Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

No chance he doesn’t move. Battle will get 1 mill a year elsewhere on a hugely front loaded deal, Saints get pick 5 for him and then basically already have his replacement in hand with Schoenmakers to boot.

Everyone wins.
Agree with this, Schoenmaker should get a run of games now and if he shows the promise he displayed on debut, then chips in on Schoenmaker and Battle can be moved on.

Battle is a gun but surplus to needs in a young team lacking midfield talent. An additional Top 10 Pick goes a long way to speeding up the midfield rebuild provided St Kilda nail the pick.

So Josh Battle $1,000,000 Wow
Oh 100%. Free agency class is absolutely nothing this year. Both Hawks/North will be all over this for that reason with insane money

Both Hawks/North will know they need to beat Saints offer to make it worth his while. Saints probably offering 800k themselves so yeah will get to that 1 mill. A club like Hawks can probably frontload that big time like Essendon did with McKay

am i missing something why are the hawks throwing big coin at battle? josh weddle while raw has the talent to do that 3rd tall role. throw in serong, blanck (frost replacement) phillips? DGB ? maybe they see him more as a HF ?

am i missing something why are the hawks throwing big coin at battle? josh weddle while raw has the talent to do that 3rd tall role. throw in serong, blanck (frost replacement) phillips? DGB ? maybe they see him more as a HF ?
Said a ton of crap names in that list is why. Battle is 10x beter then everyone named. Weddle can play multiple roles as can Battle anyway.

Overall I think Battle frees up Sicily to be more of a creator of HB as opposed to a intercepter/stopper which he sometimes has to do. Hawks have fired a ton of shots and missed on targets so they probably feel a bit more obliged to chase a lower end player then a JUH, Ben King and the like. They have a assload of cash that they need to spend in the next 24 months and if JUH/King aint coming, its gotta go somewhere. Battle probably the best place really thanks to the poor free agency class

Hawks have cash to spend and he's the best free agent available. Weddle and Sicily don't necessarily need to play half back.

Weddle in the midfield for the next decade I think I just got a little bit of movement.
If Day + Newcombe + Weddle doesn't get you moving, you should probably make a doctor appointment.

Battle is exactly what the Hawks need - a solid defender with good disposal who can swing forward if required.

The club will make a fair, front-loaded offer. He is also a childhood supporter of the hawks. Can't see him going anywhere else. It will either be Hawks, or stay a Saint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won’t offer stupid money the appeal is the upwards trajectory. We could offer the same money as Saints and he leaves for success. Saints thinking they get a single digit pick are very optimistic but understandably so.
Not sure any player at Battles age has left as an unrestricted free agent - for the same or lesser money.

The appeal is that he is a good not great player, but will make your side better directly and indirectly via his inclusion and you can get him for free.

Every club overpays to bring in free agents.

Even last year, we had an offer in the vicinity of 600-650 for Gresham. He went for a reported 700.

The reported stkilda deal for Battle at round 2 is 800/6. At the time it was reported as a formality.

The reported band 1 trigger sits at 850-900.

It isn’t a stretch and it won’t be unlikely.

He isn’t worth a top 10 pick on the market. But you’re not trading so it doesn’t matter and it shouldn’t skew your view here.

Not sure any player at Battles age has left as an unrestricted free agent - for the same or lesser money.

The appeal is that he is a good not great player, but will make your side better directly and indirectly via his inclusion and you can get him for free.

Every club overpays to bring in free agents.

Even last year, we had an offer in the vicinity of 600-650 for Gresham. He went for a reported 700.

The reported stkilda deal for Battle at round 2 is 800/6. At the time it was reported as a formality.

The reported band 1 trigger sits at 850-900.

It isn’t a stretch and it won’t be unlikely.

He isn’t worth a top 10 pick on the market. But you’re not trading so it doesn’t matter and it shouldn’t skew your view here.
We may overpay but it’s minor like 50k as you say as the premium not to trade. The band 1 trigger had to shift upwards given the increase and known future cba increases so those numbers are low it will be closer to 1m now to trigger band 1. I suspect he comes to us at 850 and that will get you end of first round so pick 21 given the shinbeggars extra picks last year that they traded.

We may overpay but it’s minor like 50k as you say as the premium not to trade. The band 1 trigger had to shift upwards given the increase and known future cba increases so those numbers are low it will be closer to 1m now to trigger band 1. I suspect he comes to us at 850 and that will get you end of first round so pick 21 given the shinbeggars extra picks last year that they traded.
No, the 850k-900 figures are this years reported triggers. There was only a small increase in cap this season. The seismic shifts occur from next season.

And again, I can’t see battle leaving for 50k extra a year 🙄

It’s a weird thing for any supporter to make out like a nominal amount is going to get a bloke to move. We aren’t hard up on cap space either here. So what benefit would it have for us to hardline stance our salary offer if it was going to have us is a band 2 area

No, the 850k-900 figures are this years reported triggers. There was only a small increase in cap this season. The seismic shifts occur from next season.

It’s a weird thing for any supporter to make out like a nominal amount is going to get a bloke to move. We aren’t hard up on cap space either here. So what benefit would it have for us to hardline stance our salary offer if it was going to have us is a band 2 area
Not commenting on your offer I don’t have enough info and my argument really wasn’t financial. I defer to your view I’m no expert re the banding I assumed it needed to raise now. I’m fine if you get an early pick you really need 2 good young players despite my view that your drafting of late will look pretty good in a few years.
He will leave for a better chance of success IMO, not just because of our trajectory but also his strengths suiting Mitchell’s game plan better than Ross’s.

He will leave for a better chance of success IMO, not just because of our trajectory but also his strengths suiting Mitchell’s game plan better than Ross’s.

Saints played finals last year and in 5 games this year we were only 1 or 2 kicks from winning. Had we gotten over the line in those minor margins we’d be currently 3rd. I think you’re overplaying where Hawthorn are at and the draw they have as a club.

Hawthorn will have to pay overs to leverage him out and also beat other clubs looking to bolster the list without shedding trade capital.

This is Battle’s prime opportunity to set himself up for life.

It will basically be a mutual decision when it occurs. St Kilda will simply match any offer he gets and he would stay. Its only when a offer hits that would trigger Band 1 compo where St Kilda may say "We think its best for both sides if you take that offer", which he will and then off he goes with St Kilda getting pick 5 or 6 in return

Saints played finals last year and in 5 games this year we were only 1 or 2 kicks from winning. Had we gotten over the line in those minor margins we’d be currently 3rd. I think you’re overplaying where Hawthorn are at and the draw they have as a club.

Hawthorn will have to pay overs to leverage him out and also beat other clubs looking to bolster the list without shedding trade capital.

This is Battle’s prime opportunity to set himself up for life.
I think you’re underestimating where the hawks are at. We lost 2 games by under a goal Collingwood and Port both games we should have won, if we win those 2 we’re 4th on the ladder.

It will basically be a mutual decision when it occurs. St Kilda will simply match any offer he gets and he would stay. Its only when a offer hits that would trigger Band 1 compo where St Kilda may say "We think its best for both sides if you take that offer", which he will and then off he goes with St Kilda getting pick 5 or 6 in return
Yeah I agree somewhat that it will play like this.

I would honestly be shocked to see him leave for a band 2 amount considering our offer is effectively on the cusp of band 1 (3 months ago)

I think you’re underestimating where the hawks are at. We lost 2 games by under a goal Collingwood and Port both games we should have won, if we win those 2 we’re 4th on the ladder.
Or you are over estimating how good you are.

You didn’t win those games and you are 13th.

Thats like any stkilda supporter saying, we had 6 losses of our 9 below 3 goals.

If we won those games - we would be second. If we had won 4 of those games … we would be fourth.

We didn’t win and in the eyes of many are where we belong.

Or you are over estimating how good you are.

You didn’t win those games and you are 13th.

Thats like any stkilda supporter saying, we had 6 losses of our 9 below 3 goals.

If we won those games - we would be second. If we had won 4 of those games … we would be fourth.

We didn’t win and in the eyes of many are where we belong.
History and our trophy cabinet shows we’re in the business of winning premierships and we know what it takes to be successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back