Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

It shocked crows fans. He won their B&F that year and his value was worth a 2nd round pick in the end.

Don’t know why anyone is shocked by the AFL’s “secret Free Agent formula”, it’s got less credibility than a pub raffle.

I stopped paying attention when the Hawks got Pick 19 for Lance Franklin.

AFL HQ is run by a bunch of donkeys, Free Agent compensation is the best example of this.

Don’t know why anyone is shocked by the AFL’s “secret Free Agent formula”, it’s got less credibility than a pub raffle.

I stopped paying attention when the Hawks got Pick 19 for Lance Franklin.

AFL HQ is run by a bunch of donkeys, Free Agent compensation is the best example of this.

You really fail to comprehend then.
Hawks got Teir 1.
The whole system is designed to give more compensation to lower teams on the ladder than the ones on top.

OK obviously the teams at the bottom of the ladder should end up worse than those at the top.
God help they should ever have a chance of catching up.
Would be dumb if they did.

Clubs should get rewarded for the value of the player they lose regardless of ladder position.

You want to make lower ranked clubs better than they need to bring in more quickly incentives like lowering the minimum payments for the salary cap, more banking of excess cap, and ability to trade cap space for picks/players.

Clubs should get rewarded for the value of the player they lose regardless of ladder position.

You want to make lower ranked clubs better than they need to bring in more quickly incentives like lowering the minimum payments for the salary cap, more banking of excess cap, and ability to trade cap space for picks/players.
you are wrong.
It doesn't make sense.

You want to set it up so the top ranked teams have an advanage.
Might as well make it so the team that finishes on top gets the first draft pick, screw the botom dwellers. Keep them there forever.

He won their B&F that year and his value was worth a 2nd round pick in the end.
Incorrect, the b&f was the year before. Did not feature in the top 10 (played 12 out of the 17 games in 2020), had a hamstring injury, issues with police/drugs, plenty of risk there.

Plus he was a restricted FA, his value at Adelaide had obviously tanked due to the internal rift.

you are wrong.
It doesn't make sense.

Might as well make it so the team that finishes on top gets the first draft pick, screw the botom dwellers. Keep them there forever.
The draft and salary cap are already in place to help the bottom teams, add in the AFL just deciding to hand out BS picks or assistance whenever they feel like it. Clubs already have the measures in place to rebuild as long as they get it right.

A system that thinks Frawley and Mckay should net a club MUCH MUCH more than Franklin is a stupid system.

you are wrong.
It doesn't make sense.

Well when you see decent free agents leaving top clubs then let’s reconvene this conversation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draft and salary cap are already in place to help the bottom teams, add in the AFL just deciding to hand out BS picks or assistance whenever they feel like it. Clubs already have the measures in place to rebuild as long as they get it right.

A system that thinks Frawley and Mckay should net a club MUCH MUCH more than Franklin is a stupid system.
the salary cap doesn’t work well enough and the draft gives the bottom side one pick ahead of the top side. Add to that academies and FS then the league needs more levers to pull to equalise the comp. Having compensation is a joke in the first place. Imo we should get rid of Band 2 compo though.

A system that gives some teams "random" early draft picks regardless of their position on the ladder is stupider.

the salary cap doesn’t work well enough and the draft gives the bottom side one pick ahead of the top side. Add to that academies and FS then the league needs more levers to pull to equalise the comp. Having compensation is a joke in the first place. Imo we should get rid of Band 2 compo though.
I am not saying the system isn't flawed, i am saying the idea that free agent compo picks need to be another equalisation measure is wrong. Fix the other areas and either scrap compo picks or have them be based on the players value and not ladder position.

I am not saying the system isn't flawed, i am saying the idea that free agent compo picks need to be another equalisation measure is wrong. Fix the other areas and either scrap compo picks or have them be based on the players value and not ladder position.
They aren’t going to get rid of FS or academies but and they won’t get rid of compo because everyone will force trades which the players won’t allow and I imagine clubs wouldn’t allow them to get rid of restricted FA.
FS has always been a joke imo but when the AFL put clubs in areas that can’t really sustain them they are forced to come up with all these crap measures.

tier 2 is independent. you could make tier 1 mid first round.

Kind of my point - Pick 19 for Buddy.

Yeesh.
Turned pick 19 into a 2 time premiership player and club captain, while Bud never won another flag.

Would do it again.

That’s ones of the stupidest things I’ve heard in a while

Lol

He is 100% correct.

No one outside the top 25% pay bracket should get band 1 compo.

$900k pa shouldnt land band 1 either.

Elite players will soon be regularly getting $1m plus pa. And it is those truly elite players that are the onea who should generate band 1.

Once again the AFL stuffing up something that should be easy to get right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back