Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Short term: Brisbane in the gold clash with white shorts would have seemed to be the obvious combination for this match-up, as the lower ranked team.

Not sure this would have made things much better to be honest. Yes, it greatly improves the contrast from the back, but essentially shifts the similarity to the front, where both sides would have a reddish upper section, and a predominantly light lower section.

It was purple home with white shorts, finishing with purple and white hooped socks.
What choice was there?
I might have confused the point you were trying to make. It seemed that you were complaining that Freo were made to wear their white clash in 2013, which was not the case. Apologies if I got your point wrong.

I'm a huge advocate for clash jumpers (and appropriate coloured shorts). Today was not an issue.

It would have been marginally better with Sydney in white shorts. But not worth worrying about. The viewing experience was fine.

Agree there. It was easy to tell the Swans and Lions apart, it wasn't like we were watching Essendon and Melbourne on a sunny day, Geelong and North Melbourne in the wet or Hawthorn against the Brisbane Lions wearing their Bears-style jumper.

The bar is incredibly low if the only thing we're aiming for is "I literally did not struggle telling the teams apart".

It was also especially bad in the earliest minutes of the game, when the sun was at its brightest and shining directly at the players. When it got a bit darker, the maroon was slightly darker in a way the red wasn't, so it wasn't quite as terrible.

Plenty of people would be watching their only game for the season up in the northern states. Anything to make their viewing experience better for the very same people that the AFL is spending millions on trying to expand and grow the game should have been considered.

This should generally be considered as well - the game product should be considered to be as easy and beneficial as possible. For instance the Dogs away, with white shorts, to Carlton isn't really a "clash", but I have no issue with us wearing white - a club colour - to have maximum contrast against Carlton, because it's just a better view overall.

The bar is incredibly low if the only thing we're aiming for is "I literally did not struggle telling the teams apart".

It was also especially bad in the earliest minutes of the game, when the sun was at its brightest and shining directly at the players. When it got a bit darker, the maroon was slightly darker in a way the red wasn't, so it wasn't quite as terrible.

Plenty of people would be watching their only game for the season up in the northern states. Anything to make their viewing experience better for the very same people that the AFL is spending millions on trying to expand and grow the game should have been considered.

This should generally be considered as well - the game product should be considered to be as easy and beneficial as possible. For instance the Dogs away, with white shorts, to Carlton isn't really a "clash", but I have no issue with us wearing white - a club colour - to have maximum contrast against Carlton, because it's just a better view overall.
I mean, job done.

I mean, job done.
The bar should not be that low.

We should make the viewing experience pleasant. We don't want a game of a rolling maul. Telling the teams apart as easily as possible makes the game more enjoyable.

1727526075062.png

This is aesthetically pleasing

1727526124646.png

This is aesthetically pleasing

1727526186291.png

This is aesthetically pleasing.

This is basically the three combos that they should allow: opposite colour vs opposite colour, light vs dark, dark vs colour.

1727526288200.png

This is not.

Wanted this to work today but with Channel 7's potato cam it was hard from wide shots. And I had no idea if goals were kicked all day with the red sherrin getting lost in the swans supporters. Think it caught BT out a few times as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanted this to work today but with Channel 7's potato cam it was hard from wide shots.
Spot on. The real issue here is the low quality resolution of Seven's supposed HD broadcast. Grand Finals must be available in 4K minimum. If Seven can't handle that, they should be forced to let Foxtel air it (with their ads).

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back