Josh Gibson

Remove this Banner Ad

If we want Gibson to spend another year on our Rookie list, can a club draft him in this years draft, or rookie list him themselves?

If it's down to a rookie contract, I think the player has the choice whether he wants to stay as a rookie at that club (provided the club offers another rookie year) or chance his arm in the National Draft in a gig for a senior deal and thus payments.

Not often that rookies don't accept another year on the rookie list though, off the top of my head.

Not sure what the Sinclair bashing is all about.Is he the new target in 06 now that Romance Lance has left :confused:

He's a quality player, and to say that Gibson is ahead of him in all facets of the game without even playing ONE AFL game is ridiculous. Sounds almost Hawthorn-esque. Every player they recruit is going to be a superstar based on the fact that a) they are 17 yo or b) they are yet to debut so we are yet to find out how crap they really are.

If any of the kids are good enough they will play. And if any of them take Sinclair's place at least we know we have a very good side if he's not in it.

utility said:
Sinclair bashing is plain stupid. He is easily in our best 18. I haven't seen much of Gibson but to say Gibson is better than Sinclair at this point in time is ludicrous.

I dont think anyone is disagreeing with him being in our starting 18, its just when he can be annoying to watch at times with his short chipping and indecisive game. There is no doubt he will keep his spot into this year and years to come but with the likes of Urch, JWS, Gibson, and Trotter coming through his spot may be up there if he doesnt change the way he plays. With the inclusion of a real full back which frees up Leighroy further down the ground, i believe it will be much easier for Sinclair to be able to move the ball quicker and kick to a long target.

utility said:
Sinclair bashing is plain stupid. He is easily in our best 18. I haven't seen much of Gibson but to say Gibson is better than Sinclair at this point in time is ludicrous.
I have seen him and he is a big bodied flanker type.He would have to be a flanker type because he is too short for anything else.Honestly he obviously isn't better than Sinclair but he does have some good qualities.He is quick for a heavily built guy,strong and aggressive and has good vision.
As to whether he is promoted or not who knows...My thoughts are we have guys who are probably better than him at the moment and if they were seriously considering him they would have done so by now.But having said that I could be grossly off the mark so we'll have to wait and see.

mark73 said:
I have seen him and he is a big bodied flanker type.He would have to be a flanker type because he is too short for anything else.Honestly he obviously isn't better than Sinclair but he does have some good qualities.He is quick for a heavily built guy,strong and aggressive and has good vision.
As to whether he is promoted or not who knows...My thoughts are we have guys who are probably better than him at the moment and if they were seriously considering him they would have done so by now.But having said that I could be grossly off the mark so we'll have to wait and see.
You could be groosly off the mark,but,you would be more likely to be grossly off the mark(73)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HeLMie said:
Mate you cant go bagging our club no matter what they do. Havent you learnt :D
Haven't you learned? It's the way you do it. F/D is applying scrutiny which I personally welcome, but that's different from aggressively bagging not just players, but those who support them.

Back on topic...

FWIW, I haven't seen much of Gibson at all, but the bits I saw I reckon he struck me as having a good footy brain and I was particularly impressed with his cool head in traffic (along with Trotter).

People are comparing him to Sinclair, suggesting that it is Sinkers' place he'd take? (I thought Sinclair did okay in what seemed to be a fairly clear charter to be the link person, wait for a target and not have the ball bounce straight back into the backline). Anyway, if Gibson was to break through, what about Makepeace's spot? Having a bit more height and bulk might be useful down back? :confused:

Kimbo said:
Haven't you learned? It's the way you do it. F/D is applying scrutiny which I personally welcome, but that's different from aggressively bagging not just players, but those who support them.

Back on topic...

FWIW, I haven't seen much of Gibson at all, but the bits I saw I reckon he struck me as having a good footy brain and I was particularly impressed with his cool head in traffic (along with Trotter).

People are comparing him to Sinclair, suggesting that it is Sinkers' place he'd take? (I thought Sinclair did okay in what seemed to be a fairly clear charter to be the link person, wait for a target and not have the ball bounce straight back into the backline). Anyway, if Gibson was to break through, what about Makepeace's spot? Having a bit more height and bulk might be useful down back? :confused:
I dont think Gibson could take Makepeaces position. One thing is, would Gibbo play on the smaller forwards? another thing is, could he go with tem? is he agile enough? fast enough to play on a Matera or Davey? I'd say no.

I

F/D said:
I dont think Gibson could take Makepeaces position. One thing is, would Gibbo play on the smaller forwards? another thing is, could he go with tem? is he agile enough? fast enough to play on a Matera or Davey? I'd say no.

I

Makey can't play on those smaller forwards either. Isolated in the goal square with Matera you always know Makey will be outmarked,he's not quick enough to go with a Davey either. There's certainly a spot for Makepeace in the team but I don't think it's on the small forwards. It's a weakness for us and,while I don't know if Gibbo's the answer,I think he's certainly strong enough not to be outmarked by Matera in a one on one!

Kimbo said:

Now Kimbo, why the need to point out one particular poster, surely you being such a vivid and informed member should've realised that im almost never the one to iniatiate the firey battles, i merely state my contention and others go awire.

However thanks for doing so. ;)

Groucho said:
Makey can't play on those smaller forwards either. Isolated in the goal square with Matera you always know Makey will be outmarked,he's not quick enough to go with a Davey either. There's certainly a spot for Makepeace in the team but I don't think it's on the small forwards. It's a weakness for us and,while I don't know if Gibbo's the answer,I think he's certainly strong enough not to be outmarked by Matera in a one on one!
Yes, but it seems Makey is Laidley's "preferred" option. Thats what I was going by, IMO if Gibbo makes our team, it will be on a HBF.

Kimbo said:

Back on topic...

Having studied a lot of your posts I have come to one pertinent conclusion.You've got to be a left winger.

HeLMie said:
Please elaborate,

Im most intregued, she acts no different to any other biased NM supporter, so why add the politics aspect to it.
I think he is bored.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, I was wanting to say something totally unrelated (e.g about Gibson).

Despite the solid form he's displayed at VFL level the past 2 years, I'd prefer that the club didn't spend (IMO waste) a PSD or draft pick on him.

I'm pretty confident that we've seen the best of him, has limited scope for improvement and wouldn't add anything to our squad and can't ever see him becoming a part of our best 18 despite his relatively young age. I think we've got enough of his type on the list (i.e. mid sized defenders).

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Gibson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back