Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. We have our top 8 and finals pathway.
Anyone got time to determine where things could get messy? Obvious one is any hawks v giants matchup
Swans v GWS is messy if GWS wears its home top and the AFL goes AFL and put them in white shorts.

Previously, GWS has worn its "never surrender" black top. so it shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

Doggies v Hawks is a matchup where both teams could easily wear full preferred kit. But we'll probably see the Hawks in white shorts because, well, we probably just will.

There was a period in the nineties where white shorts rarely worn, but the socks couldn’t be striped, hence the chicken leg socks.

Now hardly anyone has knee socks.

Swans v GWS is messy if GWS wears its home top and the AFL goes AFL and put them in white shorts.

Previously, GWS has worn its "never surrender" black top. so it shouldn't be an issue hopefully.

Hopefully in the black kit. Looks awesome

GettyImages-1486212004.jpg

Hawks will be in white shorts is my tip of what will happen and **** it up

I think Hawks in white shorts, while probably unnecessary, will still be decent contrast. Bris v Carl is the one that annoys me. On the long shots, just a mass of darkness, with blues white shorts not much more prominent than a sponsor's logo.

I think Hawks in white shorts, while probably unnecessary, will still be decent contrast. Bris v Carl is the one that annoys me. On the long shots, just a mass of darkness, with blues white shorts not much more prominent than a sponsor's logo.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Hawks in white shorts is better than brown shorts for that particular match-up. It stands out better to me than the dark colour, when it's against an opponent with a negligible amount of white on their home kit (I'd put the Bulldogs in that category).

Carlton away to Brisbane is a good one as that minor irritation that regularly comes up: two teams who each wear primarily the same colour on their respective guernseys, shorts and socks. So the away team changes to white shorts. But if the away shorts obviously help with the distinction, wouldn't it follow that wearing the clash guernseys would make it better still?

It will never happen, but I'm quite big on the concept that the away team should wear the clash guernsey as a default for away games, unless it would obviously be a worse option than their home guernsey.

Dark v light is always optimal so Carlton in white would be best. Won’t happen though, and the navy ain’t a terrible clash.

We've had so many bad jumper clashes, especially at the Gabba this year. Carlton wearing navy against us wouldn't be anywhere as bad if it were a sunny afternoon game.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Hawks in white shorts is better than brown shorts for that particular match-up. It stands out better to me than the dark colour, when it's against an opponent with a negligible amount of white on their home kit (I'd put the Bulldogs in that category).

Carlton away to Brisbane is a good one as that minor irritation that regularly comes up: two teams who each wear primarily the same colour on their respective guernseys, shorts and socks. So the away team changes to white shorts. But if the away shorts obviously help with the distinction, wouldn't it follow that wearing the clash guernseys would make it better still?

It will never happen, but I'm quite big on the concept that the away team should wear the clash guernsey as a default for away games, unless it would obviously be a worse option than their home guernsey.
Both gws v hawthorn games this year illustrate that a ‘clash’ guernsey makes it worse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both gws v hawthorn games this year illustrate that a ‘clash’ guernsey makes it worse

Agreed and in that particular instance, my advice (which I'm sure their desperate for) is twofold:

1. Hawthorn go back to a white clash. IIRC they had a white heritage this year which would have been much better (https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Hawthorn-2024-Retro.gif).

Keep the (awesome) brown guernsey with the monogram for occasional use e.g. away games against North/Geelong, home games against West Coast in yellow etc.

2. In the preseason, GWS to make a
some slight tweaks to their home colours so that orange is the dominant colour on the front and back: with the size of the 'G' being bigger now, it's practically an even split between white, orange and charcoal on the front. As it stands, I'd say GWS's home guernsey is probably 70% orange and its clash guernsey is 90% orange. Which isn't great.

Reduce the size of the 'G' make the yoke less prominent and swap the orange and charcoal on the front. The clash guernsey can then be the reverse of that with a white version as the third option.

Both teams to wear their white kit as the away team for this fixture. If teams actually made a clash guernsey with the goal of eliminating clashes, instead of bringing back a heritage guernsey or making something that looks as much like the home guernsey as possible, these sort of issues would disappear.

Attachments

• GWS-2024.gif
    GWS-2024.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 6
Agreed and in that particular instance, my advice (which I'm sure their desperate for) is twofold:

1. Hawthorn go back to a white clash. IIRC they had a white heritage this year which would have been much better (https://www.footyjumpers.com/images/Hawthorn-2024-Retro.gif).

Keep the (awesome) brown guernsey with the monogram for occasional use e.g. away games against North/Geelong, home games against West Coast in yellow etc.

2. In the preseason, GWS to make a
some slight tweaks to their home colours so that orange is the dominant colour on the front and back: with the size of the 'G' being bigger now, it's practically an even split between white, orange and charcoal on the front. As it stands, I'd say GWS's home guernsey is probably 70% orange and its clash guernsey is 90% orange. Which isn't great.

Reduce the size of the 'G' make the yoke less prominent and swap the orange and charcoal on the front. The clash guernsey can then be the reverse of that with a white version as the third option.

Both teams to wear their white kit as the away team for this fixture. If teams actually made a clash guernsey with the goal of eliminating clashes, instead of bringing back a heritage guernsey or making something that looks as much like the home guernsey as possible, these sort of issues would disappear.

Or just play in regular kit

But better than the ‘clash’ kit

If teams went back to using white routinely for a clash kit (even when white isn't an official club colour), or teams more generally stopped being gutless with only considering official club colours when designing a clash guernsey, there wouldn't be a problem.

In 2024 Hawthorn had a white kit as an official match day uniform. GWS until recently, had white as its default clash guernsey. The away team in white would have been absolutely fine for this fixture.

If teams went back to using white routinely for a clash kit (even when white isn't an official club colour), or teams more generally stopped being gutless with only considering official club colours when designing a clash guernsey, there wouldn't be a problem.

In 2024 Hawthorn had a white kit as an official match day uniform. GWS until recently, had white as its default clash guernsey. The away team in white would have been absolutely fine for this fixture.

Fair enough, but gws decision to wear all orange made it worse.
Personally I’d prefer the dark brown, but if gws were to wear mainly charcoal, that would be worse

Not related to finals but why on earth do Carlton not wear a clash jumper against Collingwood when it’s their away game?

To a lesser extent why don’t they also wear one against Essendon?
Welcome to the last 315 pages.

The best answer is some form of misapplied tradition in that these particular jumpers have been worn against each other for decades, so they want to keep that matchup. But it's misapplied. Any sense of continuation or tradition is clearly outweighed by the improved viewing experience.

Sturt vs Centrals SANFL QF today with both teams in their light blue guernseys is horrible viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back