward off the AFL's multi-million-dollar assault on league's heartland in Sydney's west.
It is believed the push for Mr Howard will meet with some opposition because some influential figures believe the retired PM may be too old for the role.
Mr Howard would be the only appointee to the board; the rest would be nominated and go through an election process among club and state delegates.
Mr Howard has a strong knowledge of league and is not allied with either co-owners News Ltd (publisher of The Daily Telegraph) or the Australian Rugby League, neither of which would be represented on the commission.
The commission is being mooted to resolve the game's complicated ownership issues and the fractious set-up between the NRL, the ARL, the NSWRL, the Country Rugby League and the Queensland Rugby League.
It is proposed all would merge and operate under the Howard-led independent commission, identical to the AFL's senior management structure.
Many senior figures at club level believe the game's development has been stymied by its unwieldy structure and "blazer brigade" culture created by too many controlling bodies.
Now, with the game at the crossroads ahead of crucial upcoming TV rights negotiations and ambitious expansion plans into the Central Coast and southeast Queensland, they want a commission to unify the code.
NRL chief executive David Gallop last night lent his support to approaching Mr Howard.
"I was made aware of it in some discussions I had recently," Mr Gallop said.
"I'll just say this: to have someone of his high profile and passion involved in the game would be handy.
"I get briefed from time to time on the proposals for the commission but it is something being driven by the clubs and I haven't been involved in any discussion with John Howard."
Mr Gallop would remain as the NRL chief executive and still wield the day-to-day power.

What are your thoughts?

Its big news, he ran the country for 10 years but this is a harder job ;).

This is merely my opinion but I think in order for the NRL to stiff arm the AFL, the NRL should follow the NFL (US Football League) format. I think an independent commissioner is a great idea. I think Howard may be the guy for the job. Who knows? He maybe there in the US now checking out how the NFL is being run.

The modern day format the NFL has used was implemented by Paul Tagliabue during the time he was NFL commissioner from 1989 to 2006. During his time as NFL commissioner the average cost of a franchise increased from $100M per team to $915M per team and the NFL's revenue grew from $1B to $5.7Billion per year during those 17 years.

Here is an excellent article on him:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1108538/1/index.htm

Tagliabue's achievements:
I don't know if there is a revenue sharing agreement in the NRL but it is greatly emphasized in the NFL. The top half teams contribute more funds into the pool for the benefit of the bottom half teams. This maintains a viable competitive league and parity between teams. This then lead to the NFL surpassing baseball where the Yankees dominate and the sport has become an utter bore.

In the NFL, 55% of revenue comes from TV rights distributed to 4 or 5 TV networks. There is no bargaining power when half of the NRL is owned by News Ltd. The league needs to first restructure and then break from the NRL and start renegotiating their renewed restructured product. Under Tagliabue the revenue from NFL TV contracts grew substantially each time they were negotiated.

Many promotional rights and all regular-season television rights continue to reside at the league-level, rather than at the team level. By collectively negotiating, the league is able to extract a premium from sponsors and media companies and provide revenue to smaller-market teams that they on their own could not garner.

He also launched a major effort to raise private capital for new stadiums, including offering NFL teams grants from the league office derived from assessments made against television revenue. By providing grants to teams, the league facilitated with the creation of many new stadiums. The improved atmosphere of the new stadiums led to increased attendances, especially by women and children, and the greater number and higher quality of the luxury suites in the stadiums led to substantial source of revenue growth for clubs. He basically turned the NFL into a property business.

Tagliabue's hard line against drug abuse has led to increased respect for NFL players. Protecting the NFL brand from tarnish was a key priority.
All discipline for player misconduct is at the discretion of the commissioner, who has the authority to fine and suspend players without pay for misdeeds under the league's personal conduct policy. He introduced the 3 strikes and out policy for any arrests including assaults, substance abuse or DUIs.

If Howard can do all that he's the man but who ever it is, i think will have a huge job trying to grow rugby league and compete with the AFL.

If Howard can do all that he's the man but who ever it is, i think will have a huge job trying to grow rugby league and compete with the AFL.

Rugby League has been poorly run for 14 years, every level of the game has different agenda's..this would be Howards (whoever) toughest task will be.
To stamp out the different leagues and agenda's.

The game currently is competing with the AFL and winning nsw and qld, but the growth of the game outside is a issue.

Expansion will be number 2 on the list.

It's an interesting concept, the uber-hated, ex-Liberal conservative PM heading up the working mans game :D

I actually think it's a fantastic idea. Getting a true heavy hitter with the right connections in business into a leadership role is a very good idea.

So long as he's surrounded by true RL people, with good corporate experience, but who have an eye to the future of the game.

best PM ever... best NRL commissioner ever :thumbsu:

has the political clout and ruthlessness to stamp out the divide separating the two existing branches of rugby league.

Howard's next plan is fast-tracking Simon Crean to run the AFL commission so his and the NRL's plans for a national takeover would be all but complete :D

Rugby League has been poorly run for 14 years, every level of the game has different agenda's..this would be Howards (whoever) toughest task will be.
To stamp out the different leagues and agenda's.

The game currently is competing with the AFL and winning nsw and qld, but the growth of the game outside is a issue.

Expansion will be number 2 on the list.

It's good to able to say that rugby league is winning in its own heartlands of NSW and QLD. The assault on rugby league by the AFL has carpeted any suggestion of expansion beyond what there is currently and the focus seems to be securing support in Sydney of all places.

Bid to install Howard as rugby league boss given boot

Phillip Coorey, Chief Political Correspondent | October 23, 2009

EXCLUSIVE

A PUSH to appoint John Howard to a senior position administering rugby league has been torpedoed by the federal Labor minister and South Sydney Rabbitohs diehard Anthony Albanese.

The Herald can reveal that Mr Albanese was instrumental behind the scenes in lobbying the NRL against giving the former prime minster a role on the code's new independent commission.

Mr Albanese sprang into action on October 7, after News Ltd reported that Mr Howard had been approached by league officials to become chairman of the commission.

The minister rang the NRL chief executive, David Gallop, as well as other league officials to tell them it was ''a stupid idea''. Mr Albanese also marshalled officials from the Rabbitohs, of which he was once a board member, to help kill off the idea.

''Nobody I spoke to thought it was a good idea,'' Mr Albanese said.

The intervention has ended any chance of Mr Howard chairing the commission although it may be possible for him to take one of the eight board positions.

The intervention also threatens to reopen the class stereotypes that surround rugby league.

''It's tribal,'' said a source intimate with events. ''It's league versus union, it's Labor versus Liberal.''

Mr Albanese's intervention came after the NRL, as a courtesy, notified the office of the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, that it was to approach Mr Howard.

The Herald has been told Mr Rudd was not aware of the request as it was made at a relatively junior level in his office.

Nonetheless, no objection was raised so Michael Searle, the boss of the Gold Coast Titans, approached Mr Howard.

Mr Searle was selected because he was aligned to neither News Limited nor the Australian Rugby League, the joint owners of the NRL, and the commission will be independent.

It is understood the job of chairman was not offered specifically to Mr Howard, only that he was sounded out generally.

Mr Albanese told the Herald he did not act in his capacity as a minister and the issue of funding was never raised by himself or anyone else.

In 2007, before the election, Mr Howard promised the NRL $10 million to help it build a new headquarters for the commission.

In 2008, in its first budget, the Rudd Government cancelled the funding as part of a cost-cutting exercise.

On October 3 this year, the day before the NRL grand final, Mr Albanese reconstituted the pledge, offering $10.4 million and the NSW Premier, Nathan Rees, offering another $1 million.

Four days later, the news broke about Mr Howard being approached - the first time Mr Albanese and others in the ALP became aware of the offer.

Mr Howard declined to comment other than to defend his bona fides as a league fan. He supports St George.

''I'm no Johnny-come-lately to following football,'' he said.

''I've been to a number of St George games this year.''

He missed this year's grand final because he was in Dallas but he watched the game on cable TV.

''I wish the game of rugby league well and I'll continue to follow it with sympathy,'' he said.

Sources said those now under consideration for the position of chairman included the former Qantas boss Geoff Dixon, the retail king Gerry Harvey, and the company director Gary Pemberton.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/articles/2009/10/22/1256147843369.html?autostart=1

Nice one Albanese. :rolleyes:

''Nobody I spoke to thought it was a good idea,'' Mr Albanese said.

Anyone believe that?

Has and always will be a w***er.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Development John Howard and NRL Commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Back