Traded Junior Rioli (West Coast) - [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't remotely true. Rioli would get a game in every forward line in the league, and even if he wouldn't, he'd definitely get a game in our garbage forward line.
Your opinion….. his playing history and lack of professionalism tells a different story……… they’re not exactly lining up around the block .

Your opinion….. his playing history and lack of professionalism tells a different story……… they’re not exactly lining up around the block .
You either haven't watched him enough or are rating him based on his drug history.

A fit Willie would play in any side.

North, Richmond and Port have already shown interest.

3*500k is very generous imo

It was purely matching the Richmond offer but with the same contract restraints in place. It's why WCE thought the deal was done, Rhino leaked it to the media and Willie was given time away from the club.

Following that period Rioli or his manager got on the phones and opened up to other clubs to see if there was anything else available. Port have come through with a 4 year offer no strings attached.

Rioli is running from his own self inflicted problems that he refuses to take any responsibility for.

Port may even be offering him less money per year but a 4 year contract with no strings.

West Coast can end this now by giving him what he wants. If he is that good and they want him, stump up , its a free market. Otherwise move on.
Why would we just give him what he wants if we believe what he wants (or is being offered by Port) is over the market value?

At this point in time, it seems Port is valuing him higher than us and are willing to take a punt on a good footballer that comes with a fair bit of baggage.

Why would we just give him what he wants if we believe what he wants (or is being offered by Port) is over the market value?

At this point in time, it seems Port is valuing him higher than us and are willing to take a punt on a good footballer that comes with a fair bit of baggage.
Exactly, so its a free market for players and valuations are different depending on clubs needs. If he isnt wanted and valued accordingly he walks with a token exchange.

Exactly, so its a free market for players and valuations are different depending on clubs needs. If he isnt wanted and valued accordingly he walks with a token exchange.
Not valuing an object higher than another entity doesn't mean you don't value that object at all. People don't just give up their possessions for a token exchange because someone else valued it higher.

I'd rather let him go into the PSD than a accept token pick in the 50s. He might end up at Port anyway, but you'll still have to get him past North and Essendon and I imagine they'll definitely take a look. Hopefully the club has the same view.

I think both clubs will come to agreement that values Rioli somewhere around a pick in the early 30s.

I get your point but isn’t every other one of your good players all been paid way above market value? I know Rioli ain’t half the player of guys like Yeo, Gaff, Kelly, McGovern, Darling etc but he shouldn’t be getting less than your average player so your loyal b graders get paid
Media reports seem to indicate we're paying big bucks to our top tier players. The club denied it (which they obviously were going to) but when you read the contemporaneous reporting around the contract negotiations of our stars it would be hard to come away with the impression that those reports are completely inaccurate. Some are probably wrong, because logic dictates a club can't just keeping coughing up overs and stay under the cap. But if I was being honest, I'd say on the balance of probabilities our salary payments are skewed towards our big names players more than most clubs.

The club put out a statement that numerous topliners took pay cuts through Covid that (from memory) were deeper than most clubs but I must admit I can't recall the specifics, when those cuts expired or what other clubs did and I can't be bothered going on a deep dive into Google just at the moment. I can see a ten minute google becoming a three-hour clickhole on that topic.

The reports that Rioli is being offered 500Kpa (~1.5x median salary) seem well overs to me. Game changer on his day, but inconsistent and obviously with a fair bit of baggage. IMO 15th-20th highest paid player on most lists is about right, whereas 500k would have to put a player up around the top ten, if not just inside it. A consistent version of Junior with no off field issues could be a top ten player at most clubs, but those are big ifs.

If Port want to take that risk, particularly with the four year deal than I'm happy for my club to stand back and let them go for it. Whilst Rioli is a good footballer to be able to put on your team sheet, if those numbers are accurate I don't believe that's a team friendly contract. It's up to us now to extract the best value we can and given the circumstances I think we are well within our rights to do that.

Question for west coast fans.

If Fantasia got a 2 year ban in the same scenario willie did, then requested a trade to west coast what draft pick should west coast cough up?

Now don’t bullshit and start making excuses or muddying the waters.

It’s a simple question and all it needs in response is to name the draft pick.

This is going to be fun.

Fantasia is clearly a better player than Rioli and any west coast fan who claims otherwise would out themselves as a complete and utter one eyed moron.

So again, theoretical

West coast fans, Fantasia , 2 year ban for the same thing willie did, out of contract asked for a trade to west coast .. what’s the draft pick?

West coast fans are pushing the big contract angle because it fits the narrative they want. Sounds complete bullshit but they’re desperately peddling it.
Ellis also hit back at reports that Rioli’s potential deal at Port Adelaide was “lucrative”.

“There’s money there; (West Coast) have offered him good money – similar money to Port Adelaide and similar years. I think it’d be a wise thing to stay at West Coast … and I think he does owe it to them,” he said.

Sounds like the money is not that much different according to this ex Eagle.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does the trade offer have to match the contract offer?

Just because a club offers a semi-lucrative multi-year deal doesn’t mean they have to stump up an equivalent trade offer.

It’s ridiculous logic.
Because if clubs judge a player at a high salary then they believe that player is a good player and good players demand good returns in trades. It is that simple

West coast fans are pushing the big contract angle because it fits the narrative they want. Sounds complete bullshit but they’re desperately peddling it.
It's not the fans pushing the " big contract" angle.
Several media outlets have said it's roughly the same money WC offered but for 4 years instead of 3 with no clauses.

If Fantasia got a 2 year ban in the same scenario willie did, then requested a trade to west coast what draft pick should west coast cough up?

This is going to be fun.

Fantasia is clearly a better player than Rioli and any west coast fan who claims otherwise would out themselves as a complete and utter one eyed moron.

So again, theoretical

West coast fans, Fantasia , 2 year ban for the same thing willie did, out of contract asked for a trade to west coast .. what’s the draft pick?
That's just a dumb hypothetical.

Fantasia is a jet but can't get on the paddock.
Has played 21 games in the last 3 years.

So you want a theoretical argument on what pick Fantasia is worth if he got a 2 year ban and was wrecked by injury?

Honestly, why are you getting your panties in a twist on what we think he's worth?

We do a deal which we think is fair, which most think is around the 25 to 30 or he goes to the PSD.

It's not hard.

4 year contract. Currently 79th in the AFL player ratings (1 ahead of Connor Rozee) Anything less then a 2nd round pick would be pathetic.

This is going to be fun.

So again, theoretical

In this hypothetical who's hamstrings have been surgically attached to Fantasia to make any side in the league remotely interested in offering him a contract?

If he requested a trade to my club I would offer a 3rd rounder for Port to keep him on their salary cap
Jane fondas

So you want a theoretical argument on what pick Fantasia is worth if he got a 2 year ban and was wrecked by injury?

Honestly, why are you getting your panties in a twist on what we think he's worth?

We do a deal which we think is fair, which most think is around the 25 to 30 or he goes to the PSD.

It's not hard.
No one plays the psd card these days , player welfare in this case. Future 3rd my guess.

It's not hard.
Both values similar so comparable hypothesis.. pick30+

When fit he's a top 5-10 player for us. Our best i50 kick. There's no point losing him for peanuts, hence why most West coast fans want to hold onto him.
Understand, but as others have suggested we are taking on a massive risk contract wise, somethng in high 30s prob gets it done. If not acceptable then just give him the extra year, seems happy to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Junior Rioli (West Coast) - [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back