Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Just being realistic. Hinkley will have to be paid out for a year of his contract so there's say $900K gone. Then Carr's salary will get bumped, that's be another $4-500K.

Sack Cornes and Goldsack, that's probably another $500K payout or whatever they're paid then double that to get new assistants. At the risk of getting into meme territory, who will you get? The crows have van Berlo and Jack Hombsch as assistants. That's the level SA clubs can attract, so who - Surjan? Cassisi? Recycle Marty Mattner?

Carry may have a lieutenant in mind as a senior assistant, and that will cost more but is a way to attract someone from interstate with credibility.
Very true, what you want and what you get are two different things especially if your one of the S.A clubs.
It’s nice to dream but I can’t see us getting any big names.
More likely Carr or an assistant from somewhere else.
I’d prefer a new face but can’t see it happening.
I also can’t see our current administration allowing too much change.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Just being realistic. Hinkley will have to be paid out for a year of his contract so there's say $900K gone. Then Carr's salary will get bumped, that's be another $4-500K.

Sack Cornes and Goldsack, that's probably another $500K payout or whatever they're paid then double that to get new assistants. At the risk of getting into meme territory, who will you get? The crows have van Berlo and Jack Hombsch as assistants. That's the level SA clubs can attract, so who - Surjan? Cassisi? Recycle Marty Mattner?

Carry may have a lieutenant in mind as a senior assistant, and that will cost more but is a way to attract someone from interstate with credibility.
Has anyone researched what Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood invest in their football departments?

Just curious to know what success off the field looks like.

I also can’t see our current administration allowing too much change.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.
The current admin drives the club culture and narrative. Carr or any other prospective coach is going to have a battle changing that. Just hope Carr is strong willed to overcome it.

Has anyone researched what Geelong, Hawthorn and Collingwood invest in their football departments?

Just curious to know what success off the field looks like.

The soft cap is $7.25M but it has capacity for amendments that increase that amount.

I'd like to see someone like Goldsack under different leadership tbh he's a solid human, we just don't know the inner dynamics with Ken as Lord Poobah it's a bit short sighted to put a line through everybody.

If an even half sensible performance clause was written into hinkley's most recent contract extension it should cost sfa to give him the rissole, particularly if there is yet another straight sets exit.

If NO such clause exists the club is being run by the biggest f***wits in the history of the sport!
I've probably got some bad news for you.

That contract was done before finals that year when we went out in straight sets.

And just quietly I'm worried about the Marshall contract.

Last edited:
I’m all for Carr as head coach.

I love the way he played. I hope if he is our next coach, he brings something similar to what Sam Mitchell has to Hawks.
As long as he bashes people that's all I really care about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest thing that Carr has going for him is that he’s not Ken Hinkley.

I mean, that’s good enough for me, but I’d rather cast the net far and wide.
That’s a very low bar.
Next coach shouldn’t be at least he’s not Hinkley choice.
We need someone who’s going to be able to at least do what Hinkley has done and that’s get us into finals.
Then he has to be able to get the players to take the next step.
All in all not an easy ask, hope you’re young enough because it’s going to take time.

Ken also is of the opinion that a game against West Coast at home is just as meaningful as a Showdown or a game against the league leader for example that would have top 4 and top 8 ramifications. His logic is that each game is worth 4 points. The problem with that is that every other team out there sets themselves for certain games during the season, so when other teams lift their game, Port for the most part are unable to go with them and match the intensity.

No shit. A perennial loser in his playing days who gets to survive as coach for a record amount of time as long as he banks enough of those nothing wins. Just show up and flat track your way to another contract extension for me boys.

I'm not convinced on Josh Carr any more but at least he hopefully won't be that (though if he's happy with what he's seen here he may be getting close).

I'd like to see someone like Goldsack under different leadership tbh he's a solid human, we just don't know the inner dynamics with Ken as Lord Poobah it's a bit short sighted to put a line through everybody.

He did get the Magpies to a finals series and the defence responded well to the adjustments to the game plan during the year. Not his fault how easily the ball was brought into attacking positions by Geelong. He seems to connect well with the players. I want to see him under a new coach, I think he has something to offer.

If an even half sensible performance clause was written into hinkley's most recent contract extension it should cost sfa to give him the rissole, particularly if there is yet another straight sets exit.

If NO such clause exists the club is being run by the biggest f***wits in the history of the sport!
Quite the opposite it would seem. There is a clause for an extension if he wins a flag, which he would no doubt claim we denied him the opportunity to do and demand a multi year payout.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Im so sick of all of our coaching team being people internally, past players and such.
you look at any other succesul team and they're coaching panel is much more experienced with people appointed externaly.
cornes and Matty lobe shouldnt even be water boys.
I’ve been saying for years we always take the easy options.
Ex players who’s hung around like a bad smell for years, yep they make a great coach.

The biggest thing that Carr has going for him is that he’s not Ken Hinkley.

I mean, that’s good enough for me, but I’d rather cast the net far and wide.
The worst thing that Carr has going for him is he’s been around the Hinkley group for too long.
He’s the midfield coach and they have been our biggest imposters in finals.
Preferably I still want a new face from outside the club.
That’s not going to happen under this bumhole administration.
Well get Carr and possibly another couple of ex players who have been kissing arse around the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back