Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Carr would give the players a harder edge, but he’s tactically limited. Unless we can surround him with some very good assistants, I’m not sure he should be the next in line.

I still think Carr can be successful but I’d like to see some new assistants put around him.

We’ve lost some quality assistants in recent years such as Schofield, Voss and Montgomery, didn’t renew Bassett and replaced them with the likes of Luke Kelly and Tyson Goldsack. The number of coaches is less and the quality is clearly less, and would like to understand why.

I thought it had something to do with covid and reduction in football spend but it’s a couple years on and it still seems like we’ve got a budget coaching team.

Can we not attract any decent assistants anymore? Or are they clearing the roster for Carr or whoever will be our next coach to bring in their own team of assistant coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
This is how we can afford to pay the choker Ken Hinkley mega bucks.

We'll probably just end up giving Jordan's job to Eddy Cornes and then do an extensive search of Victorian country leagues for line coaches
Yep. This club is going nowhere until we get real serious about winning a flag which means leaving no stone unturned and to stop cheap appointments particularly from within.

I still think Carr can be successful but I’d like to see some new assistants put around him.

We’ve lost some quality assistants in recent years such as Schofield, Voss and Montgomery, didn’t renew Bassett and replaced them with the likes of Luke Kelly and Tyson Goldsack. The number of coaches is less and the quality is clearly less, and would like to understand why.

I thought it had something to do with covid and reduction in football spend but it’s a couple years on and it still seems like we’ve got a budget coaching team.

Can we not attract any decent assistants anymore? Or are they clearing the roster for Carr or whoever will be our next coach to bring in their own team of assistant coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

it has be how we managed to eliminate a 12 million dollar debt in 4 seasons post covid.

we robbed peter to pay paul.

8 season with koch in charge debt stayed at 12 then in 4 seasons it evaportated.

some would have come from MG GFG KFC and Santos coming on board or upping their spend but some had to have come from footy department budget.

Stinkley aslo likes yes men.

I don't think anyone here can know exactly what Carr's responsibilities are or what % he contributes to the tactics. What we do know is he's been part of the coaching panel for a few years and we're still one of the mentally softest teams in professional sport. I also see our star studded midfield had it handed to us again last night by a team who looked physically bigger and worked harder.
Anyone but Ken, but Carr's stocks have plummeted too.

Whoever was responsible for Jason Horne Francis starting on the beach against Geelong can not coach Port Adelaide.

If that was our midfield coach in Josh Carr then he's not the right person to take over from Hinkley.

" Let's throw Geelong off guard by doing something incredibly stupid."

Whoever was responsible for Jason Horne Francis starting on the beach against Geelong can not coach Port Adelaide.

If that was our midfield coach in Josh Carr then he's not the right person to take over from Hinkley.

There's no way that wasn't Ken.

He has always been far too worried about what the opposition will do.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

From what Chewy has said, surrounding him with the right people will obviously happen.

I think all but one of the assistants is contracted for next year. So don't get your hopes up for massive change.

It's a pass for me on Carr. Too many are quick to attribute any success to him yet absolve him from blame when things go awry.

We need someone with fresh ideas from a proven football program.

Why do you think he wouldn't bring any fresh ideas?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a pass for me on Carr. Too many are quick to attribute any success to him yet absolve him from blame when things go awry.

We need someone with fresh ideas from a proven football program.
Depends on what he has been allowed to do and what he hasn’t

There’s no way we can know that

why were we shocked he started on the bench?

the last 5 weeks the starting mids were butters,drew, wines.

rozee in half forward

and hornet on the bench

he had been doing it for the last month and a half.

Why do you think he wouldn't bring any fresh ideas?
Chewy, what do you think has gone wrong (and why) with our midfield in the last three finals, 3 out of the 4 past showdowns and the beltings we’ve received in the last two years at the hands of Collingwood and Brisbane?

Is it that we don’t have good midfield talent? Or the right combination of players? That the players are mentally soft? Or that they haven’t been trained, prepared and coached well enough to deliver when the pressure and stakes are highest?

I accept that Hinkley sets the culture and is most at blame for our predicament and recurring failings.

But if Josh was really at the top of his game, wouldn’t he have been able to prevent repeated failings of our most important section of the ground again and again. By my reckoning, there are at least 9 midfield horror shows since the start of 2023:
1. 3 Showdowns
2. 3 Finals
3. Brisbane 2024
4. Collingwood MCG both years

There have been other poor results but these 9 performances have been galling and the midfield has absolutely failed us the most. Surely Carr had some power and intent to prevent or stop a third, if not a half, of these?

If the cattle’s not good enough, then what needs to happen in the midfield next year? Do we need to go to the mid season draft to bring in a rare talent like Jai Newcombe or Peatling?

Yep. This club is going nowhere until we get real serious about winning a flag which means leaving no stone unturned and to stop cheap appointments particularly from within.
We’re run like a country league footy club.
Joe behind the bar also helps out with the coaching and does goal umpiring on match days.

We will always take the easy and cheap option, Carr will get the job and I’ll put money on a sack Carr thread.

Just being realistic. Hinkley will have to be paid out for a year of his contract so there's say $900K gone. Then Carr's salary will get bumped, that's be another $4-500K.

Sack Cornes and Goldsack, that's probably another $500K payout or whatever they're paid then double that to get new assistants. At the risk of getting into meme territory, who will you get? The crows have van Berlo and Jack Hombsch as assistants. That's the level SA clubs can attract, so who - Surjan? Cassisi? Recycle Marty Mattner?

Carry may have a lieutenant in mind as a senior assistant, and that will cost more but is a way to attract someone from interstate with credibility.

Chewy, what do you think has gone wrong (and why) with our midfield in the last three finals, 3 out of the 4 past showdowns and the beltings we’ve received in the last two years at the hands of Collingwood and Brisbane?

Is it that we don’t have good midfield talent? Or the right combination of players? That the players are mentally soft? Or that they haven’t been trained, prepared and coached well enough to deliver when the pressure and stakes are highest?

I accept that Hinkley sets the culture and is most at blame for our predicament and recurring failings.

But if Josh was really at the top of his game, wouldn’t he have been able to prevent repeated failings of our most important section of the ground again and again. By my reckoning, there are at least 9 midfield horror shows since the start of 2023:
1. 3 Showdowns
2. 3 Finals
3. Brisbane 2024
4. Collingwood MCG both years

There have been other poor results but these 9 performances have been galling and the midfield has absolutely failed us the most. Surely Carr had some power and intent to prevent or stop a third, if not a half, of these?

If the cattle’s not good enough, then what needs to happen in the midfield next year? Do we need to go to the mid season draft to bring in a rare talent like Jai Newcombe or Peatling?

I think in every one of those games it's not just the midfield that has copped a hiding, but rather the entire team has been slaughtered.

You can go back over the years and look at plenty of games in which the entire team under Hinkley have capitulated irrespective of the personnel on the field and in the coaches' box. It's a systemic issue where the one constant is Ken Hinkley.

All of those games you mention above, they're all big games. Finals are big games. Showdowns are like finals. The Brisbane game was the celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Club's only AFL Premiership. Collingwood at the G is arguably the biggest away game you can put on the calendar that's not a Showdown.

They're mentally fragile. It's because they have a senior coach who constantly preaches just by turning up you give yourself a chance, and eventually things will break for you and you'll get the results you want. It doesn't work like that. You have to make things happen in this game - turning up doesn't guarantee anything.

Ken also is of the opinion that a game against West Coast at home is just as meaningful as a Showdown or a game against the league leader for example that would have top 4 and top 8 ramifications. His logic is that each game is worth 4 points. The problem with that is that every other team out there sets themselves for certain games during the season, so when other teams lift their game, Port for the most part are unable to go with them and match the intensity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back