Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

Quicker? Absolutely.

Bigger? Hit harder? - nah, don’t think so. Players these days seem a lot leaner: And a lot more professional keeping their emotions in check.
Their speed necessitates more forceful impact. Also, more frequent impacts at speed

Quicker? Absolutely.

Bigger? Hit harder? - nah, don’t think so. Players these days seem a lot leaner: And a lot more professional keeping their emotions in check.
I'll take Leigh Matthews's word on the matter. He says today's game is far tougher for the reasons I stated and added players of today are far braver.

How many weeks do you think this got at the time?

There was a total of 72 tackles that game. 47 from the Hawks and 25 from the Cats.

Last years grand-final had a total of 126 with 73 from the Pies and 53 from Brisbane.

Our last match had a total of 99 tackles. 43 from the Pies and 56 from the Bombers.

Last edited:
Such a shame.
his boot was a weapon that we didn’t get to see enough.

Everyone complained about his inside game, but it was his kicking that would have set him apart.
Played the JDG fwd centre Mid role in VFL and kicked goals. All you can ask.

Great work carmy!!
Still think your first kick was a goal from the boundary (you were hard done by!!).

And I’ll always love the “free boots” comment from Fly when you were drafted.

Go well.

The was a total of 72 tackles that game. 47 from the Hawks and 25 from the Cats.

Last years grand-final had a total of 126 with 73 from the Pies and 53 from Brisbane.

Our last match had a total of 99 tackles. 43 from the Pies and 56 from the Bombers.
Tackling was often insipid back in the 70's and 80's.

this is sader than Murphs.
Murphy was still young but got to play some games and played in a premiership. Josh didnt really get a chance to show his talents.

If i was a player manager i would be asking new players to play in a helmet to protect themselves and their career.
is there really any downside to wearing a helmet?
I think all players should wear helmets

I know I know doesn't prevent concussion

But it has to help !!??

Even if only a few per cent

I'll take Leigh Matthews's word on the matter. He says today's game is far tougher for the reasons I stated and added players of today are far braver.

Oh c’mon, he’s taking the piss. This from the bloke who was charged with criminal assault on the footy field in the 80’s.

The was a total of 72 tackles that game. 47 from the Hawks and 25 from the Cats.

Add the number of bumps and shirtfronts? - they were raison d’etre back in the day but you never see them now.

“Duty of care” wasn’t a thing.

Practically anything was allowed as long as it happened near the footy. Players would be hoping for their opponent to get the footy so they could have a fair crack at them.

Big hits were celebrated …

Last edited:
I think all players should wear helmets

I know I know doesn't prevent concussion

But it has to help !!??

Even if only a few per cent
I think there’s good scientific evidence that certain helmets can reduce the severity of concussions. There’s not many facilities that actually test the helmets scientifically though so you have to do some research to find them. The big advance has been certain “smart” gels that they are using and they are only in some helmets. The rugby union helmets which is what most players are wearing now are the ones that are most effective however the difference between brands and sometimes within a brand’s range can vary quite a lot. Hopefully further advances in technology improve their effectiveness but the right helmet can help in reducing the severity of impact and therefor the consequences.

Add the number of bumps and shirtfronts? - they were raison d’etre back in the day but you never see them now.

“Duty of care” wasn’t a thing.

Practically anything was allowed as long as it happened near the footy. Players would be hoping for their opponent to get the footy so they could have a fair crack at them.

Big hits were celebrated …

“Duty of care” is a necessary evolution of the game because it’s so much more physical these days not the element that makes.

What you’re describing is a cultural aspect of the game back then, has little to do with how physical the game was in comparison of today. Big hits happen today as well. There are just free kicks and suspensions awarded for those.

The issue with todays game there’s so much more dangerous incidental contact. Today’s game is so physical you don’t need someone looking to purposely hurt you to get hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Duty of care” is a necessary evolution of the game because it’s so much more physical these days not the element that makes.

What you’re describing is a cultural aspect of the game back then, has little to do with how physical the game was in comparison of today. Big hits happen today as well. There are just free kicks and suspensions awarded for those.

The issue with todays game there’s so much more dangerous incidental contact. Today’s game is so physical you don’t need someone looking to purposely hurt you to get hurt.

IMO the incidence in the game of the brain violently rattling around the skull (which is the point) would have been much higher back then …

… but it’s all a bit moot because these days it is kinda measured and back then it wasn’t. Who really knows?

It’d be an exercise for some student academic to watch historic seasons of football and log the number of incidents that would trigger a 2024 HIA.

One thing that is very different today is the kids are taking the game more seriously from a younger age. So fair chance they’ve had more concussions before they even turn up in the AFL.

IMO the incidence in the game of the brain violently rattling around the skull (which is the point) would have been much higher back then …

… but it’s all a bit moot because these days it is kinda measured and back then it wasn’t. Who really knows?

It’d be an exercise for some student academic to watch historic seasons of football and log the number of incidents that would trigger a 2024 HIA.

One thing that is very different today is the kids are taking the game more seriously from a younger age. So fair chance they’ve had more concussions before they even turn up in the AFL.
Let it go. The collisions are so much more violent and frequent these days. Players are bigger(they are taller, generally stronger and so much faster, just with less fat). The ball moves quicker, there are far more contests per game at far higher speeds.

Newton's Second Law of Motion applies.

Let it go. The collisions are so much more violent and frequent these days. Players are bigger(they are taller, generally stronger and so much faster, just with less fat). The ball moves quicker, there are far more contests per game at far higher speeds.

Newton's Second Law of Motion applies.

Sure, agree with “stronger, taller, faster”.

But balance that with support from the rules of the game, professional attitudes of the competition, and societal standards.

Back then it was pr0n. These days it’s clubbing baby seals. That makes a big difference.

Too tiresome to continue.

Oh c’mon Swipey, surely you’re only just getting started? You must have spent at least a dozen pages arguing about how the concussion protocol goes for 13 days!

Tougher now probably but you were much more likely to be hit when you didn't see it coming in Leigh's day(the type of hits that cause damage, most players then and now can't really do much damage with their fists). At the same time players got bigger and stronger on average into the 90's so the players might not have been big enough to do too much damage before the 70's.
They're pretty lean now but they were also very lean up to the 70's(most players had the build of a strong field umpire before then).

Player Watch Josh Carmichael

Remove this Banner Ad

Back