Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

Was it anything like the StKilda poll?
The jumper I designed, with the chevrons down the sides was leading the poll with one day to go.
And when they announced the decision it was the other jumper by something like 60% to 40%.
My thoughts were they had decided on the one they wanted, and ran the other one to make it look like the fans had a say.
Not bitter, wasn't getting anything out of it, so it doesn't matter, and I don't barrack for StKilda, but I was taking an interest because of the design, and they definitely pulled a swifty.

This design was yours, Mero?

e6adc6af8753d3462274f3a2e014cf368246d4568017cdc801761941937b18826g.jpg

Could I ask, how did the design end up being part of a poll (fair or not :()? Did you send in designs to the club? Did you ever follow up with the club? It might not interest the non-St Kilda supporter but the apron design that "won" the poll is surely one of the most despised designs (if not the most despised design) worn by the club; yours was/is infinitely better.

This design was yours, Mero?

e6adc6af8753d3462274f3a2e014cf368246d4568017cdc801761941937b18826g.jpg

Could I ask, how did the design end up being part of a poll (fair or not :()? Did you send in designs to the club? Did you ever follow up with the club? It might not interest the non-St Kilda supporter but the apron design that "won" the poll is surely one of the most despised designs (if not the most despised design) worn by the club; yours was/is infinitely better.

Yes it was.
It was originally designed in MS Paint for a PBeM League I was in, in completely different colours.
In fact, Mr Eagle helped me convert it over to Illustrator when I was first learning to use it.
(Stags first jumper, Rod)

I was doing some research with StKilda Heritage Museum and sent in some info on their older jumpers for Heritage Round.
The StKilda FC Museum uses a design I made for them as well.
StKilda-Heritage-Museum2.gif

Not the jumper, just the logo.

Anyway, I sent through the StKilda version of the design to the club and some time later they came back with the poll on the website. All up I probably sent them 3 or 4 designs.
How that came about was I had one which was a Heritage jumper version to be used as a Clash jumper.
Sort of how they used the candy stripe jumper as an Away jumper, my thoughts were, why not use the Gold one which is very different from Collingwood, and is still a Stkilda jumper.
They asked me what else I had, so I sent a few. Another was a White version of the Crusader.
And then there was the one pictured above.
That's a Skins version of it though. Mine was on my footyjumpers template.

As far as dates, 2005 was when I sent through the info on the Heritage jumpers, which is another story completely*, and 2007 was when this appeared pre-season as an option for a Clash jumper.

*I sent them two options, as at that point I was unsure what the 1915 Gold jumpers looked like. Were they the dyed versions fo the 1914 jumpers, or were they Gold versions of what became the 1923 jumpers (Similar to the three panels of today).
Basically I said they would have looked like this, or that.
Well, they went and made up Gold versions of the 1923 jumpers, while Russell Holmesby was finding me photos showing them wearing dyed 1914 jumpers in 1915.

clash.jpg

These were the three clash strip options that Geelong made available on their website for fans to choose from for the 2007 season. Obviously the middle one was selected over the other two.
I think the right choice was made. The one on the left looks like a training guernsey and the one on the right is a bit lazy and only a variation on the 1999-2004 away guernsey.
They were all lazy. Come on, most people on this board could put three alternatives together that would be far more attractive than those. That thing on the left is the most boring guernsey ever.

I hated them all and was very happy we only ended up wearing the claw mark once in an home and away game.

The Melbourne Hawks had two opinions

Was just looking through my football files and found the "Why Hawthorn and Melbourne Should Merge" document that was released by Hawthorn and Melbourne in 1996.

I found the proposed uniforms and they were,
for Home and Away and Finals

for Pre Season and Ansett Cup

Was just looking through my football files and found the "Why Hawthorn and Melbourne Should Merge" document that was released by Hawthorn and Melbourne in 1996.

I found the proposed uniforms and they were,
for Home and Away and Finals

for Pre Season and Ansett Cup
So they had almost the exact same colours as Adelaide (mustard yellow...) in a far less appealing design.

Henness, this whole DVD centres simply around Freo's formation? If so, I'll have to find a copy. Our entrance into the league is something rather undocumented on the internet. I was born in 1994 as well, so I can't remember the starting up of the club. What is the title called, and is it still available? Secondly, are they the only tops presented in the doco?

A query - with the AFL wanting a second WA side, was it always going to be a Fremantle based entity? Were there considerations for, say, a team called 'Perth'?

It's also very interesting to look at those proposed jumpers. They all seem more timeless than the anchor. And I have to admit, I think they all look good. There's no real eyesore. Considering it was the nineties and the club had four colours, the end product isn't awfully embarrassing.

A fair question - you should post on the freo board for some us old timers to help you with that. Was not aware of this DVD though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:eek: Um, I'll pass... but I don't know where they got the colour combination from...

Mero will probably know exactly why but remember back in the late 1800s/early 1900s they had nowhere near the same amount of selections when it came to colours. They couldn't try and use bright, bold and new exciting colours like Port's teal, Freo's purple and GWS's orange; they simply had to choose whatever was available. The dye I think had to be imported all the way from England (on boats which took months). Brown and gold were obviously the most unique and easiest available at the time Hawthorn joined the VFL I guess.
Anyway, I actually quite like the two colours together. With the brown shorts and hooped socks I honestly think it's one of the best kits in the league, so much that a Hawthorn home guernsey is next on my list. The white number panel really does break things up perfectly imo, but that's a completely different issue for a completely different thread. Back ontopic now guys :thumbsu:

There was a competition held in 1914 whe Hawthorn were joining the VFA.
They were told they could not wear Blue & Gold, their colours, so they had to find an alternative. (Williamstown were already Blue & Gold)
Apparently there were over a dozen entries, and Brown and Gold won the competition because no other clubs wore Brown.
I have never found anything saying who proposed it, or how it was voted on, just that that combination won the competition.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it, but I was just curious.
Brown is like Freo's Purple, it's unique. Do you reckon when they chose the colours, did they regret them?? I know these weren't their original colours, but when did they realise that the colours look like, well, a used toilet?

Mero will probably know exactly why but remember back in the late 1800s/early 1900s they had nowhere near the same amount of selections when it came to colours. They couldn't try and use bright, bold and new exciting colours like Port's teal, Freo's purple and GWS's orange; they simply had to choose whatever was available. The dye I think had to be imported all the way from England (on boats which took months). Brown and gold were obviously the most unique and easiest available at the time Hawthorn joined the VFL I guess.
Anyway, I actually quite like the two colours together. With the brown shorts and hooped socks I honestly think it's one of the best kits in the league, so much that a Hawthorn home guernsey is next on my list. The white number panel really does break things up perfectly imo, but that's a completely different issue for a completely different thread. Back ontopic now guys :thumbsu:
In all honesty I think dull teal is the total opposite of exciting.

Also the coloured guernseys they used to have to import from England would take 2 years to arrive, which is the reason Essendon were forced to wear Navy Blue for the first two years of their existence!

In all honesty I think dull teal is the total opposite of exciting.

Also the coloured guernseys they used to have to import from England would take 2 years to arrive, which is the reason Essendon were forced to wear Navy Blue for the first two years of their existence!

Back in the 90s it was ;) The duller version only lasted a couple of years before the brighter one came in too. When you compare it to the other colours in the league at the time it certainly was quite revolutionary and would've caught the eyes of many. I don't mind the colour, although I am biased
And yeah, I didn't know the exact details. Was just giving Andonis a bit of background info and leaving Mero to clear things up. As it turned out, my guess was a little bit different to the truth anyway :eek:

Back in the 90s it was ;) The duller version only lasted a couple of years before the brighter one came in too. When you compare it to the other colours in the league at the time it certainly was quite revolutionary and would've caught the eyes of many. I don't mind the colour, although I am biased
And yeah, I didn't know the exact details. Was just giving Andonis a bit of background info and leaving Mero to clear things up. As it turned out, my guess was a little bit different to the truth anyway :eek:
Yeah the teal they use now is better, would it be fair to say the teal they had initially was a green teal?

Yeah the teal they use now is better, would it be fair to say the teal they had initially was a green teal?

Yeah, probably. More of a 'teal' colour than the more 'aqua' coloured one used now too. I remember reading about a study somewhere and I think teal was actually one of the most popular sporting colours around. Used quite a bit in the USA I think. Goes really well with the black and white on our current guernsey, couldn't pick a better colour myself

I have to say, Port has a great set of guernseys and colours. May even be the best in the league ATM
Yeah it is great, very minimalistic and appealing, but still modern, which is a style you can tell Fremantle has tried to emulate. The only thing that irks me about it is how the V doesn't quite reach the shoulders of the guernsey.

I know it's a weird concept, but if GWS had a charcoal back, they could just about have the best Kit of guernseys in the league right now with their clash looking good too, wonder how the Canberra one will turn out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

Back