Jon Anderson on 3AW

Remove this Banner Ad

PortPhillip

Debutant
Dec 1, 2005
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Jon Anderson in his sports report on 3AW mentioned this morning that Dean Laidley lost any respect he had left after the loss to Carlton at the Gold Coast. He mentioned he was very slow react when Carlton were coming back, he should have changed our game plan during this period and focused more on defence.

Its hard to argue with that, Laidley doesn't seem to react quick enough in the coaches box, he's NOT a senior coach, we need change now, or another wasted and depressing year is on our way.

More defence?

What, like our fabulous keepings off style that we played with such great effect last year?

It's rubbish football and just detracts from the players' confidence.

Carlton slaughtered us in the middle. Fingers need pulling out. End of story.

Its hard to argue with that, Laidley doesn't seem to react quick enough in the coaches box, he's NOT a senior coach, we need change now, or another wasted and depressing year is on our way.

Isn't Jon Anderson the gossip columnist? They let him critique coaches now?

Laidley wasn't slow to react. He simply didn't react at all. He chose to keep the team working on the intended game plan rather than flood just to save a practice game.

Why's the AFL football operations manager making comments about our coach?

Jon Anderson in his sports report on 3AW mentioned this morning that Dean Laidley lost any respect he had left after the loss to Carlton at the Gold Coast. He mentioned he was very slow react when Carlton were coming back, he should have changed our game plan during this period and focused more on defence.

Port Phillip lost any respect he had after he used Jon Anderson's sports report on 3AW to support his thought that we are headed for a wasted and depressing year.

Isn't Jon Anderson the gossip columnist? They let him critique coaches now?

Laidley wasn't slow to react. He simply didn't react at all. He chose to keep the team working on the intended game plan rather than flood just to save a practice game.

I agree.

Jon Anderson's girly team didn't do much better either...why isn't he on Thompson's back?? JA losing the plot real fast. Give it way gramps.

No that's Adrian Anderson. I think Jon is his brother.

Brother? I thought Ando was the son, JA is a grandpa to lil' Chuckie.

Damned if you do...

We have a style of play that lands us 37 points up, you continue with it.

When does Anderson suggest we go defensive? After 2 goals up? 4?6?

Bird brain.

Disagree with that.
Not saying I support sacking Laidley on one Nab cup match alone, but it is common sense to stem the tide and put couple more blokes into the defence when the opposition is coming back.

We were 37 points up. Laidley took his best midfielders off. They started coming back and one could sense that we were in trouble. If we could have preserved a 4 goal lead at three quarter time it would have made the world of difference.

In saying that, we were still 13 points up at the last change so the way he was outcoached in the last wasn't good either.

I would have thought that fact is hard to argue with...

Anderson, Carey, Walls ,Wilson.
The common denominator is ????????????
Holy Toledo Batman its, its, 3AW

ps: am I the only one to see this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d prefer us to play an attacking brand of football whether we are up 37 points or down 37 points, rather than endure last year’s useless defensive crap.

mate, nobody is saying you go defensive after you're 30 points up, 50 points up or 70 points up.

All I am saying is when the momentum swings against you and you have 3 quarter time not far away, it makes sense to slow the game down to stop Carlton's run on.

Anderson, Carey, Walls ,Wilson.
The common denominator is ????????????
Holy Toledo Batman its, its, 3AW

ps: am I the only one to see this?

The best one out of them is Carey. The rest are useless pigs.

.....but it is common sense to stem the tide and put couple more blokes into the defence when the opposition is coming back.

We were 37 points up. Laidley took his best midfielders off. They started coming back and one could sense that we were in trouble. If we could have preserved a 4 goal lead at three quarter time it would have made the world of difference.

In saying that, we were still 13 points up at the last change so the way he was outcoached in the last wasn't good either.

I would have thought that fact is hard to argue with...

Spot on Vlad.

One ROADBLOCK ahead of Fev ...heck, hello Browny!!! hello, wake up JYD... :rolleyes:

One more year folks. :p

See, I'm not convinced it does make sense.

Obviously by putting men back you create an advantage when the ball comes in. But you are effectively increasing the odds that the ball will spend more time in your defensive half - you have less people to kick it to in your own half, so you are under more pressure to run it out. You can't just kick it to a contest in the forward half, because your men there are outnumbered. Now to me, that means you are putting more pressure on your players because you have to be more precise with your handball and kicking, and mistakes are more costly (because they happen closer to your opponent's goals). Good sides - Sydney and West Coast spring to mind - are happy to do this because they the running, skillful players that play this style well. Do we?

Evidence last year points to the contrary.

Some people on here need a dose of reality - its the NAB cup and the focus should be on Rd 1 which from what I have seen and heard appears to be the case.

Why give away your whole game plan to save a NAB cup game. I'm sure that the coaching staff could see what was happening but perhaps rather than put the shutters up they would test out certain players in certain situations to see how they might go when the real stuff starts. Okay it didn't work but at least we didn't give up 4 points and it appears that all the talk from the coaches and players was that they knew where they failed and would now work on those issues before Rd 1.

I would rather lose the way we did and learn something about the team than revert to playing rubbish to save the game. A loss last week would be far preferable to losing in the first few rounds of the real stuff - you would take a loss last week if you could go 2 or 3 wins first up.

Look at Carlton in 2005 as the example !!!!

Yes, and Roos, Worsfold, Connolly are in trouble this year too. They just let things go, missed the opportunity to win the NAB cup, and showed why they deserve no respect as coaches.

This is the same Dean Laidley who beat a fired-up Freo the week before? "Lost all respect" in one half of football?

Yes, and Roos, Worsfold, Connolly are in trouble this year too. They just let things go, missed the opportunity to win the NAB cup, and showed why they deserve no respect as coaches.

This is the same Dean Laidley who beat a fired-up Freo the week before? "Lost all respect" in one half of football?

He lost my respect a long time ago, and I'm sure many others too.

Re: North were Lazy vs Carlton

See, I'm not convinced it does make sense.

Obviously by putting men back you create an advantage when the ball comes in. But you are effectively increasing the odds that the ball will spend more time in your defensive half - you have less people to kick it to in your own half, so you are under more pressure to run it out.

Don't buy this idea because you are aware that the running-on at all costs new style we've played has drawn PRAISE. When you have running/moving players, it's game on..the pressure to move and play as opposed to staying flat-footed and not playing on after a mark.

You can't just kick it to a contest in the forward half, because your men there are outnumbered. Now to me, that means you are putting more pressure on your players because you have to be more precise with your handball and kicking, and mistakes are more costly (because they happen closer to your opponent's goals).

Great observation TMT. Moving it direct and fast by either foot (running) or
passing to an open lead is the key. That's why we jumped away from Freo. Kicking to a 3 to 1 contest is poor percentage footy.

Good sides - Sydney and West Coast spring to mind - are happy to do this because they the running, skillful players that play this style well. Do we?

Evidence last year points to the contrary.

That's the way smart teams as you mention operate. PLAY to thier strengths and give thier teammates every advantage without much hesitation. Can't help when players are half asleep or waiting for the opposition to make a mistake without putting much pressure coz they finished last. That's lazy. Lazy footy teams lose more often than not.

Some people on here need a dose of reality - its the NAB cup and the focus should be on Rd 1 which from what I have seen and heard appears to be the case.

Why give away your whole game plan to save a NAB cup game. I'm sure that the coaching staff could see what was happening but perhaps rather than put the shutters up they would test out certain players in certain situations to see how they might go when the real stuff starts. Okay it didn't work but at least we didn't give up 4 points and it appears that all the talk from the coaches and players was that they knew where they failed and would now work on those issues before Rd 1.

I would rather lose the way we did and learn something about the team than revert to playing rubbish to save the game. A loss last week would be far preferable to losing in the first few rounds of the real stuff - you would take a loss last week if you could go 2 or 3 wins first up.

Look at Carlton in 2005 as the example !!!!

I guess we'll see after Round 3, I just hope we are not 0 - 3. I would've thought winning the NAB Cup was a priority, we do need exposure and members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Anderson on 3AW

Remove this Banner Ad

Back