Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

No. I am not "upset"... Why would I be "upset" about St Kilda receiving pick 5? That doesn't effect Hawthorn. The Saints clearly need to get some talent on their list, so half their luck if they can finagle their way to an extra top 5 pick. Charity cases like North Melbourne and Gold Coast have been sticking their hand out for years and receiving top 5 draft picks. So why shouldn't other clubs get their lick of the ice cream?

The point of my post was quite clear... I reckon anyone with an IQ above 90 could understand where I'm coming from.

The AFL's FA compo rules seem to be predicated on the idea that the money offered to a free agent is a fair representation of his value when clearly it isn't. The market value can be inflated. Just because a club (or clubs) offer someone a multi-million dollar contract, it doesn't mean they are actually worth that. It could be that there's a bidding war between 2 clubs on a serviceable ruckman or key defender (e.g. McKay) ... Or it could be that a club with tons of salary cap space (e.g. Hawthorn) is prepared to pay massive overs in the short term to marginally improve their list.

Either way... the AFL have created a system where the "reward" for a club losing their free agent is too great. Lowly clubs weaken their list by letting go of the few decent players they have and replacing them with top-end Under 18's.

Is that the desired outcome of free agency and free agency compensation? I would think not.

Apologies in advance that you were triggered and upset by my posting on this subject. I was just hoping for some discussion. I am not operating under the delusion (shared by many on this forum) that anything people post here is going to have any effect.
I understood you point and thought it to be abit rich that another club who time and time again benefits from lower clubs letting good players go in an effort to rejuvenate whinges about the system.

The fact is that the players want greater movement. But clubs are not allowed to move a player on without their consent in return.

So, for Hawthorn - the value in Battle is that he is a free agent. He has no asset cost aside from your own cap space. There has to be an incentive for clubs like mine in this instance to allow its facilitation. Otherwise your club never gets better talent to continue pushing up the ladder and mine may never get enough talent to turn it all around whilst the northern clubs keep on having massive wins from their academies.

I understood you point and thought it to be abit rich that another club who time and time again benefits from lower clubs letting good players go in an effort to rejuvenate whinges about the system.

The fact is that the players want greater movement. But clubs are not allowed to move a player on without their consent in return.

So, for Hawthorn - the value in Battle is that he is a free agent. He has no asset cost aside from your own cap space. There has to be an incentive for clubs like mine in this instance to allow its facilitation. Otherwise your club never gets better talent to continue pushing up the ladder and mine may never get enough talent to turn it all around whilst the northern clubs keep on having massive wins from their academies.
Agree somewhat with your most of your sentiments... apart from the bit where you claimed Hawthorn "time and time again benefits from lower clubs letting good players go in an effort to rejuvenate..."

Who the hell are you talking about? Which players would they be?

In case you hadn't noticed, all the free agents and good players coming out of contract end up at Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Geelong, Brisbane or Sydney

I'd argue the Saints have been more active than the Hawks in signing out-of-contract players from rival clubs: Jack Steele (c), Brad Hill, Dan Hannebery, Zak Jones, Dan Butler, Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, Brad Crouch, Jack Higgins, Liam Henry, Paddy Dow

Apart from Karl Amon, most of the guys Hawthorn have signed were rejects who have come good: Scrimshaw, Frost, Meek, Chol, Ginnivan, d'Ambrosio. Literally none of these guys were wanted by their former clubs.

Agree somewhat with your most of your sentiments... apart from the bit where you claimed Hawthorn "time and time again benefits from lower clubs letting good players go in an effort to rejuvenate..."

Who the hell are you talking about? Which players would they be?

In case you hadn't noticed, all the free agents and good players coming out of contract end up at Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton, Geelong, Brisbane or Sydney

I'd argue the Saints have been more active than the Hawks in signing out-of-contract players from rival clubs: Jack Steele (c), Brad Hill, Dan Hannebery, Zak Jones, Dan Butler, Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, Brad Crouch, Jack Higgins, Liam Henry, Paddy Dow

Apart from Karl Amon, most of the guys Hawthorn have signed were rejects who have come good: Scrimshaw, Frost, Meek, Chol, Ginnivan, d'Ambrosio. Literally none of these guys were wanted by their former clubs.
Talking about rejects and quoting Dan hanneberry, Zak jones and paddy dow

Hilarious

Looks like this is the player that moves as a free agent this year

What $$$$ would be his value

St Kilda would need band 1 compo so likely a 900k+ p/a deal.

St Kilda would need band 1 compo so likely a 900k+ p/a deal.

Depends if the rules are adjusted for tenure, which is a possibility.

May only need to be $800-$850k in that case.

Looks like Band 1 coming for the Saints, they should be pulling the contract offer tomorrow in all honesty for a guy that's pretty much a poor mans Stephen May.

They can rebuild their midfield with Pick 4 & 5.

If St.kilda get band 1 it will end up pushing both of their picks back, because Zurhaar will also get Band 1 for North.

Their stats are literally the same, and the contracts being offered will be very similar too.

North every chance to end up with Picks 1 and 2 if Battle lands St.Kilda Band 1 compo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If St.kilda get band 1 it will end up pushing both of their picks back, because Zurhaar will also get Band 1 for North.

Their stats are literally the same, and the contracts being offered will be very similar too.

North every chance to end up with Picks 1 and 2 if Battle lands St.Kilda Band 1 compo.

two differnt players playing differnt postions going to two differnt clubs with diffrernt needs and having different salary cap in terms of committed payments.

Similar money? Mckay is the highest paid player in the comp this year.

His money averages out over 900k.

Battle is a 600k a year player.
A $600k player in 2022 is an $850k player in 2025.
The TPP has exploded and there aren't many KPDs floating around.

Battle will be very well paid next year wherever he ends up.

Zurhaar isn't getting 800k plus.
Think the issue is simply really.

North trade Pick 21 + future 2nd to Essendon for Dylan Shiel and Nick Bryan. Essendon then pick up Cam Zurhaar on 6 year 6 mill deal which they can slightly frontload on the back of losing Shiel and Nick Bryans contract

This can push Zurhaars contract down to more or less a 6/4.8 mill deal

North then get pick 2 as compensation meaning the deal is

Pick 2 out of thin air + Shiel + Bryan for Pick 21, Future 2nd + Zurhaar

Think the issue is simply really.

North trade Pick 21 + future 2nd to Essendon for Dylan Shiel and Nick Bryan. Essendon then pick up Cam Zurhaar on 6 year 6 mill deal which they can slightly frontload on the back of losing Shiel and Nick Bryans contract

This can push Zurhaars contract down to more or less a 6/4.8 mill deal

North then get pick 2 as compensation meaning the deal is

Pick 2 out of thin air + Shiel + Bryan for Pick 21, Future 2nd + Zurhaar
didnt they try similar stunt with to stkilda last year but that got rejected? word around here anyway.

Similar money? Mckay is the highest paid player in the comp this year.

His money averages out over 900k.

Battle is a 600k a year player.
It makes no difference it goes buy what his paid over the term of his contract , Essendon just heavily front loaded McKays contract in his last couple years he isn’t getting paid much at all it averaged out to 850-875 a season which are the amounts that are getting mentioned for battle , he currently has a offer of 650 a season at stkilda players generally don’t leave there current clubs for similar money

Remove this Banner Ad

Back