Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Bass to SANFL
Cornes defence
Carr to midfield
---------- to forwards
Who do we get to take over our forwards

Welcome back Joshy. A genuine hard-nosed Port Adelaide player whose approach to football would have fit comfortably into our glorious sanfl past.

jason-akermanis-for-the-lions-clashes-with-josh-carr-for-the-power-picture-id51356413
Let's hope we see a bit more of this

View attachment 1509253

All the talk in the media a couple weeks ago was that he would be coming in as a senior assistant, also being in the box seat to potentially take the reigns in 24 (a succession plan that was not a succession plan).

I'm concerned now he's been announced as just our new midfield coach, that Kenny pulled our fearless president aside & put a stop to the "senior assistant, succession plan" idea.

Glad to have him on board though, love the way he goes about it. Hopefully some more signings and shuffling announcements to follow.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We must have another assistant in the wings. I'm presuming they are still involved in a finals campaign.

Would need to work through what the coaching lists are at the 4 competing clubs.

Succession plan in effect. One can only hope. Hinkley might walk if he sniffs the plan.
Donuts is entering uncharted territory - the last year of his contract, and so far there's no safety net beyond next year. If he doesn't suspect that he's on borrowed time, then he's not too bright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must have another assistant in the wings. I'm presuming they are still involved in a finals campaign.

Would need to work through what the coaching lists are at the 4 competing clubs.

Why would you assume that? Carr replaces Montgomery as midfield coach. Lokan was SANFL coach so that's the position that needs to be filled.

Also worth remembering that Koch indicated that Lauren Arnell will be taking a role in our AFL programme so there's an extra coach of some description there compared to what we ran with this year. Maybe Arnell to development coach and Goldsack to SANFL coach?

Why would you assume that? Carr replaces Montgomery as midfield coach. Lokan was SANFL coach so that's the position that needs to be filled.

Also worth remembering that Koch indicated that Lauren Arnell will be taking a role in our AFL programme so there's an extra coach of some description there compared to what we ran with this year. Maybe Arnell to development coach and Goldsack to SANFL coach?

That must be why Lauren is using language that is familiar to our men's coaching group ;)

Love that he is back.

If he was coming back as part of a succession plan wouldnt he be more likely senior assistant though?

Maybe Im reading way too much in to it but it wouldnt surprise me if the dream is:

2023: Carr mid, Graham (or similar) senior assistant.
2024: Carr senior assistant, Graham head coach.

Rutten obviously a spanner in any plan like that.

Love that he is back.

If he was coming back as part of a succession plan wouldnt he be more likely senior assistant though?

Maybe Im reading way too much in to it but it wouldnt surprise me if the dream is:

2023: Carr mid, Graham (or similar) senior assistant.
2024: Carr senior assistant, Graham head coach.

Rutten obviously a spanner in any plan like that.
That is how I am reading that too.

I mean he can't say otherwise though can he?

Josh seems like a smart man, at an absolute minimum he's picked up the role thinking that he's a fair chance to take over as caretaker coach in the likely event Donuts doesn't see out the year. From there he just needs to do relatively well and he's in the box seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back