Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s ones of the stupidest things I’ve heard in a while
?

If Battle was in the top 25% of earners in the Saints salary cap, they would be able to match any bid whether it was going to trigger band one or not, then they could force a trade and receive something closer to his worth.

The fact that the Saints didn’t value Battle enough to pay him in the top 25% of players on its list (thus making him a UFA) suggests he’s not valuable enough to warrant an early first round selection, no?

?

If Battle was in the top 25% of earners in the Saints salary cap, they would be able to match any bid whether it was going to trigger band one or not, then they could force a trade and receive something closer to his worth.

The fact that the Saints didn’t value Battle enough to pay him in the top 25% of players on its list (thus making him a UFA) suggests he’s not valuable enough to warrant an early first round selection, no?
You’re basing everything on he previous contract. People can improve and increase their value. Things need to be judged in the here and now. Not 3 years ago

?

People are only ever static and never change and improve.

You’re basing everything on he previous contract. People can improve and increase their value. Things need to be judged in the here and now. Not 3 years ago
Of course they can improve and get better, and clubs can offer extra incentives or reward player form with larger contracts throughout an existing one. Either Battle has decided not to accept these, or they were not offered. Also - his last contract was just a 2 year deal signed in the closing stages of 2022, and statistically his 2022 is actually relatively similar to 23 and 24? The club has absolutely nobody to blame but themselves if Battle leaves and they are compensated inadequately.

Even those on your own board have acknowledged this situation has been handled horribly by the club.

Karma for buying Brad Crouch at band 3 prices. Love to see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now being reported on the AFL website that we're upping our offer to him. Lends weight to what has been said about the original offer not triggering band one.

Now being reported on the AFL website that we're upping our offer to him. Lends weight to what has been said about the original offer not triggering band one.
He's a UFA.
So he either wants to come to Hawthorn, or not. He walks. You can't match the offer.

Unless he's money hungry and trying to squeeze every last dollar out of us. But he doesn't seem the type.

If he wanted to stay at Saints, he would've signed months ago.

He's a UFA.
So he either wants to come to Hawthorn, or not. He walks. You can't match the offer.

Unless he's money hungry and trying to squeeze every last dollar out of us. But he doesn't seem the type.

I wasn't offering an opinion, just relaying what I read.

We'll find out next week.

He's a UFA.

St Kilda have until the form 41 is lodged to meet Battle half way on the pay, I would be very surprised if they don't know what sort of money they are competing against but not at all that a club is seeking to get a discount for not needing to attract the player.

He's a UFA.

How many players coming into their prime have left a club for less money? I can only think of one.

How many players coming into their prime have left a club for less money? I can only think of one.
Dangerfield took less money in the official lodged AFL contract but we all know how things work at Geelong with their "Costa Living Allowance" and underpriced real estate.

Cameron? well he's another that has enjoyed the off the books stuff at Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back