Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I don’t think there are fractures, I think the team is running out of belief. This needs a player led correction. The leaders in the playing group need to get the group together sans everyone else and deliver some truths, take their own accountabilities and make commitments with each other. Whilst the coaching group is not performing, the players need to lead the recovery. If the group is mature enough, they can do it. Whilst this year is looking like an inevitable end, it’s setting more groundwork for years following that needs to be addressed by setting some standards now.

This to me is an between the ears issue

Newsflah-Every playing group had players in it that others dislike. It’s never changing, regardless of what we think….they can still align to a common goal though.

We will likely never be at 13-1 with a percentage of 150% again for the foreseable future if at all.

We have blown a golden opportunity in a extremely even year unfathomable, we have not tried to address anything in 2 months to fix our starts, we have managed the squad extremely poorly.

A coach is supposed to be intune with the players how can you have a coach look completely defeated in the press conference with nothing to address other than "it doesnt happen often" really i guess John has wiped 2022 and 2023 out of his memory then.

We will likely never be at 13-1 with a percentage of 150% again for the foreseable future if at all.

We have blown a golden opportunity in a extremely even year unfathomable, we have not tried to address anything in 2 months to fix our starts, we have managed the squad extremely poorly.

A coach is supposed to be intune with the players how can you have a coach look completely defeated in the press conference with nothing to address other than "it doesnt happen often" really i guess John has wiped 2022 and 2023 out of his memory then.
It’s why this needs to be player led.

I thought after the Richmond loss last year that the leaders had their rallying moment and helped pull us out of the slump, leading to a form turnaround that saw us go 6-0 and make the eight?

And the year before when we had that shocking loss to Essendon at the MCG, our leaders rallied together and had a heart-to-heart discussion that turned our form around and saw us go 9-0 all the way to the grand final?

Wasn't this supposed to be the year we matured and moved past turning points and crisis talks?

Why are such things even necessary when we were 13-1 with a near-four game lead on the rest of the competition? How does THAT scenario lead us to a point where we need crisis talks and a leadership group-led revolution?

Horse & co have bungled this or the above wouldn't be necessary. It was not gonna be sustainable to go 9-0 on the run home, nor were we ever going to avoid at least one or two outright stinkers after being so competitive in every single game.

But this ain't just a form slump, or a managed run home. This is a team throwing their season and hard-earned opportunity at a flag away right before their eyes. Diabolical.

I thought after the Richmond loss last year that the leaders had their rallying moment and helped pull us out of the slump, leading to a form turnaround that saw us go 6-0 and make the eight?

And the year before when we had that shocking loss to Essendon at the MCG, our leaders rallied together and had a heart-to-heart discussion that turned our form around and saw us go 9-0 all the way to the grand final?

Wasn't this supposed to be the year we matured and moved past turning points and crisis talks?

Why are such things even necessary when we were 13-1 with a near-four game lead on the rest of the competition? How does THAT scenario lead us to a point where we need crisis talks and a leadership group-led revolution?

Horse & co have bungled this or the above wouldn't be necessary. It was not gonna be sustainable to go 9-0 on the run home, nor were we ever going to avoid at least one or two outright stinkers after being so competitive in every single game.

But this ain't just a form slump, or a managed run home. This is a team throwing their season and hard-earned opportunity at a flag away right before their eyes. Diabolical.
I think every season has turning points, for every club. You need the player led talks …not Crisis talks, not really, but some deeper conversations around team and individual goals and some transparent feedback from the group is always worthwhile and really should happen a few times through a season., this is necessary at 13-1 to ensure you are not getting too comfortable with yourself… you need to be on top of things regardless of positive or negative ladder positions. These things are valuable I think, they can be neglected when you are having success at your own peril, maybe as we are now seeing. Players ultimately decide what will happen, your Richmond and Essendon examples sit as a good one to support this.

I've been thinking about this more since last night, with a cooler head. It's obvious (maybe until the last few weeks) that the players love Horse, but maybe that's the issue, there's too much comraderie there, and not enough of him telling them off when they do bad. I'm not talking about sprays, but when we have close loses, talking about how good the team was, rather than looking at how to fix it. Now, I know that I'm not in the inner sanctum, so who knows how it works, but it always looks to me that there's not enough tough love.

Furthermore, since becoming coach, Horse has only missed finals twice, however, in that same time, we've won one premiership. I don't always get how people talk about making finals so much is a great thing, when in reality, we get there, and more often than not, don't do much. I don't know, am I not enjoying what we have, and not what we don't have?

I've been thinking about this more since last night, with a cooler head. It's obvious (maybe until the last few weeks) that the players love Horse, but maybe that's the issue, there's too much comraderie there, and not enough of him telling them off when they do bad. I'm not talking about sprays, but when we have close loses, talking about how good the team was, rather than looking at how to fix it. Now, I know that I'm not in the inner sanctum, so who knows how it works, but it always looks to me that there's not enough tough love.

Furthermore, since becoming coach, Horse has only missed finals twice, however, in that same time, we've won one premiership. I don't always get how people talk about making finals so much is a great thing, when in reality, we get there, and more often than not, don't do much. I don't know, am I not enjoying what we have, and not what we don't have?
Our list management has (on balance) been very good & Horse has never had to deal with a weak list.

We could still win a flag this year. But assuming we don’t, Horse’s record is starting to look a bit underwhelming.

His main flaw (in my view): blind loyalty to favourites. Sam Reid 2022 GF was the epitome, but we’ve seen it again in recent weeks with Mills.

Our list management has (on balance) been very good & Horse has never had to deal a weak list.

We could still win a flag this year. But assuming we don’t, Horse’s record is starting to look a bit underwhelming.

His main flaw (in my view): blind loyalty to favourites. Sam Reid 2022 GF was the epitome, but we’ve seen it again in recent weeks with Mills.
This is exactly my point. Coaches are there to win premierships. Aren't expected to win one every year, and I know how hard they are to win, but ultimately they are expected to get them. One premiership in 14 years doesn't look great. He may have a great win/loss record, but doesn't win the ones that actually matter.

Just drove by Tramway oval on the way to the office. Could see some red shirts milling about 100m away on the fence. Couldn’t tell if it was staff or players, but the point is - they were just standing there. Why weren’t that flagellating themselves with bamboo rods inbeteeen running 400m max effort repeats. They don’t want it.

Just drove by Tramway oval on the way to the office. Could see some red shirts milling about 100m away on the fence. Couldn’t tell if it was staff or players, but the point is - they were just standing there. Why weren’t that flagellating themselves with bamboo rods inbeteeen running 400m max effort repeats. They don’t want it.
Might be doing sacrifices praying to the gods, probably easier at this point

They may be recreating last weekend's game against Port Adelaide to figure out where the problem came. Ironically, that may be the problem.

Had a complete and utter mare this week.

Playing Ladhams in the forward line, Parker sub AGAIN 😡 if he makes him sub again this week, he has completely lost the plot.

Glad one of the journos actually asked him about it, looked like he conceded he got it wrong.

He has to stop being so bloody rigid and change things up. He is such a rigid coach it's insane.

Move some bloody magnets, we have no forward line, move Blakey up there, play Heeney permanent forward and keep Parker in the midfield all game.

MAKE SOME BLOODY MOVES FFS!!

Had a complete and utter mare this week.

Playing Ladhams in the forward line, Parker sub AGAIN 😡 if he makes him sub again this week, he has completely lost the plot.

Glad one of the journos actually asked him about it, looked like he conceded he got it wrong.

He has to stop being so bloody rigid and change things up. He is such a rigid coach it's insane.

Move some bloody magnets, we have no forward line, move Blakey up there, play Heeney permanent forward and keep Parker in the midfield all game.

MAKE SOME BLOODY MOVES FFS!!
Blakey will not play forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey will not play forward
I know he won't, but why not give it a crack? He played all his juniors as a forward, we need to move the magnets.

We have no forward line class whatsoever without Papley there. Move Campbell back, have Florent and Campbell as the half back runners.

He has to make some changes. We've been worked out massively and have no idea how to correct it.

You don't agree some changes need to be made? Why not move Heeney forward permanently now? And put Parker in the midfield?

Last edited:
I know he won't, but why not give it a crack? He played all his juniors as a forward, we need to move the magnets.

We have no forward line class whatsoever without Papley there. Move Campbell back, have Florent and Campbell as the half back runners.

He has to make some changes. We've been worked out massively and have no idea how to correct it.

You don't agree some changes need to be made? Why not move Heeney forward permanently now? And put Parker in the midfield?
Gee wizz Campbell would've made a big difference !

It's extremely frustrating that other teams are just throwing non-midfielders into their midfields for fun - Ed Richards, Hayden Young, Toby Bedford, Trent Rivers, Brent Daniels etc - and getting better returns than we are getting from the group that's been together all year and trained together all summer.

All it took was half a season and it's gone to shit in there again. Heeney looks miles off it and Warner was never near it as an inside mid.

It's extremely frustrating that other teams are just throwing non-midfielders into their midfields for fun - Ed Richards, Hayden Young, Toby Bedford, Trent Rivers, Brent Daniels etc - and getting better returns than we are getting from the group that's been together all year and trained together all summer.

All it took was half a season and it's gone to shit in there again. Heeney looks miles off it and Warner was never near it.

Totally agree, Horse has never been a good coach tactically in that way. Constantly butchers the moving of players.

Why are we not playing Parker as a permanent mid now that he's fit and healthy and moving Heeney forward?

We literally have no forward class without Papley, move the bloody magnets.

All it took was half a season and it's gone to shit in there again. Heeney looks miles off it and Warner was never near it as an inside mid.
As i posted a couple of weeks ago ROBERTS

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back