Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

this is sader than Murphs.
Murphy was still young but got to play some games and played in a premiership. Josh didnt really get a chance to show his talents.

If i was a player manager i would be asking new players to play in a helmet to protect themselves and their career.
is there really any downside to wearing a helmet?

this is sader than Murphs.
Murphy was still young but got to play some games and played in a premiership. Josh didnt really get a chance to show his talents.

If i was a player manager i would be asking new players to play in a helmet to protect themselves and their career.
is there really any downside to wearing a helmet?
Helmets don't prevent concussion. Your brain still shakes in your skull on impact. No helmet can prevent that from happening.

What’s it been over the last few years, around 4 players per season medically retired across the competition?

This obviously isn’t a recent thing. And today’s competition probably has the least physical contact it has ever had. There must be hundreds of former players out there suffering from the effects of their playing days. Especially factoring in the lower leagues.

Last edited:
What’s it been over the last few years, around 4 players per season medically retired across the competition?

This obviously isn’t a recent thing. And today’s competition probably has the least physical contact it has probably ever had. There must be hundreds of former players out there suffering from the effects of their playing days. Especially factoring in the lower leagues.
Of course there are. That's why the AFL & other sports are so focussed on concussion.

And it's those which have suffered cumulative concussions retiring. So it's not just what they acquired during their AFL career.

This obviously isn’t a recent thing. And today’s competition probably has the least physical contact it has probably ever had. There must be hundreds of former players out there suffering from the effects of their playing days. Especially factoring in the lower leagues.
It might be time for all clubs to introduce neck muscle strengthening exercises like the NRL. As an ex mug boxer, I suffered 4 or 5 concussions whilst playing football and don't have any lingering effects at 62yo. I was never knocked out in the ring either. It could depend on a person's make up also. I'm just shooting the breeze here though

In his short career he got to play in one of the all time great Collingwood wins against Essendon.

More than that though he came onto the ground as the activated sub in just his 3rd game and nailed two long range set shots. Plenty of more experienced players would have wilted under that spotlight.

We don't have that famous victory without his contribution that day and his contribution will live on in the minds of the Collingwood faithful whenever we think of that game.

Not a bad legacy for an 8 game player.

Thanks Josh.

All the best for your future endeavours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be time for all clubs to introduce neck muscle strengthening exercises like the NRL. As an ex mug boxer, I suffered 4 or 5 concussions whilst playing football and don't have any lingering effects at 62yo. I was never knocked out in the ring either. It could depend on a person's make up also. I'm just shooting the breeze here though

Would you really know if your decision making or memory was hindered by say, 10-20%? Compared to if you never had any concussions...

Can't remember?
I was asked if I wanted to be in a bit of a study for people with type 2 diabetes and age etc, to see if any of these things can be responsible for aiding dementia. I passed the initial test easily so I was told that I didn't qualify. Hopefully, that's a good sign

This obviously isn’t a recent thing. And today’s competition probably has the least physical contact it has ever had. There must be hundreds of former players out there suffering from the effects of their playing days. Especially factoring in the lower leagues.

Ever? What are you talking about..

The contact is far more severe in many ways in the modern era, players are bigger, quicker and hit harder.

The contact is far more severe in many ways in the modern era, players are bigger, quicker and hit harder.

Quicker? Absolutely.

Bigger? Hit harder? - nah, don’t think so. Players these days seem a lot leaner: And a lot more professional keeping their emotions in check.

Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

Back