Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Carr has only played and coached in SA and WA, so potentially has no Victorian 'mates' serving coaching apprenticeships at successful Victorian clubs who would be interested in picking up their families and moving to little old Adelaide. Particularly when there are 9 other clubs they could potentially move to for career advancement without having to move interstate. I think any new assistants will be from SA or WA, or ex Freo and Port players coming from other states. Not ideal.

Carr has only played and coached in SA and WA, so potentially has no Victorian 'mates' serving coaching apprenticeships at successful Victorian clubs who would be interested in picking up their families and moving to little old Adelaide. Particularly when there are 9 other clubs they could potentially move to for career advancement without having to move interstate. I think any new assistants will be from SA or WA, or ex Freo and Port players coming from other states. Not ideal.

One thing is for sure, he’ll get none of the protection from the Victorian media mafia that Donuts has enjoyed for 12 years.

Kenny’s a great bloke from Camperdown who played for Geelong & Fitzroy. Josh Carr is a “thug” who played for not the one, but the two most horrible interstate teams.

Last edited:
One things for sure, he’ll get none of the protection from the Victorian media mafia that Donuts has enjoyed for 12 years.

Kenny’s a great bloke from Camperdown who played for Geelong & Fitzroy. Josh Carr is a “thug” who played for not the one, but the two most horrible interstate teams.

Sounds like an ideal candidate, that's how the real Port Adelaide roll, thrive on others spite.

Sounds like an ideal candidate, that's how the real Port Adelaide roll, thrive on others spite.
Got a feeling if Josh takes over, Arnie would come in as a psychologist. I don’t think Josh would be against seeking outside support, as mentioned prior Surjan comes in if Carr succeeds.

Got a feeling if Josh takes over, Arnie would come in as a psychologist. I don’t think Josh would be against seeking outside support, as mentioned prior Surjan comes in if Carr succeeds.
Arnie goes to Kooey with players, part of his corporate coaching he does now.

Head: Josh Carr
Senior Assistant: Cameron Bruce
Defensive: Tyson Goldsack
Midfield: Jacob Surjan
Forwards: Brad Ebert
Rucks: David Hale
Development: Kelly, Williams, Schulz

Don't expect Surjan to come into the coaching staff. That wasn't on the cards last time I checked in about it (albeit, that was a month or so ago, but they had come out with a fairly extensive "shortlist").

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather Nathan Buckley over this guy , sorry.
He'll attract more support from Victoria.
Why would you want support from Victoria?

Ken got more support than any coach in AFL history in the Vic media and its been the most divisive, least successful coaching apppointment ever.

Why would you want support from Victoria?

Ken got more support than any coach in AFL history in the Vic media and its been the most divisive, least successful coaching apppointment ever.
We're not worthy of the great Ken Hinkley and he's a natural born loser who's won nothing after 12 years. Can you imagine what it would be like if we deigned to treat Nathan Buckley like that, despite McRae taking Collingwood from 17th to prelim finalists then premiers in consecutive seasons? ( should he be unsuccessful that is)

Not just Victoria but all over the country.
He'd have more links than Carr.
I'm not talking about media mates.
Ah sorry you mean assistant coaches etc. That's a very valid point. No offence to Chad or Tyson (who I don't really judge one way or the other at this point) but I'd be onboard with a wholesale sweep of the coaching box if we could. Carr will just be same old same old in this regard.

Ah sorry you mean assistant coaches etc. That's a very valid point. No offence to Chad or Tyson (who I don't really judge one way or the other at this point) but I'd be onboard with a wholesale sweep of the coaching box if we could. Carr will just be same old same old in this regard.
Yeah , Kens loved in the media but when it comes to actual support in the box who's he got?
Early days he had a few lining up now nobody except the Chad and Josh who has his own plans. Embarrassing really.
I think Buckley would be able to pull bigger names.

Everyone talks about what a great guy Hinkley is, and the media all love him and say he's such a great character.

Contrast to Scott, Hardwick, Clarkson who are all renowned dickheads with demonstrated anti-social behaviour. I think Carr falls much closer to the latter camp, which in itself has me feeling optimistic.

Everyone talks about what a great guy Hinkley is, and the media all love him and say he's such a great character.

Contrast to Scott, Hardwick, Clarkson who are all renowned dickheads with demonstrated anti-social behaviour. I think Carr falls much closer to the latter camp, which in itself has me feeling optimistic.
Are we thinking that because of the way he's played or how he's presented as a coach?

Carry presents well to the media, he's not rude or a smartarse.

As a coach, he strikes me as a guy who will seek to be respected, not loved.

And he won't be afraid to bring in outside opinions that challenge his thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Josh Carr - Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back