John Reid retiring at the end of 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

you're entire point is really based on the idea that board must be right, and that's not really that persuasive.

I've always like reidy, but if I asked you to list his achievements - you couldn't. which is worth remembering when you get all uppity.

And the contrary is that the board must be wrong, which is less persuasive.

There are no absolutes but I think my logic is more likely.

BTW Isn't Fantassia currently the football manager at the Doggies - we have found our replacement. :D

Yep, his seat is still warm but who will be his successor? Who are the front runners?

Would James Fantasia leave the doggies and come back to the crows.

Would Graeme Dunstan get the nod to take the step up? Nigel Smart – would he have the skills or willingness to leave his current occupation or would we head hunt from another club.

And the contrary is that the board must be wrong, which is less persuasive.

There are no absolutes but I think my logic is more likely.

well what is your logic then?

seems you don't have any more argument than the nay sayers but you feel you do.

you've fallen in behind the: "if you don't what he does, you can't criticise" lobby, but I fail to see you can have any higher level of comfort if you also do not know what he does.

do you feel the government always knows what its doing?

When a long standing servant of the club retires, to carry on like that shows a serious lack of class, and is the type of crap that gives all of us Bigfooty users a bad name in the wider public.

You clearly haven’t read the Adelaide Now comments; they make us look like a group of geniuses.

Like or dislike him, he had served out club well for the last 15 years and did play a huge part in turning the club from a basket case in 1996 to a powerhouse on and off the field. He can only play his part when it comes to winning and losing. Good luck on your future football and life plans JR.

well what is your logic then?

seems you don't have any more argument than the nay sayers but you feel you do.

you've fallen in behind the: "if you don't what he does, you can't criticise" lobby, but I fail to see you can have any higher level of comfort if you also do not know what he does.

do you feel the government always knows what its doing?

Fair point.

But lets go back to the original point hey. You think that Reid can only be defended using on the same lack of knowledge with which he is attacked which is correct.

I think basically where we differ (or your just making me your bitch for the fun of it) is that i'm giving Reid and the board the benifit of the doubt whereas the alternative is to lay the blame due to the doubt. I suppose it just speaks about how a person's mind works and how judgmental a character they are.

I always liked Reidy.

He always told it how it was, whether people liked it or not. He was old school and has provided great stability for the club. It must be nice being the coach knowing you had Reidy in your corner. IMO he had a great knowledge of the game and he always made sense to me every time he talked Aussie rules.

Well done, and thanks for being such a loyal servant to the club.

JR has been a great servant of our club, and before that a great servant of the South Adelaide Football Club. I always thought, having the operational head, the grand fromage of footy being so footy literate was a big advantage.

that said, it might have been time for a change.

Well said.

I think you are correct in saying that it may have been time for a change. I'm not basing that on a lot because I am happy with the job he has been doing, but maybe a fresh face and a different perspective is a healthy thing for a football club sometimes.

Yeah but the last 10 of those 15 years we won nothing, zilch. Not satan just an average football manager.

We saw the good and the bad. He showed alot of courage in the way he handled difficult decisions like player/coach sackings and he performed really poorly at the trade table.

Good luck to him.

BTW Isn't Fantassia currently the football manager at the Doggies - we have found our replacement. :D

so the Football Manager is responsible for Recruitment, Training and match day Coaching

why the hell do we need a coach and a recruitment manager

IMO Reidy has been unfairly blamed on matters such as lack of trading, delistings and other going on at the club, most occassions Reidy in his role has to deliver the decisions to players, however even though he has input he is not the Decision maker in many of the recruitment, delisting and match day decisions.....

lets be fair and reasonable

I always liked Reidy.

He always told it how it was, whether people liked it or not. He was old school and has provided great stability for the club. It must be nice being the coach knowing you had Reidy in your corner. IMO he had a great knowledge of the game and he always made sense to me every time he talked Aussie rules.

Totally agree. :thumbsu:

You don't last 15 years in that type of job if you're a dud.

All the best after the end of this year, Reidy.

I'd be on my way too if someone punched me in the throat for half an hour then expected me to sing a song.

Hahahahahahaha :D

I think ST and Crow-mo have said it best. We don't really know what sort of a job JR did behind the scenes, and there is no real way for us to know. That said, for him to have survived 15 years, as jo says, he must have done enough things right.

Since we don't really know for sure, all we can do is thank him for 15 years of service to the Crows and the SA football public. I'm going to miss him on the radio, out of all the Crows personalities he was probably the one I enjoyed listening to the most.

gives all of us Bigfooty users a bad name in the wider public.

And you care about that why?:cool:

I have mixed feelings about Reid. Obviously he should take some of the kudos of what occurred in 97-98, but no Premiership since then is the other side of the coin.

When Gary Ayres was sacked I thought Reid should have gone as well as he was as much to blame as Ayres in my view for any failures. I realise that this is probably a minority view.

However, our club has gone from being seing as a corporate invention to be widely respected around the league and I think Reidy can take a lot ofr the credit for that along with Trigg and Neil Craig.

So in conclusion thanks John Reid for your years of service to the Club.

I will be very interested to see what type of person we go with in his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont understand the negativity about Reidy.

People are saying that we have not won a flag since 97-98 and him as Football Operation Manager, or whatever his title is, has some blame. Well in this "decade of nothing" we have played in three Prelims and have had chances of winning all three. Not his fault as I dont think he has much influence on match day.

Fifteen years at the club with us making the finals most years two flags and five Prelims tells us he is doing a good job. He has been the one constant in that record.

Good luck in the future JR.

I always liked Reidy.

:thumbsu: Always enjoyed listening to him, he's always been straightforward and doesn't pull any punches.

A person with a functioning mind should be able to see both sides of the story.

If you read the thread you'll see I can see both sides of the story.

It's just how I apportion blame that characterises me as someone willing ot give the benifit of the doubt rather than someone with an angry mob mentality.

If you read the thread you'll see I can see both sides of the story.

It's just how I apportion blame that characterises me as someone willing ot give the benifit of the doubt rather than someone with an angry mob mentality.

So you think you are better than people who disagree with you. Tickets please.

Being critical of JR does not a person has an angry mob mentality.

Based on that reasoning on the other side of the coin, anyone who thinks JR is great is just a batty boy for Bill Sanders and his boys club.

So you think you are better than people who disagree with you. Tickets please.

Being critical of JR does not a person has an angry mob mentality.

Based on that reasoning on the other side of the coin, anyone who thinks JR is great is just a batty boy for Bill Sanders and his boys club.

And as for me, those of us who acknowledge they don't have enough information to make a rational judgment?

Would that make us well, you know, rational?

Incredible legacy of rubbish you mean.

YESSSSSSSSSSS he will be gone soon and the Crows will move forward. Now for Sanders to pi** off as well again.

That is mild to what I am shouting inside of me.

Truly terrific news.

You are a dead set w***er. Do you know anything about the club you pretend to support?

Totally agree. :thumbsu:

You don't last 15 years in that type of job if you're a dud.

All the best after the end of this year, Reidy.

Well actually you can... be a dud... and last 15 years in ANY type of job. You just have to baffle your colleagues with BS and look busy! :D

I've never been a fan of JR due to personal dealings I've had with him over the years, but I wish him well and thank him for his dedication to the Crows. Looking forward to finding out who his replacement will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

John Reid retiring at the end of 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back