Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s based off the salary cap and there was only a small increase for the 2024 season.

Big jumps every year beginning next season until 2027
It should take those years into account as well given the percentage of increase is known so clubs are taking into account them when offering contract otherwise it only benefit clubs with FA players this year. Players like Battle and Zurhaar being in the discussion of band 1 compensation wouldn't happen other years. They aren't May, Lynch or Daniher players.

It should take those years into account as well given the percentage of increase is known so clubs are taking into account them when offering contract otherwise it only benefit clubs with FA players this year. Players like Battle and Zurhaar being in the discussion of band 1 compensation wouldn't happen other years. They aren't May, Lynch or Daniher players.
It’s based on the salary % on the year the contract is given. No club has to offer these players more then they think they are worth and it would have applied to last seasons crop aswell.

This is turning into the Brad Crouch thread from a couple of years ago.

You haven't factored in frontloading.

McKay is one of those, hes close to the highest paid player in the comp in 2024, one you are claiming isn't earning near that amount.
I just gave you the stats, I don't need to factor in anything.

There is zero chance that Battle and Zurhaar will be in the top 44 contracts in the AFL.

Just be happy that you got a ridiculous charity pick with McKay. You don't have to get it every year.

He contract was front loaded.

So I wouldn’t be coming in all high and mighty saying he definitively won’t.

Clearly it’s close. That’s why the likes of Twomey are now discussing this.
They're discussing it because they have thousands of hours of content to fill.

Zurhaar and Battle aren't million dollar players.

It’s based on the salary % on the year the contract is given. No club has to offer these players more then they think they are worth and it would have applied to last seasons crop aswell.
It is based against all existing signed contracts - which wont mean past contracts (i.e. what they were paid for 2024). It compares the deal signed for 2025 onwards with all contracts for 2025 on.

The melts from people in here.

The system is functioning exactly as it should.

Don’t ****ing poach bottom 4 sides best talent and top 3-4 picks won’t be awarded.

It’s there to prevent teams from being picked off continually and staying bottom 4 forever.

So for St Kilda to get overs is exactly as it should function.

In fact, I’d like to see a +20% loading on the compensation results for bottom 4 clubs losing any player to FA.

The servers might explode when people realize that Zurhaar is every chance to trigger Band 1 also.

He’s had a 5 x $750k deal from North on the table for 4 months and hasn’t signed it.

Collingwood will be offering more than that. And there’s every chance the AFL will be amending the formula to allow for tenure this period according to Twomey.

Your McKay was not "best talent" nor is Battle St Kilda's. Zurhaar too, is not "best talent".

Imagine if Battle played for Western Bulldogs or Essendon and this conversation is happening. The amount of disgusted for the Saint potentially getting a band 1 for Battle is crazy. So many salty fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no issues with the Saints getting band 1 after the Roos got band 1 for McKay & Frawley got for the Dees.

We have a similar offer on the table for Perryman who may also get band 1 compensation, imagine the salty comments after that...

The only logical way to fix this is the compensation needs to change so that band 1 is not in the first round but end of first.

If players like McKay, Battle etc were given pick 19 as compo noone would care.

I have no issues with the Saints getting band 1 after the Roos got band 1 for McKay & Frawley got for the Dees.

We have a similar offer on the table for Perryman who may also get band 1 compensation, imagine the salty comments after that...

The only logical way to fix this is the compensation needs to change so that band 1 is not in the first round but end of first.

And will only prolongate teams at the bottom even longer.

There needs to be equalization for bottom 4 having their best players poached

McKay led the league in intercept marks and contested marks for key defenders 12 months before he left, what exactly would you call that?
A lot of people in this thread are confusing "best talent in the league" with "best talent available".

Ridiculous. Imagine if a Lynch situation happens again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Josh Battle [to Hawthorn as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back